• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820k Not overclocking very well... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You don't have to increase any voltage except memory up to 3000+. IMC is strong enough to run so high without any changes.
On non-OC socket boards you are limited to 3500-3700 cache clock. Nothing will help. Still at ~3500+ you have to raise cache voltage while on boards with oc socket it's not really necessary.
All other voltages take some part in overclocking above ~4.7GHz. Depends from chip.

You don't have to increase any voltage except memory up to 3000+. IMC is strong enough to run so high without any changes.
On non-OC socket boards you are limited to 3500-3700 cache clock. Nothing will help. Still at ~3500+ you have to raise cache voltage while on boards with oc socket it's not really necessary.
All other voltages take some part in overclocking above ~4.7GHz. Depends from chip.

Woomack, I've managed to get my core/uncache on my Asrock x99 Extreme4 and i7-5820 to 3707 MHz.

I've also had issues w/raising the memory to 2800 MHz at any BCLK (I've tried 105 Mhz and various permutations above 127.4 MHz).

I'm now thinking I've pulled the short straw on my i7-5820, because it's taking 1.33 V Vcore and .55 V offset to my SA to get anywhere around 4.5 GHz with my memory @ 2800+ MHz. The .55 V SA offset brings my SA to 1.4 V. I had warm boot issues (ctrl-alt-del at a DOS prompt) until I raised the SA offset to .55V. Is it possible to have an IMC weak enough to require this kind of voltage? Is this a voltage that could result in a burned up CPU? My CPU temps don't seem to have been affected by the large increase in SA.

I wouldnt bother with cache and bclk... little returns in most cases outside of benchmarking.

That said, set cache and bclk back to stock, enable xmp profile for the ram, and you should be set.

I wouldnt bother with cache and bclk... little returns in most cases outside of benchmarking.

That said, set cache and bclk back to stock, enable xmp profile for the ram, and you should be set.

I wanted to get more out of my memory and the Asrock x99 Extreme4 can't get to above 2666MHz at stock BCLK.

What I really don't understand is why a BCLK of 103 Mhz, a CPU speed of 4429 MHz. (43x multiplier), a cache/uncore speed of 3708
MHz (36x multiplier) and 2749 MHz memory only requires 1.255 V cache voltage, 1.315V Vcore and .50V SA, but a BCLK of 127.9 MHz. a CPU speed of 4473 MHz. cache/uncore 3709 and 2813 MHz memory requires 1.335V Vcore and .55V SA? Have I hit a wall w/both my CPU freq. and my IMC?

Is an SA of 1.4V high enough where I have to worry about frying the CPU?

Not all memory ratios are working. Most memory manufacturers are setting XMP profiles for 2666 and higher kits at 127.3MHz bclk.
x21.33, x22.00, x24.00, x26.00, x26.66, x30.00, x32.00 are working but x30.00 has some stability issues on some boards.
Here is list how you can set memory ( just quick one so maybe I missed something ):
2133 = 21.33 x 100
2200 = 22.00 x 100
2400 = 24.00 x 100
2600 = 26.00 x 100
2666 = 26.66 x 100
2666 = 21.33 x 125
2800 = 22.00 x 127.3
3000 = 30.00 x 100
3000 = 24.00 x 125
3200 = 32.00 x 100
3250 = 26.00 x 125
3333 = 26.66 x 125

To set memory at ~3740 I was using 1.1V VCCSA and I don't even think it was required so high. Really SA can be at 1.00 - 1.05V for everything you need.
IMC can easily pass 3200 on every CPU. You are probably setting something wrong.

Woomack, at this point I don't really know what's going on w/this 'board and CPU. For some reason it seems like whenever I set the DRAM Reference Clock to 100 MHz it's not stable even though this setting allows for the higher memory clocks. When DRAM Reference Clock is set to AUTO, it always picks the 100 Mhz setting. The only difference I can see between the two settings (100 MHz and 133 MHz) is in the DRAM frequency choices available, which are not only completely different (as to what final RAM frequencies are available) but the 100 MHz setting allows for higher memory frequencies than the 133 Mhz settings. I still don't even know what the hell this setting does.
I'll have to get you guys screen caps so you can see what I'm talking about, but I have too much work to do to mess around w/this anymore.

How many sticks of RAM do you have in your machine? If you have 8 in your machine have you tried removing four to see if it works better with fewer sticks of RAM?

How many sticks of RAM do you have in your machine? If you have 8 in your machine have you tried removing four to see if it works better with fewer sticks of RAM?

I have a 4 x 4 GiB setup. I'm using Corsair Vengeance LPX.

Hi Guys,

I just got my system built yesterday! Everything runs great. Only bummer so far is that my beautiful 5820k is a bit of a dud. See the spec list below:

Intel 5820k
32gb g.skill 2400 ddr4
Asrock x99 extreme4 motherboard
Noctua NH-D14 2011
970 GTX MSI
Corsair 750w gold
Corsair 580 Case (really good airflow case)

So, the only the stable overclcok running prime short ttf's is........ 4.1ghz :/ . Yeah not that great. The current voltage is at 1.150. Which is pretty low. I've tried all the way upto 1.25v (i'm only upping the voltage on the FIVR). The temp got way too high at this voltage and it crashes at 4.4ghz at this voltage pretty quickly too. I only ran it a few times until I saw what hardware monitor was reporting 96c temps! Yikes!! I immediately took the clock down and voltage till it ran prime at 80c. I thought about reseating the noctua, but I'm doubting that will really fix anything.

Yep, I would definitely reseat the heatsink!

And, I know that feeling of something not fixing squat.

For my Asrock x99 Extreme 4 and the Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, it looks like all my troubles start when I try to get the memory to 2800 MHz or more. I don't believe the memory is guaranteed to work at 2800 MHz. Is it more likely my 5820 has a weak IMC or is it the memory that's holding me back? I tested this by lowering my core/cache clocks and then lowering the RAM speed to < 2666 MHz and then raising the RAM speed to 2800 MHz+, regardless of the DRAM Reference Clock setting I had boot issues at any RAM speed >= 2800 MHz. -- even when using the XMP 2.0 and AUTO settings.

I was checking 5 5820K. Even the worst of them had good enough IMC to run without voltage bump at 3200+. I think it's something with your settings. Try memory at 3000 15-17-17 or 16-16-16 1.35V, sub timings at auto. Check it at 100 and 125 bclk ( I don't know if both are working on your board ). 2800 is only working at 127.3 bclk.

Thanks Woomack. I think I've finally had some luck @ 2800 MHz. It looks like any BCLK over ~128 MHz is unstable on my board (although I'm not sure about 167 Mhz and up). I also had to up my SA offset to 0.5 over 0.3 to get over my cold/warm boot issues. In order to get any stability in Windows 7 at a 3700 MHz uncore/cache speed I also had to raise my cache/uncore voltage to 1.34V. This was all to get 4466 MHz CPU stable (@ 1.33V) on a 127.6 MHz BCLK.

I've managed to get my cache to 3722 Mhz on a 103.4 MHz BCLK as well.

It looks like the DRAM Reference Clock might be some sort of divider or multiplier for the final working memory frequency. When I set it to 100 Mhz vs 133 Mhz the steps between each available final working memory frequency are different as is the highest available final memory frequency.

I have a 5820k with extreme4 asrock and I have it at 4.5ghz @ 1.3v easily max loads at 60-70 with an NZXT Krakenx60

AIDA or OCCT?

1OiECdd.png

aida extreme test. atm I'm at 4.7ghz @ 1.3v

I couldn't get the ram @ 3000Mhz (stock speed) though. It was fine at stock CPU speed + XMP ramp profile 3000MHz, but at 4.5ghz with 3000MHz XMP profile, it wouldn't boot into windows.

But I put the ram on AUTO and just started putting the clock speed higher. Load line calibration is 1. I didn't mess with any of the CPU input/output voltages or any of that, just vcore and core ratio.

What was holding back my core and memory o'clks on my system (Asrock x99-Extreme4, 5820 and Corsair Vengeance DDR-2666) was my cache/uncore o'clk. Even though memtest is stable and a 32-bit Linux PI stress tester, my cache/uncore wasn't stable in windows @ 3700 MHz. With my cache/uncore @ 3561 MHz, core @ 4484 Mhz, I managed to get my memory up to 2900MHz. I still have to work on the cache/uncore and Vcore voltages though because I think they're too high.

Looks like I got lucky with the silicon lottery, 5820K @ 4.6 GHz at 1.20 v. Ran Aida 64, Prime 95 (26.6) and Asus Real Bench and looks good so far. Max temps is 75c (in one core), for some reason other cores are like 5-8 c lower on average but too lazy to re-seat Corsair H105 cooler. Did a real world 3D render test using 3dsmax and vRay, max temps were 68c and its pretty hot here now (26 c ambient).

5820.jpg

Last edited:
A-Tuning_i7_5820K_3_9GHz.png CPUZ_i7_5820K_3_9GHz.png

Hi. I'm trying to overclock an i7 5820K on ASROCK X99 WS using A-Tuning, without any luck.

In the attached screen shots, the system can only sustain 2-3 minutes of CPU workload (on latest Prime95), which is clearly not good enough.

I used to successfully overclock older CPUs, now it appears that either the process has become more complex or the particular CPU is not good enough.

I'd be grateful if you could advise me on which configuration options I need to change.

PS. When trying to overclock using UEFI, all of the motherboard's preconfigured UEFI overclocking settings result into a frozen system. It freezes straight away.

View attachment 169212View attachment 169213

Hi. I'm trying to overclock an i7 5820K on ASROCK X99 WS using A-Tuning, without any luck.

In the attached screen shots, the system can only sustain 2-3 minutes of CPU workload (on latest Prime95), which is clearly not good enough.

I used to successfully overclock older CPUs, now it appears that either the process has become more complex or the particular CPU is not good enough.

I'd be grateful if you could advise me on which configuration options I need to change.

PS. When trying to overclock using UEFI, all of the motherboard's preconfigured UEFI overclocking settings result into a frozen system. It freezes straight away.

For my overclocking I've been setting voltage to override mode and selecting a voltage that way.
It doesn't look like you're increasing the core voltage at all according to that screenshot.

FWIW, I think trying to overclock using a vcore setting of adaptive is going to be more difficult than using override.

For my overclocking I've been setting voltage to override mode and selecting a voltage that way.
It doesn't look like you're increasing the core voltage at all according to that screenshot.

FWIW, I think trying to overclock using a vcore setting of adaptive is going to be more difficult than using override.

Thank you so much magellan! Now it makes more sense! I had the impression that "CPU Input Voltage (Fixed)" was the parameter of interest. Clearly, I was only increasing the clock speed without affecting the voltage. Then, I'm wondering, what is this parameter for?

Regarding the thermals, I noticed that when overclocked at 4+ GHz, temperatures sky rocket. At 4.4 GHz, CPU voltage: 1.35 Volts, I had to stop the workload within seconds, as the CPU temp reached 99C.

Is this due to the CPU or due to the heatsink/installation?

I use a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U heatsink. Notably, at 3.6GHz (overclocked from 3.3GHz), running Prime95 for 5 minutes, the CPU temperature reaches 78C. Motherboard at 37C. Are these normal or do I need to resit the heatsink?

Last edited:
Back