• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Script debugging keeps being enabled...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

This problem started for me about a week ago. It also is happening to a friend of mine.

For some reason script debugging for Internet Explorer and script debugging other keeps getting turned on. Actually the checkboxes become unchecked. I don't have any problem checking them, and turning off the debugging, but within a day or two they become unchecked again.

Is there any way to force the debugging to stay off?

Still happening.

Googling on the error seems to only show it as a problem with Microsoft Visual Studio. I apparently installed it an then uninstalled it some time back, as there was a left over folder in program files that had a few non-executeable files in it. I deleted it, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Do I need to re-install it, or is there some type of 'really remove it' program for MVS?

Well, at this point unless someone has a suggestion, I'm thinking I'm going to need to do a fresh install of the OS. :(

It was a virus. Just about got it cleared out, but I'll be doing an OS re-install as soon as I get a larger SSD in a week.

im having this same problem. ive deleted all versions of IE and all files manually and reinstalled didn't help. I tried forcing it with regedit entry and didn't help. it also sucks how it makes animated GIFs not play

also I noticed when I shutdown my computer a window pops up last second then goes away. don't know if its related but seems to have started happening at same time.

sure is annoying what virus do you think it is?

In my case it was JS/Angore.E.

MSE should find it on a deep scan. But you really should do a clean install of the OS when you get a chance.

i don't really wanna do clean OS install because i have a special way of having my 32 and 64 bit versions sharing the same program data. clean OS on one would lose the unique registry entries meaning i would have to reinstall the programs for both OSes

besides i think i got it taken care of. MSE was being a turd and detected traces but not actually it. i used Hitman Pro and it detected 2 DLLs, one in system32 and one in SysWOW64. deleted them both with no troubles and seems to taken care of it. no other problems and scans come back clean

Just got rid of that one from the wife's laptop last night. I sure would like to meet the author of one of the myriad of virus' (virii?) that has plagued the world. In an alley. At night.

Kingfish,

Did you use the Hitman free 30-day or did you already have the licensed version?
I've heard good things about this program and am just curious regarding trying it.

Kingfish,

Did you use the Hitman free 30-day or did you already have the licensed version?
I've heard good things about this program and am just curious regarding trying it.

when you download and run it, theres an option for "one time scan" that you can use without any registering and can be used unlimited times. I use that to find the infected files but it wont let you delete them unless you register. so I manually delete them then and if there's a stubborn file I use the program Unlocker to force delete and kill processes using it that prevent it from being deleted. I have found Hitman Pro to be the most efficient at detecting viruses that are usually not detected. im usually really good about avoiding viruses and the only AV i use is MSE and im debating deleting it. have no idea where i picked up this one from tho but it was easy to remove once i found the 2 files

when you download and run it, theres an option for "one time scan" that you can use without any registering and can be used unlimited times. I use that to find the infected files but it wont let you delete them unless you register. so I manually delete them then and if there's a stubborn file I use the program Unlocker to force delete and kill processes using it that prevent it from being deleted. I have found Hitman Pro to be the most efficient at detecting viruses that are usually not detected. im usually really good about avoiding viruses and the only AV i use is MSE and im debating deleting it. have no idea where i picked up this one from tho but it was easy to remove once i found the 2 files

Tried Hitman and came back clean for this program. Thanks for the tip.

I think Unlocker is like File Assassin and I use the latter. Some purely innocent sites are unknowinbgly distributing "drive by" malware.
It's probalby what happened to you and Torin. Personally I wouldn't delete AV's or Anti-malware programs you're using or have used
in the past. My bloated AVG detected the drive-by and blocked it. Malwarebytes, Super-Anti-spyware, Adware Cleaner (free versions) don't
block, they only clean. Running them in safe mode picked up two (Super Anti-Spyware). Manually running MSE found nothing so beware,
one program assists the others IMO. None are a "catch-all," all have their benefits and you don't know how good they are until you need them.

I'm also switching to Firefox on Thideras' recommendation, IE9 has too many security holes.

Well, about 1/2way through reinstall. Got a nice 256GB SSD from our classifieds. It is always annoying getting everything reinstalled. But I've done it enough that it only takes me a day or two to get it back the way I like it.

Back