• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD drive does not show up, connected to USB port with a SATA to USB adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pharmacist

Hello all knowing users.

I connected other HDDs to the PC USB port using my adapter example HGST SATA drive. Win XP detects
the drive as external storage (no problem). But with WD HDDs Win XP does not make the connection ??

One thing to note is the WD drives also have a separate 2x4 pin connector (alternative power connection I think ? ) where the HGST drives have only the SATA connector.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

THanks

Have you checked Disk Management or Device Manager to see if it listed?

It may have issues with that converter. Have you tried the disk internally through a SATA port?

Actually I tried this with no success on both ( HGST and WD type) before using the USB adapter. It looked like I needed to install and configure the drivers for the Disks I wanted to access. Seemed troublesome since I do not have them, so I decided to use the Adapter instead and I have had no problems using it with the HGST drives but the WD type I get this problem.

Back