• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop cd drive bay and wiring sata male to usb male

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

runloganrun

Does anyone know if the sata port, where a cd drive would go, has sufficient power to charge a phone? and where I can find the layout for the plug, to wire a usb connector into it right?

I want to make a small frame so I can just slide my phone into the side of my laptop, and have it connect to a usb male connector powered by the sata male connector. don't care about having data (but if anyone has suggestions for making that work, please let me know), just want a charger for now.

It's possible, some spinners can run off of just 5v, others need 12v (5v charges a phone). You could just check the leads with a multimeter and solder onto a 5v lead (if present) and ground. I'm not sure but I'm thinking those slide in drives are proprietary (in other words the connector pinout would depend on manufacturer and model)

It's possible, some spinners can run off of just 5v, others need 12v (5v charges a phone). You could just check the leads with a multimeter and solder onto a 5v lead (if present) and ground. I'm not sure but I'm thinking those slide in drives are proprietary (in other words the connector pinout would depend on manufacturer and model)

think that's what I'll have to try. I'll probably model and print something to fit it.

Do you know if the port is always powered, or if it needs a specific pin to activate/some input from the device?

Back