• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z means overclockable, but msi z97 pc mate is not 'overclocking series'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dralbert

Registered
So, in theory a z series mobo is overclockable, whatever the maker, but msi, and others presumably, have separate separate series called gaming or overclocking. I presuming this means, that, although all z series can be overclocked, the oc series is even better for oc.
I want to oc, but not fanatically. If I can increase my 4670k clock speed from 3.8 ghz turbo to, say, 4.3ghz, I'll be happy. Will an asus z97 a, or a msi pc mate be enough for that, or will I need, say, an asrock extreme6 or an asus z97 pro?
Because if the asus z97 a is enough, I'll save thirty quid and get that.
Or if someone can tell me that the cheaper asus or msi has inferior capacitors etc, for definite, then I'll get the superior board.
Any replies gratefully received.

Welcome to the forums. Most non oem boards can be overclocked. If you haven't made your purchase, the Asrock is great. For about $150 US, you can get the Extreme 6. I have been a bit put off by Asus, because of the experiences some have had with them. MSI is not the first brand that comes to mind for over clocking. My top 2 picks are Gigabyte and Asrock.

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in thinking a lot of motherboard buying seems to come down to reputation?
I can get as asus 797a for £88, or an asrockextreme6 for £100, and it seems you're saying the extra twelve quid is definitely worth it. Not because of quantifiable differences, (both after all, can be overclocked), but because asrock have a better rep and because the extreme 6 is better for overclocking?
What makes the extreme6 better for overclocking?
Will it be more software features or better build? I ought to add I will be buying a 4670k
thanks

With any board ymmv in regards to overclocking. The Extreme 4 is a great board, too. It will be less money than the Extreme 6. Unless you need the extra features of the Extreme 6, the Extreme 4 is the way to go. I wouldn't rely on software to overclock, it's best if its done in uefi/bios. It looks like you haven't made any of your purchases, yet. Post up what you are thinking of buying, psu, gpu, etc.

So, in theory a z series mobo is overclockable, whatever the maker, but msi, and others presumably, have separate separate series called gaming or overclocking. I presuming this means, that, although all z series can be overclocked, the oc series is even better for oc.
I want to oc, but not fanatically. If I can increase my 4670k clock speed from 3.8 ghz turbo to, say, 4.3ghz, I'll be happy. Will an asus z97 a, or a msi pc mate be enough for that, or will I need, say, an asrock extreme6 or an asus z97 pro?
Because if the asus z97 a is enough, I'll save thirty quid and get that.
Or if someone can tell me that the cheaper asus or msi has inferior capacitors etc, for definite, then I'll get the superior board.
Any replies gratefully received.
I have no idea what a MSI PC mate is or if it has any/many overclocking options.

The Z97-A is a solid choice.

You have to realize that, where most people want to overclock, including yourself, darn near any Z based board will get you there.

Earthdog, I'm just beginning to realise your last comment, nearly any z board will do. Problem is, I'm a perfectionist with too much time on my hands.
Anyhow, here goes for mark 2 of my build:
cpu: 4670k
mobo: asrock z97 extreme 4 or 6 or asus 797 a (I'm beginning to get it; it won't make a huge difference and ymmv)
case: (already bought) in win grone
storage: crucial m500 128gb
RAM:dunno yet was going to get hyper x 4gb 1866 but may get quicker

I intend to buy a gpu after a few months, in the meantime playing low res games using IGP. I used a radeon 7850 to work out wattage on new egg psu calculator and it gave me 444w, so I guess a 600w psu would be ok?

I would post links but on xp it just comes out with lines of stuff.

Back