• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

My W7PRO takes 2mins to go to desktop after inserting the password?

Just recently reinstalled the MBR on SSD due to accidentally deleting it. Any quick tweaks to speed up PW to desktop as normal?

Berne

Run the command msconfig, and look for things in your startup that you don't need. If you have things like adobe updater, etc, remove the check marks.

Sounds like Windows is in horrible shape. Possibly a bad drive. :(

Looks like you're going to need a wipe and reinstall ASAP.

+1

Especially if it's the SSD from this thread, it should be much faster than that. I'd just skip all the "fixes" and go for the big hammer.

EDIT: Also, try to be more descriptive in your thread titles in the future. That way, people searching for answers in the future will better know if what they seek is within :)

Hi,

Yes a few days ago I deleted some unused partitions on my SSD, after some OC advice. I deleted two partitions BUT one of them must of had the MBR and I had then to use a rescue disk to repair the MBR. This has worked and all is well apart from the long delay after pw is inserted?

Do you all think a full wipe of the SSD is required? Seems a bit much for such a small issue....tell you what . Ill filter my taskmanager and see if perf improves.

Yes I will tune in on the subject lines of my future thread descriptions, thank you.

Berne:confused:

It's not that small of an issue. You deleted a big component of your Windows installation, one that likely contained several ties to your registry and other areas of configuration. Then you just recreated a replacement. I wouldn't expect it to work at the same level and it hasn't been my experience that it will.

Start fresh. It'll feel better :)

Starting Fresh

Hi,

After editing the Taskmanager / Startup items, time from OS password to desktop is now down to 1min ? So what does starting fresh consist of? Thanks for the prompt reply.

Berne

Backup all your personal data, make note of what applications you have installed and would like to have after reinstall, then reinstall Windows and all of the aforementioned apps.

I wonder if the partition is no longer aligned properly. I understand that can whack performance pretty severely.

However, I have no idea how to address that problem, or even find out if it's happening :p

EDIT: Don't let me give you too much hope though, it sounds like somethings pretty seriously misbehaving. A fresh install would save you much pain in futile diagnostics.

After you've done your fresh install, and installed all your drivers, app, updates, etc, keep as much stuff out of your startup as is possible.

Back