• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to let you know about server uptime or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi there. I'm wondering if there's a program for Windows that lets you know when a server/website is down. I need this to ensure I'm notified via email that our FTP servers are up. Any help is appreciated. :thup:

There are a ton of options out there, some extremely sophisticated to work for high profile web applications, and some not so much.

For something as simple as checking if FTP servers are up, just write a script and put it in cron (if on Linux) or a scheduled task on Windows, to telnet to your ftp server on port 21. If you get an open socket, the server is up and FTP is working.. if not, have it send you an email.

I ended up doing some research and found a free one called uptimerobot. I'll be testing it out for the next 2 weeks and see how it does.

There are a ton of options out there, some extremely sophisticated to work for high profile web applications, and some not so much.

For something as simple as checking if FTP servers are up, just write a script and put it in cron (if on Linux) or a scheduled task on Windows, to telnet to your ftp server on port 21. If you get an open socket, the server is up and FTP is working.. if not, have it send you an email.

Back