• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon Help - Item arrived broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi all,
I recently ordered a "used" Saphire Hyper x OC 7970 Radeon from Amazon.ca. It was advertised in working condition, however when it arrived, the shroud seemed loose and the two fans fell off when I touched them. Nothing is holding them in place. Obviously I am not going to try the card in the pc w/ out working fans. Also, I am not sure the card even works. I reported the card as arriving damaged (no damage to packaging, the card was packaged well).

This is the reply from the seller SMAJIK:

The fans were fine when shipped. i tested the unit before shipping. So there are 3 options.

1. Return it for a refund and i'll put new fans on it and sell it for $50 more.

2. Buy replacement fans yourself (readily availiable on ebay for around $15)

3. i can order you a set of replacement fans and either have the seller ship them directly to you or i can have them shipped to me and then ship them to you.

Any of the above are fine with me.

I just took the fans off an identical unit to see how much work it is and it is simply 7 small screws and the fans pop off. Also if you choose to order replacement fans yourself, I'd be happy to stick the cost of the fans in an envelope and mail it to you. Alternatively i can pay in bitcoin.

I hope this offers an option that is acceptable.

My thoughts, I paid for a working card so fiddling w/ it seems like a lot of work and I am not even certain the card will work when I get the fans. The shroud seems wonky for a video card, my thoughts are that it was taken off at some point and maybe put back 20140923_144512.jpg on poorly...or....the box got tossed around in shipping and card broke. I am suspicious that both fans would fall off....they are not that fragile. I dont feel I should pay for return shipping....thoughts/suggestions about returning this?

Thanks

seems another option would be a straight up refund. esp since the card wasnt as desribed

Unless you paid $80 or less, I wouldn't even mess with it. Dude obviously rode the thing to death. He's probably trying to convince you to take the "fix it" option for one or more of the following :

-he knows the value on these cards is plummeting
-the card doesnt work at all and the more "layers of help" he puts between the original sale and the end where you realize or doesnt work, the better his chances are in a PP/amazon dispute
-he doesn't want to try and sell it again

All I know is, there's no reasonable explanation as to why the fans just feel off and the seller (quite suspiciously) didn't even try to provide one.

You can test it. Just set a case fan next to it blowing at the heat sink and watch the temps after it boots.

Return it for a refund and i'll put new fans on it and sell it for $50 more.
This statement right here tells me the seller wasn't being straight forward with you from the get go. Send it back for a full refund and wash your hands of the seller.

Thanks guys....I am going thru Amazons return policy...too many red flags from this guy.

Amazon takes their policies very seriously, and negative reviews hurt the seller quite a bit. Now Amazon won't make the seller resolve the situation with you, but Amazon will hurt the seller's ability to keep selling on Amazon. A negative review has a strong impact for 3 months. (1 negative review is equal to 20 positive reviews). Amazon also tracks all feedback and exchanges between 3rd party sellers and customers, however this isn't actively monitored, just reviewed periodicly. Definitely file a complaint with Amazon and the worst that will happen is you are out of your money, but the seller will definitely have a hard time for the next few months.

I use to work for a company that sold a small selection through the amazon market place, and I directly handled it all.

I have only had to do 1 return with Amazon. Was a over a few pairs of LED bulbs. One of the bulbs was DOA. Did the request through the Amazon app, they offered to refund half the cost (1 bulb out of 2 pack remember) and it was a done deal all in the same day. And again, all through the app. But we are also talking about an item that was only ~$8 and change to them.

As other said, his original message is incredibly shady, specifically the "I'll sell it for $50 more" part. He is trying to make you feel like you are losing out on the deal if you return it. Why wouldn't he have sold it for $50 more in the first place?

As other said, his original message is incredibly shady, specifically the "I'll sell it for $50 more" part. He is trying to make you feel like you are losing out on the deal if you return it. Why wouldn't he have sold it for $50 more in the first place?

Exactly.

He was fast getting back to me at first...until I went thru amazons return process...he has since gone dark. He has 3 days to send me info on how to return it or else I can file a claim..its been 2 days. Lesson learned...only buy from Amazon directly...never from 3rd party sellers.

You definitely took the right approach with this one, that guy is beyond shady. Amazon should take care of you, though. I've never personally dealt with the marketplace, but their CS has been outstanding all around, I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to ensure he makes it right. Worst case scenario, file a claim with the credit card you paid with (asssuming you paid with credit card).

Wait till you hear this....
I went through the return process as normal, and was supposed to hear back from Smagik in 3 business days. He did not reply, provide shipping information or inform how I was going to get my refund. I had no recourse but to go thru the A-Z guarantee process. Thats when he got verbally abusive...grab some popcorn:
Your a real piece of #### buddy, destroy an expensive GPU then submit a fraudulent claim.
Sh*t it back c****ucker <he actually wrote that...clever use of words :-/

So the refund went thru, thanks to Amazons A-Z Guarantee, I just need to ship it back and wash my hands of this guy. After years of ordering from Amazon, I have always had great service and never any problems until now. Even the 3rd party sellers are normally courteous and helpful, the only issue w/ 3rd party sellers, shipping might not be as fast. All Smagik (Bruce) had to do was suck it up and replace or refund the broken video card. Now he has a bad rating and im sure Amazon read his replies to me, they are not as courteous as he claims "Smagik is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

Just a side note..years ago I shipped a video card thru ebay, it arrived broken and was completely my fault as I did not box it properly (first time). I accepted responsibility and refunded the buyer, it was the honest and right thing to do.

Last edited:
Wait till you hear this....
I went through the return process as normal, and was supposed to hear back from Smagik in 3 business days. He did not reply, provide shipping information or inform how I was going to get my refund. I had no recourse but to go thru the A-Z guarantee process. Thats when he got verbally abusive...grab some popcorn:
Your a real piece of #### buddy, destroy an expensive GPU then submit a fraudulent claim.
Sh*t it back c****ucker <he actually wrote that...clever use of words :-/

So the refund went thru, thanks to Amazons A-Z Guarantee, I just need to ship it back and wash my hands of this guy. After years of ordering from Amazon, I have always had great service and never any problems until now. Even the 3rd party sellers are normally courteous and helpful, the only issue w/ 3rd party sellers, shipping might not be as fast. All Smagik (Bruce) had to do was suck it up and replace or refund the broken video card. Now he has a bad rating and im sure Amazon read his replies to me, they are not as courteous as he claims "Smagik is committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service."

Just a side note..years ago I shipped a video card thru ebay, it arrived broken and was completely my fault as I did not box it properly (first time). I accepted responsibility and refunded the buyer, it was the honest and right thing to do.

Make sure you forward his response onto the rep that was helping you with the A-Z claim. Most likely the person will be banned from selling for a few years.

I was looking for the option to do that but could not find it. The only option I found was to reply to the merchant. How do I contact Amazon Directly?
thanks!

If you have to, you should be able to use the chat feature with the amazon staff and ask them to review the communications between him and you since you couldnt find a way to contact the person who assisted with your claim

Glad everything is getting resolved without that jerk's help. Since you've got his address, you should sign him up for a subscription to some embarrassing magazine for his 'cooperation'. :)

Glad everything is getting resolved without that jerk's help. Since you've got his address, you should sign him up for a subscription to some embarrassing magazine for his 'cooperation'. :)

Sounds like harassment to me :(

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly"
- Mr. T Proverbs :thup:

Just a tip in case this happens to you:
Be sure to video the unboxing of the item or take photos. Make sure you record the condition of the box, the packing material and all the contents w/ in. Now you have evidence in case the seller does not take responsibility.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Back