• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan speed increased after overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

Got my i5-4690k up to 4.5 ghz on air (a $10 cooler, idle temps 27c) and I noticed that after I pushed it past about 4ghz, the cpu fan is a lot louder. I can't seem to find a setting (asrock z97 extreme 4) to make the cpu fan speed "match" the temperature. Enabling speedstep didn't seem to do anything. It's on a 4 pin header, and I can adjust it manually in speedfan. Also, should I try going above 4.5 on air? Temps in games are about 60c, prime95 gets up to the high 70's. Oh yeah, I haven't touched any voltages etc, just the multiplier, not having to adjust voltage or overclock the ram is an ideal situation, isn't it?

Also... what's the deal with giving each core its own multiplier? Should they all be the same? I think I have 45, 45, 44, 43 in that order, I'm assuming that it's designed like that since most games only use two cores. With the one multiplier for all cores, I couldn't get cpu id to show the correct cpu speed.

Last edited:
I assume the fan plug is 4 pin as well? Where is it in at on the motherboard (Should be CPU1)? You should have a setting in the bios to control the CPU1 fan header. Make sure its plugged in there. If its not a 4 pin, I am not sure that board can control by voltage (4 pin is PWM).

As far as going above 4.5Ghz, that is up to you, but what is your load voltage? Keep things under 85C or so on load and keep the voltage less than 1.4v and all should be well.

As ED suggested, you say you have the fan plugged into a four pin header but you don't say whether or not the fan has four wires. Since the fan got louder after the overclock we would presume it is a four wire fan. ASRock's fan speed control in bios can be a rather crude instrument. Having said that, you do realize don't you that you want the fan to speed up when the processor is under heavy load? Overclocking makes the processor run hotter. And you say that under Prime95 the temps are high 70s - is that core temp you are referring to? High 70s is safe for core temp.

Back