• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Any suggestions on the spec that some people I know might build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

Hi.

Some people I know asked me to check out their new computer spec. And this is their 1st time ever building by themselves (after learning how to do so). But, I don't know the compatibilities/qualities/reliabilities or etc. aspect between components, so I ask here.

They plan to use their PC for Gaming (Medium-Heavy), encoding/decoding (1080p min.) the various media files, watch Blu-ray, and as their "Main PC".

So, here are the specs:
1. Spec 1
Case: Use what is currently being used
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR PSU or any suggestions
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 CPU
Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro(Wi-Fi ac)
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB
VGA: Either GTX770/GTX780/GTX970/GTX980
Storage: Use what is currently being used [1 HDD (OS) & 1 HDD (Data)]
ODD: Use what is currently being used (External USB Blu-ray Drive)
2. Spec 2
Case: Use what is currently being used
PSU: Corsair RM850 850W CP-9020056-NA or any suggestions
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 CPU
Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro(Wi-Fi ac)
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB
VGA: Either GTX770/GTX780/GTX970/GTX980
Storage: Use what is currently being used [1 HDD (OS) & 1 HDD (Data)]
ODD: Use what is currently being used (External USB Blu-ray Drive)

Any suggestion on above two specs?

*P.S: they told me today that they will have 10 additional hdd, which they have only 2 (OS & Data)
*P.S 2: THEY NEVRE PLANNED TO OVERCLOCK!!! So, no K version for them.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference here is the PSU, correct? Personally I'd go with the Corsair, and it's possible a 650 or 750 will be enough unless he wants SLI down the road.

Does he already have the O/S and storage drives? Might want to look at an SSD for the O/S instead of an HDD.

On the GPU, he should by the best he can afford. Don't want to skimp there if he's building a gamer.

@JLK03F150:

Thanks for reply.

1. Yes, only difference here is the PSU. They just told me today, that besides 2 HDDs that they mentioned on above spec they plan to build, they will buy at least 5 or more additional hdds (maybe 10). They said they are doing major back ups on all the minimum 1080p, videos that they have, and all the very high resolution photos they have. So, I think their choosing of 850W PSU are fine, right?

2. It's not just him, it's "they" as in plural (either M&F / M&M / F&F), sorry about confusion. So, they already have the O/S and storage drives. They didn't bother about SSD, because they will be always write and delete the entire drives, meaning they will delete (uninstall), reinstall, and recovery or etc. that are possible every single day. Hope you got what I meant.

3. Oh, ok. Well, they have money, so, I will tell them which ever they want to afford to buy.

Last edited:
@ EarthDog:
Thanks for reply.
If there are only 2 hdds total, it will be over kill.
But if there are another 10 hdd, it isn't, right?
Cause for 780, it says min recommended system power is 600W and 500W for 980, according to nvidia.
And if there will be 10 more hdd, it will requires more, right?
*Forgot to mention: they will run 10 additional hdd at the same time/all at once. Meaning, power on 10 hdd at the same time.

Make sure they get the K cpu. Getting a non K CPU with a Z97 board is not smart (unless you're aware of what you're doing and plan to upgrade your CPU later). So 4690K. Also get an aftermarket heatsink. Atleast a coolermaster hyper 212.

Make sure the ram is 2X4GB not 1X8GB or it won't run in dual channel.

Those power supplies (850W) are overkill for an i5 and single GPU. It won't hurt you but you could get a lower watt, cheaper power supply if you wanted to. However, the Corsair RM850 is excellent, and there's nothing wrong with getting it.

For GPU definitely 970. Best value per $$ in the high end GPUs right now. 780 performance for well under $400. Fantastic. Don't even look at other cards.

@Theocnoob
Thanks for reply.
You read about having 10 hdd at the same time above reply, right?
Also, they would never plan to overclock, so, I don't think they will pay extra for K version.
They ONLY wants longer life CPU.

You can hook a maximum of ten SATA devices to the motherboard you have specified. So, SSD, HDD, ODD, you can have 10 total. If they have 12 total drives they will need to make some of those drives external in cheap enclosures.

BTW, they will need to make sure that the case they are using/re-using has 10 HDD bays. Most cases don't have that many.

@Theocnoob:
They know the livmit of # of SATA ports on board. They plan to use the extra card that will give more SATA ports.
Also, you did read about what I wrote about them having SSD on the reply?
They didn't bother about SSD, because they will be always write and delete the entire drives, meaning they will delete (uninstall), reinstall, and recovery or etc. that are possible every single day. Hope you got what I meant.

And for the case, they will use these: Cooler Master HAF Stacker 915R (HAF-915R-KKN1) + Cooler Master HAF Stacker 915R (HAF-915R-KKN1) + Similar ones to Internal HDD Enclosure. So, drive space isn't problem.

And ODD will be External USB, so that doesn't count for internal case spaces.

Last edited:
If they are never overclocking, get a H series board and save some cash there. Just make sure it has all the sata ports you need.

As far as 10 HDDs and a power supply. HDD's use about 10W at max if it is 1.5TB or above. If not 7W. So that is about 100W/70W right? The card mfg rates it quite conservatively because there are a lot of crap psu's floating around. While the RM850 is a solid PSU, for $35 less you can get a better unit like the 750W EVGA Supernova G2.

A non overclocked 4690 and a 980/780ti all at stock with 10 HDDs would probably hit around 450W with everything running at 100%.. HDD's included. 650W is plenty for single GPU/CPU and even overclocking. Now, SLI/CFx, I would grab that 850W unit. ;)

Last edited:
@ EarthDog:
Does H series has lots of ports and advanced tech?
Cause they want to have all those features that above board that they mentioned.
Looking at H97 boards, they don't.

Back