• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless n router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
so i am reading that setting up an N router to accept mixed signals (g,b) will slow down throughput speeds. So i guess i could set it up to only broadcast N signals, but what happens when an older device with just a g adapter wants to access the network? i'm assuming no connection right?

if true, then that leads to my real question, with the amount of older devices out there, laptops, phones, game consoles, etc., how could you ever just set up a home network router to only N? if i have friends come over are they out of luck connecting to the network with their old devices? sorry, please check your old equipment at the door??? it seems to me that it would be a bit of hassle in the real world to set up a router for only wireless N.

am i way off in my thinking here?

thanks for the help.

You didn't say what router model it is, but if it is dual band, toss your antiquated friends on the 2.4 GHz radio, and set the 5 GHz to N-only. If their devices are so old as to lack 802.11n support, then they probably also lack 5 GHz support, unless they're oddballs who actually own 802.11a stuff :)

^^^I had an 802.11a capable laptop once... it was :cool: because I'm in line of sight to a commercial business park and they never secured their networks thinking it was safe from mere mortals :D lol

<--- oddball :cool:

ok. but what about my original question - what happens when a client with a 802.11g adapter tries connecting to my N router? can they connect to it or not?

i do like the idea of getting a dual band router to take care of the older devices like petteyg359 suggested.

Back