• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820k Not overclocking very well... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hi Guys,

I just got my system built yesterday! Everything runs great. Only bummer so far is that my beautiful 5820k is a bit of a dud. See the spec list below:

Intel 5820k
32gb g.skill 2400 ddr4
Asrock x99 extreme4 motherboard
Noctua NH-D14 2011
970 GTX MSI
Corsair 750w gold
Corsair 580 Case (really good airflow case)

So, the only the stable overclcok running prime short ttf's is........ 4.1ghz :/ . Yeah not that great. The current voltage is at 1.150. Which is pretty low. I've tried all the way upto 1.25v (i'm only upping the voltage on the FIVR). The temp got way too high at this voltage and it crashes at 4.4ghz at this voltage pretty quickly too. I only ran it a few times until I saw what hardware monitor was reporting 96c temps! Yikes!! I immediately took the clock down and voltage till it ran prime at 80c. I thought about reseating the noctua, but I'm doubting that will really fix anything.

Saying that can anyone recommend me any bios setting to try and squeeze more out of the chip? I'm using the preset OC setting on my board and then manually adjusting the FIVR voltage on the chip. I'm also hard setting my DDR4 at 1.2v as well. Below is a screenshot of my hardware monitor. If anyone has any recommendation on what I should try I'll be extremely grateful!

Attachments

• crapoc.jpg
    crapoc.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 18,440
All you have to do is to set everything at auto, next raise CPU ratio to 42-44 and raise CPU voltage to 1.25-1.35V. You don't have to touch any other options as they will be adjusted automatically. Also up to 4.5GHz+ you don't have to play with additional voltages.

Average OC for these CPUs look like:
4.2GHz 1.15-1.25V
4.4GHz 1.25-1.35V
4.5GHz 1.3-1.4V

There are better and worse chips but that's what I've noticed so far.

Thanks woomack! I hear yah with the bios settings. I'm used to manually setting everything in the past. I'm a bit of a dinosaur to overclocking since my last build was a q9450. I will try again with what you've said. I guess the real problem then is my temps. I have a great case. Maybe reseating the heatsink would help. I did my own method of covering the entire area with a VERY thin layer of AS5 and then half a grain of rice spot in the middle. It's done well for me in the past, but maybe I need to just only do the full grain of rice and that's it.

As the image shows one core got upto 82c on only 1.150v/4.1ghz. I dunno what else I can do. I can't raise the volts anymore since the temps are way too high.

I don't know what my noctua should be doing to control temps. Is this the normal temp one would see with this heatsink on this type of chip?

For large cores usually better works thin layer of TIM. It won't spread good if you put only "grain of rice" in the middle ( already checked with other TIM ).
I have no problems with temps and I'm running it at about 1.3-1.35V for most of the time. I'm not really testing it for full stability and only one time checked how it's passing Prime95 28.5 on 4.5GHz. I'm using old EK waterblock with many scratches and usually I use too much TIM as I don't really care about 2-3*C difference and I switch boards too often ( 3-4 boards all the time on the move ). 24/7 work is something else while memory tests or other stuff on lower CPU clocks don't really need perfect cooling.

Check if contact with cooler is good and reapply TIM. It's also good to switch to some newer TIMs like Gelid Supreme, Arctic MX2/4 or anything else from newer series. On these higher power chips there is some difference between them. You probably won't see anything like 10*C difference but sometimes 2-5*C under full load.

Think about this CPU as early batch of 4770K but on 6 cores. Overclocking is similar so haswell guides should work for this platform too ( excluding DDR4 memory but that's actually similar to DDR3 just lower voltages ).

I know you're running on water, but what are your temps running prime/small? I mean 1.3v is impossible on air or at least with my current setup.

80+ was max. I don't remember exactly and now I have other rig running. Will back to X99 in 2-3 days.

What version of Prime95 are you running? It seems V28.5 can overstress and overheat your Haswell-e. Try testing with V27.9

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-CPU-s-and-you-is-it-bad-for-the-CPU-s-health

Thanks for the advice! I did switch to 27.9 and now it appears to be stable @ 4.2ghz/1.150v AND only hitting a max of 74c! I'm keeping it here as I don't want to push it any further. Much better than using 28.5, but time will tell if it crashes doing my everyday work. I doubt it will though. I'm wondering if I should try upping the volts a bit more and get more clocks....... gahh! I better not :). After seeing how 28.5 ran my chip I'm worried about the temps I would be hitting.

But if you run application which uses all new CPU instructions then it will still heat up more or crash. It's good to run something like Prime95 28.5 for about 20-30 mins just to check if it's not crashing and test stability in something older.
These CPUs have protection from overheating, simply when they reach some point then will start to throttle or when it's too high then will shut down.

4.2 at 1.15 is pretty good judging by some at oc.net. Some over there have 5960X and 5830 that cant even get asus bench stable at 4.2 with 1.3v, let alone any version of prime. That is what keeps me from buying X99 for now, dont want to spend that much and end up with significantly worse performance than I have now. But you got a decent one.

My 5820K is also at 4.2 GHz - just a one-click OC using Gigabyte's EasyTune. I also did an OC of my cheap Crucial DDR4 2133 to 2400, while simultaneously lowering the CL from 15 to 14. I'm thinking some of the poor OC results might be due, at least in part, to using early BIOS releases. The updated BIOS releases for my Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 addressed CPU OC'ing and then memory clocking.

Last edited:
The Asus one click overclock is trying to take mine up to 4.6 but it bluescreens during the 4.6 test, trying to run manual settings best I've managed so far is 4.4ghz at 1.375. 1.350 will run prime for a bit at 4.4 but it crashes at around ten minutes. This is on custom water, and it's crashing at the low to mid 70s so it's not really overheating.

My cheap green corsair 2133-15-15-15-36-2 is happy to run hyper pi at 2400-13-13-13-20-1 though.

Corsair or Crucial ? I see DaveB has Crucial in sig but said Corsair ;) ... I'm running 4x8GB Crucial 2133 C15 @ 2666 13-13-14-32 1N ~1.4V.

My 5820K needs ~1.35V for 4.5GHz and ~1.45V for 4.6GHz. I didn't check temps at 4.6GHz but it's passing all benchmarks without throttling so it's fine for me ;) I wouldn't run it 24/7 above 4.2GHz.

So, incase this helps,
Running my RIG ( 5820k, X99 Deluxe, 16GB DDR4 2133, EVGA GTX980OC) CPU@ 4.4 ( 125X35, 1.285 V,does not exceed 40 Degrees ), RAM @ 2400( stock stock timings )
Only thing i really changed was FSB Strap to 125 and ALL CORE multiplyer to 35, everything else was auto)

I have 4.4Ghz @ 1.3v temps dont go higher than 65c
Is this setup fine for 24/7 ?

I'm 2 months late to this party, but I also have a Asrock x99 Extreme 4 w/a 5820.

If you're trying to o'clk the uncore/cache on one of the non-Asus 'boards that doesn't have the special socket, would it be necessary to increase both the CPU vcore as well as the cache/uncore voltage? What about the IMC, does increasing the memory speed past 2400 MHz also require increasing CPU vcore and/or cache/uncore voltage?
When does VCCin become an issue? Only for extremely high overclocks?

Back