• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Droid X: using it to d/l some huge files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I have a relatively slow speed DSL connection 1 Mbps. It's good enough for most of my work and internet needs -- except in the case of these huge GiB files.
I'm thinking that instead of maxing my DSL connection speed and incurring the early termination fees for backing out of that plan, that I'll go on a pay-as-you-go data plan on my Droid X, d/l the files to it, then xfer them to my PC.

I was thinking of using a Page Plus Cellular pay-as-you-go plan for the Droid X.

Is there anyway you can just use a Droid-X as an access point via the USB 2.0 cable connection and directly connect through the Droid-X to the internet from my PC?
That's what I'd really like to do.

On further research this won't work, the Droid-X is only capable of 3G speeds, which are hardly better than
my DSL speeds. I might repost this question later, when I get my Samsung S3 Galaxy (which is a 4G phone)

Last edited:
yes you can, it's called USB tethering.
Some plans charge extra to include tethering capabilities, like Sprint/Boost mobile/Virgin mobile.

you download an app, and then download a program to your computer. the computer then uses your phone as if it was a modem.

On the downside, there's generally limits to how bunch you can download before the speeds are throttled.

Check your plan for details.

I used to use PDAnet when I was in an area with no wifi. I just warn that some providers can throttle your download speed with tethering. Some companies offer tethering plans and if you use an app that bypasses they app they can charge.

Back