• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia 750TI and Asus PB287Q 4k monitor problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stukan

Registered
For those interested in 4K monitors, my problems may be of interest to you!

I have sent the following email to nVidia cs as follows:

:)
How to cold/warm boot to my main display connected to Display Port?

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H v1.0 with F22 uefi bios

I have recently acquired a Asus PB287Q 4k monitor and connected to the Display Port as my main display. Another 40" LG LCD panel connected to HDMI as extended display for movies.

1. Cold/warm boot PC, Bios boot screens will only appears on the my HDMI extended display. It will be nice to have them on both displays. (w7 boots OK into the main screen.)
2. Warm boot to w7 will always black out the main display connected to Display Port, while the HDMI extended display is OK.
:)

nVidia replied as follows:
::(
Hello Stuart,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Vaseem assisting you with the query that you have.

From the email, I understand that you would like to know how you can get both the screen or at least the Display port screen to show the Booting screen.

I will be glad to help you on the query that you have.

Please be informed that the Dual display or multi display feature will be activated only once you are in the Windows and once the boot process is completed.
With regards to HDMI taking the primary display, the ports on the card will have a certain number as to which one will be the primary and then the secondary.

In your case, in comparison to the Display port and the HDMI, the HDMI seems to be the primary one and hence the Boot screen or Bios screen shows up on the HDMI.
This is a hardware design of the graphics card and hence its completely normal. There is no way we can modify this unfortunately.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Vaseem
NVIDIA Customer Care
:(

Unfortunately, the warm boot black out at my 4K monitor connected to the Display Port was not addressed.

Does anyone have experiences with difficulties with Display Port connection on nVidia or AMD graphic cards? Anyone knows fixes to my problems?

For those who opt for 4K monitors, I suggest you guys should wait until such problems are ironed out.

stukan.

It seems to me having display on all three available display ports (Display Port, HDMI and DVI) can be fixed by a driver revision and nVidia should be able to do it with ease. Why nVidia shy away with it is beyond my comprehension.

However, warm boot black out on the main screen connected to the Display Port is a definite problem nVidia should address. No one can work with the extended display alone on w7.

I am still awaiting answer from nVidia on my second question.

I wonder if AMD graphic has the same problems with Display Port in a multi-monitors setup!

Last edited by a moderator:
In NVCP you should be able to select a primary display

I have a similar set up only it is HDMI and DVI ?

The problems seems to be a Display Port connection related. This is the only port that can go native for a 4K resolution, HDMI and DVI will not.

Previously, I use the AMD 4850 with VGA and DVI connections and PC boot display on both screens without problem.

So, like I said before, anyone whose may be interested to go for a 4K monitor,
please wait! Booting up Windows can be a pain in the ***.

stukan

This....

...why do you want the bios on both screens? My amd does this and I find it annoying, lol!

Bios does not recognize which screen is main or extended (It is only true after Windows is booted). Bios probably will not know which graphic card display ports is/are being connected. And hence, boot screen should be shown on all available display ports from the graphic card. The only party able to implement this is the graphic card manufacturers.

I guess I could care less, upon boot, what the monitor config is. :shrug: :thup:

Last edited:
If you're that worried about having your BIOS on the 4K screen, then un-plug the HDMI connection.

NVidia only starts up on one display, period, end of story.

If you're that worried about having your BIOS on the 4K screen, then un-plug the HDMI connection.

NVidia only starts up on one display, period, end of story.

Unplugging the HDMI connection does not make a multi-monitors setup. It is like cutting your own toes to avoid a problem.

If this true, this is a hard lession I have learned. I will probably have go back to an AMD card from now on.

Unplugging the HDMI connection does not make a multi-monitors setup. It is like cutting your own toes to avoid a problem.

If this true, this is a hard lession I have learned. I will probably have go back to an AMD card from now on.

Do you really need to see the BIOS screen every time you boot though?
Unless I'm entering the BIOS, then I don't even look at the computer until it needs my password.

I think he sees it every time, but he just wants it on a different screen?

Won't happen.

The ports on the GPU are prioritized for first operation.
It'll go to the first in line of the ports in use (in this case HDMI).

For those who made casual remarks on my post, you have no idea what sort of pain I have to get through to get W7 booted.

1. w7 cannot be warm booted because the main display will be black out.
2. cold boot immediately after pc shut down will also leave the main display black out.
3. Cold boot can be occasionally (but not always) successful only after keeping power shut down for more than half a minute.

For those who made casual remarks on my post, you have no idea what sort of pain I have to get through to get W7 booted.

2. cold boot immediately after pc shut down will also leave the main display black out.
3. Cold boot can be occasionally (but not always) successful only after keeping power shut down for more than half a minute.

Yes, with that much problems, I do need to see the Boot screen to boot w7.

Basic troubleshooting here:
- Does the issue occur with the HDMI connection unplugged? i.e. Do you get the blackout with only the 4K monitor connected

Yes, with that much problems, I do need to see the Boot screen to boot w7.
1. So, when you reboot, the monitors don't come back on?
2. It never comes back on?

Basic troubleshooting here:
- Does the issue occur with the HDMI connection unplugged? i.e. Do you get the blackout with only the 4K monitor connected

Single 4K display connected to the Display Port is OK. Works every time.

The main problem is not only boot screen will not appears on the 4K main screen, but the 4K main screen prone to black out after w7 is booted.

1. So, when you reboot, the monitors don't come back on?
2. It never comes back on?

Like I said, warm boot or cold boot right after boot failure will always leave my 4K main screen black out and it will not come back even if you have waited for hours.

Single 4K display connected to the Display Port is OK. Works every time.

The main problem is not only boot screen will not appears on the 4K main screen, but the 4K main screen prone to black out after w7 is booted.

Try this then:
- Connect the TV to DVI instead of HDMI and see if you get a blackout still.

Try this then:
- Connect the TV to DVI instead of HDMI and see if you get a blackout still.

unfortunately, my LG 40" screen does not have DVI (HDMI and vga only). I can connect DVI via converter to my LG vga port. But I doubted if this will fix the black out problem on my 4K screen.

You might doubt it, but I've seen the little overlooked details fix things before.

Go ahead with the DVI->VGA connection.

You might doubt it, but I've seen the little overlooked details fix things before.

Go ahead with the DVI->VGA connection.

OK, I will go and pick up a converter tomorrow and find out if this will fix the problem.

But I am also keen to see if anyone who has the AMD cards seeing the same problem I have with Display Port connection.

Anyone? Plz advise!

OK, I will go and pick up a converter tomorrow and find out if this will fix the problem.

But I am also keen to see if anyone who has the AMD cards seeing the same problem I have with Display Port connection.

Anyone? Plz advise!

I only know of one or two frequent users here with 4K monitors, but I don't remember what GPU they use.

I only know of one or two frequent users here with 4K monitors, but I don't remember what GPU they use.

Can you try to follow up with your friend. I hope they are using a different graphic card and do not have the problem I have, Then, I can pin the problem to nVidia for solution.

Back