• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ZORIN 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterabbit391

Registered
Has anyone used the distrobution ....Zorin....???

It is the first linux system I have installed. Now I have it installed on both computers.
( install is easy and automatic. ) (and Fast)

I really really enjoy it.

The GUI is very classy, it's based on Ubuntu, Upgrades Itself, and the Software Center makes installing packages and programs a breeze.

Also it does that cool workspace cube thing where you have 4 seperate workspaces that revolve around a 3 dimensional cube activate by the middle mouse button.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has used it , and maybe there is a better one out there. But . Try it, You'll like it. Especially once you install teh first upgrade.....

~$ Waka waka$ ~

I looked at it, gave it a big old pass. For me, it had absolutely nothing compelling. A lot of the hype focuses around it looking like Windows... to me this is a big MEH. I haven't seen anything at all that has made me even want to put it in a VM

Use something debian based, like Mint or openSuse. Both communities have great support.

I don't know much. But my first hand at installing packages " tar.gx"

doesn't work for me right now.

but the one that was .deb worked fine.

I just learned how to work linux,

go look at puppy linux, go try a bunch of distros for that matter.
I run a modded lean pup from a flash drive.
zorin is a super heavyweight.

I set it up a few years ago. Hardware compatibility was o.k. But I ambled on to other distros that suited my set-up better at that time.

I spent the last week downloading software on Zorin.

can I transfer that stuff if I go to puppy ?

Has anyone used the distrobution ....Zorin....???

It is the first linux system I have installed. Now I have it installed on both computers.
( install is easy and automatic. ) (and Fast)

I really really enjoy it.

The GUI is very classy, it's based on Ubuntu, Upgrades Itself, and the Software Center makes installing packages and programs a breeze.

Also it does that cool workspace cube thing where you have 4 seperate workspaces that revolve around a 3 dimensional cube activate by the middle mouse button.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has used it , and maybe there is a better one out there. But . Try it, You'll like it. Especially once you install teh first upgrade.....

~$ Waka waka$ ~

Glad to see a new Linux user have a positive experience, stick around and get comfortable.

I think that you will eventually find that you can put together what you want and need, without being too "distro-centric". ;)

I spent the last week downloading software on Zorin.

can I transfer that stuff if I go to puppy ?

I wouldnt suggest hopping unless you have a specific need you are trying to fill. Just because I didn't see much value for my needs doesn't mean you should switch.

Use what makes you happy, in this case if Zorin is neato-burito for you aces :thup:

Whenever you ask "what do you think about X" you are going to get a wide variety of opinions, none of which should compel you to switch unless there is something that your current distro is not doing for you.

Arch is all the rage lately, and while I do have a box or 2 that has it, I quite frankly do not see what the big deal is :shrug:. In fact for getting work done I moved back to Ubuntu specifically because I didn't have to fight with webex or vSphere, or printing. All of which I do semi-regularly at work and to be quite frank either never worked or were so convoluted that it wasnt worth my time. I spent 9 months on Arch at work and finally gave it up feeling satisfied that for myself, I gave it an honest effort but in the end I was happier with Ubuntu.

Stick with what works for you and damn what the internet says about distro XYZ

You're absolutely right Stratus !!

Zorin is working fine for me, EXCEPT !!

Caddi Daddi mentioned that Zorin is heavy. Being a new user I didn't really think about that, as a variable.
I have noticed that it gets laggy doing simple things. I am experiencing low Frame rates, on even simple games (like Colobot !! )

And I am open to surfing around for other Distro's,

But the problem I am having now is ........

I downloaded puppy, and burnt the .iso to a CD,

Upon re-starting, I press f-12,
it brings me to the boot selector,
I select "cd"
but then Zorin boots up.

Has Zorin hijacked my system?

or am I burning the ISO wrong, do I need to unpack anything?
WOuld it be better to put it on a USB ?

But the problem I am having now is ........

I downloaded puppy, and burnt the .iso to a CD,

Upon re-starting, I press f-12,
it brings me to the boot selector,
I select "cd"
but then Zorin boots up.

Has Zorin hijacked my system?

or am I burning the ISO wrong, do I need to unpack anything?
WOuld it be better to put it on a USB ?

Zorin has nothing to do with boot order of your computer. Its either a bios setting or the cd/dvd (for whatever reason) is not bootable

I looked at it, gave it a big old pass. For me, it had absolutely nothing compelling. A lot of the hype focuses around it looking like Windows... to me this is a big MEH. I haven't seen anything at all that has made me even want to put it in a VM

i hate when they do this, linux is *Nothing* like windows :bang head

i understand why they are doing it, to herd windows people to linux, but tbh if there is more compatibility between the two application wise the better people would be more inclined to use and try it. the norm will not know about WINE, and how to configure it to work with your applications which is a major turn off for most people.

i understand why they are doing it, to herd windows people to linux, but tbh if there is more compatibility between the two application wise the better people would be more inclined to use and try it. the norm will not know about WINE, and how to configure it to work with your applications which is a major turn off for most people.

QFT!

In addition to that, making it look similar sets the experience off on the wrong foot. When something is different, then people usually dont expect it to act the same as product X. Once they look the same, you expect them to behave the same, and when they don't there is a lot of disappointment; this hinders adoption in my opinion

I find that Puppy looks more like windows than Zorin.

But I didn't think Zorin was that popular.

When I oringally looked for a linux instillation.
The first searches yeild Mint as number one. and Ubuntu number 2.
I wanted something off the beaten path so I just picked the vary last one in the list
" Zorin ".

Only problem I am having with puppy is that I can't get the network configured right.
I tried all of the automatic options to connect to my Linksys
but nothing came through.........

Back