• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Speed Drop on FX-9590

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozi4ever

Hi,

Few weeks ago I got the new FX-9590, but I'm getting problems with the CPU core speed.
The core speed drops from 4.7GHZ to 1.4GHZ, this happens to all cores and it happens every few seconds...

I run some tests, it happens with gaming or ripping/encoding video files.
Here are 2 pics how it looks like in CPU-z and HW monitor :

Core Speed OK
SL0KexZ.png

Core Speed Drops
HvvgPvU.png

When gaming my FPS drops and when encoding as you can see on the pics the encode FPS drops from 40fps to 11fps...
Before the new FX-9590, I had the FX-8350 and it never had these problems and the encoding fps was around 60/70fps...

I try'd to reset the bios but no luck, disabled some of the power saving options and still same.
Temps are OK too I think. I'm really out of ideas, who can help me?

Here are my PC Specs:

Processor:
AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor

CPU Fan:
Corsair Hydro H100i

Video Card:
AMD Radeon R9 290x 4GB DD

RAM Memory:
8GB [Kingston Hyper-X, 1866 MHz]

Motherboard:
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Power Supply:
Cooler Master GX 650W

2x SSD Samung Evo

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1, 64-bit

:welcome: to OCF ozi4ever
I hate to say this but that board really isn't built for the 9590, it's not even on the support list. The motherboard you have on has a 4phase power system so my guess would be over current protection built into the mobo. You can try disabling APM and enabling HPC in bios ut I doubt that'll help. What you really need is a better motherboard for the CPU. One alternative is to try undervolting the CPU and see if you can maintain stability. Honestly though the board can't handle a CPU likt the 9 series. When you ran the 8350 were you at stock?

:welcome: to OCF ozi4ever
I hate to say this but that board really isn't built for the 9590, it's not even on the support list. The motherboard you have on has a 4phase power system so my guess would be over current protection built into the mobo. You can try disabling APM and enabling HPC in bios ut I doubt that'll help. What you really need is a better motherboard for the CPU. One alternative is to try undervolting the CPU and see if you can maintain stability. Honestly though the board can't handle a CPU likt the 9 series. When you ran the 8350 were you at stock?

Thnx for the info.

I try'd disabling the AMP and some other stuff but it didnt help at all. Like you said, i think its the motherboard.
When I had the 8350, the mobo was Asus. I bought the Asrock mobo and the CPU at the same time, so they are pretty new.
Do you have any recommended mobo for my 9590 CPU?

Last edited:
I think im gonna get this one ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0.
Asus said that these mobo will have 100% support for FX-9590 :D

That's a good choice, the Sabertooth is a fine board for this CPU. I have the CHV Formula z and a Sabertooth, they're both excellent boards.

agreed with all of the above. the mobi seems to be the culprit and the SB is a fine board.

Sabertooth and crosshair v are both good boards. Si is the Asrock 990fx extreme9. I have it paired with an fx 9370 and it runs/overclocks very good.

Also I'm surprised your board with a 9590 even booted let alone let you run games etc.

Back