• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirtBags/DustBags + Watercooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mormad

Hello everybody.

I live in an area where there is a lot of dust. The fact that we have carpets doesn't help the situation. So, for my new PC I decided I wanted to protect it as much as possible from any dust.

I want to buy a bag (could be filter bags, or just plain bags that could cover my PC fully). Make some holes there for all the wiring and the inputs (roms etc.) and water cool the whole system. My question, do you see any problems with such a setup? I am a noob, so I have no idea if water cooling requires anything that may prevent me using a bag. Also, since it will be water cooled the fact that I got a bag over it won't raise my temps, am I right to think so? Could you maybe suggest other ideas?

Thank you very much.

Don't cover your PC as you need air flow whether you're air or water cooling. Buy some filters for your case and reconfigure your internal air flow. Also, I would advise on keeping the PC off the carpet and if possible keeping it on the desk area.

If you do choose to go H20 cooling, I recommend on reading our water cooling stickies in our water cooling section of the forum and starting a thread there.

Thanks

They make dust filters for your case fans. They're not expensive, and they keep most dust out.

Most dust is the operative word here. I have all my intake fans filtered and I still see a fine layer of dust inside my system.

I've aksed a similar question in the past, and someone said there are industrial PC's that are sealed against their environment, maybe they OP could look into those for some ideas.

My initial question is WHY would you want such protection? 99% of people wouldn't go through that trouble. I live in a dusty area and have carpets as well. The filters on the intake do a fine job. As Magellan said, it certainly doesn't catch it all, but it is leaps and bounds better than without them.

ED, isn't all the air that comes into your home pre-filtered by your AC unit?

The AC unit filters the air in the house, it does not filter the air coming into the house, no.

If the A/C has a HRV/ERV (most do not), the air from outdoors is indeed filtered.

I suggest those universal washable filters intended for window units. It's cheap and most likely has enough material for many PCs, including a spare set or two.

Back