• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 280X to 970, viable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozan

Heyo,

I have quite a nice rig imo and I'd like to keep it current spending as little money as possible. That being said, it's been eating me up since the release of 970-980's. Is it the right time to dump my rare 280x's (Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD Rev 1.0)? I can sell the 7970's w/ Accelero Hybrid Cooling 300$ a pop in my country.

970 Strix OC vs 2x 280X OC @ 1.1Ghz w/Accelero Hybrid Dual Fan

Primary Concern: Noise
Secondary Concern: Performance
Dont Care: Heat, Power Use

My 7970's run with almost no noise and minor coil whine. I'm quite happy with the way they generally(unless badly optimized) run current games at max settings @ 120fps with very minor noise w/ no crossfire latency issues at all, but I am also interested in future proofing my system. I also dislike nvidia policies in general. But I feel that if I wait for the next gen amd's to come out I probably wont be able to sell my 7970's for a proper price. So, help me out here. I generally buy from the US btw.

Knowing they are simply re-brands do you have 280X or 7970's ?

your post is confusing to me.

Really does not matter, I am sure you can run just about anything with 2x 280x's

If you are seeking 4K performance than that would be a viable upgrade.

that being said if you can get $ 300.00 for them , sell sell sell

Last edited:
Knowing they are simply re-brands do you have 280X or 7970's ?

your post is confusing to me.

Really does not matter, I am sure you can run just about anything with 2x 280x's

If you are seeking 4K performance than that would be a viable upgrade.

rthat being said if you can get $ 300.00 for them , sell sell sell

I thought since the name 7970 is obsolete after the rebrand to R9, I'd use 280x in the thread name since that's what they pass for these days.

I dont really care about 4k gaming since I think it is useless until 4k 120hz monitors come out. Having played professionally, I care tons about fluidity of the image at high settings, namely the best settings I can get away w/o losing any fluidity, and constant 120 fps.

Well, if you can sell both for $500/600 then go for it and grab a 970.

I highly doubt a single 970 is going to catch dual 280X's in crossfire for raw performance.

that said Crossfire doesn't work well in every game either. so in some games you end up with single 280x performance.

If you can do the change for not much loss it might be worth it.

280x's may be a couple generations old now but the jump from 7970's to 290's wasn't incredibly large either and the 290x does compete with 970's in most things even now.

and crossfired 280x's flat out perform a single 290x.

2x R9 280X > 1x GTX970 in generally everything. However if you are using 1x 1080p display then it won't make any special difference while 1x GTX970 uses less power even than single 280X and generates less heat what also affects cooler noise.

970 is around 20% slower than 2*280X.

If OP can sell both 280X's for $500/600, he should do it now, as in a couple of month, resell value will collapse.

Thanks for the continued replies guys, hopefully I'll be able to sell them within a few days but what worries me is the fact that they may not hold out that long at the hands of the new owners. Can I get an approximation for the lifespan of such cards on overclock? Bear in mind that I have benched and mined(for just a few days in total) with these cards and already bought them second handed. Although that is the case, they have always been properly cooled tho, so I dont think there is damage on the cards at all. Also the cards have a little physical bending to their ends as well. Lol I may not even be able to sell these at allXD

There is no doubt that used AMD card prices have tanked. People bought them in droves at the height of the coin mining. Now they are selling them off. I paid no more that $186/ea, USD for three R9-280x Sapphire Toxic cards. That was a month ago. Prices may have dropped just slightly lower now.

I've put them up for 250$ ea locally, will report back once I sell one and get a 970 Strix.

Not likely you will get 250 Each. but you can try.

Most 7970/280x's ive seen are 175-200$ and ive seen many.

but you never know someone might bite. it could also be a week where there is a lul in availability.

Not likely you will get 250 Each. but you can try.

Most 7970/280x's ive seen are 175-200$ and ive seen many.

but you never know someone might bite. it could also be a week where there is a lul in availability.

Don't forget to take note of the OP's location. The market in Istanbul may be very different than in north america. We don't know what the average price is in that fine part of the world.

true i always just assume north american market values (us/can).

I say keep the 280X's. They're faster then a single 970. Although 970's are pretty quiet cards. Fans don't even spin while browsing the net (fans kick in at certain temp).

Soo, I pulled the accelero hybrids off the cards since it would be easier to sell like that, and one of them died. Screen goes off and hangs the pc the second you put any load on it. I started a RMA for it, hopefully I will get something back. Had another 7970 die sometime back and gigabyte did give me a refund for it.

The refund would be best!

I burnt my 7970 last week, and Sapphire sends me a new one within a couple of weeks... I would have prefered a refund, as it's going to ebay a s oon as I get it.

Hmm since I am in the market for one or two 970's, and gigabyte already owes me a $400 refund from yet another 7970, if this one comes out as a refund I will ask them if they can rather send one or two 970 g1's to me. Heheh that would be like the most epic free upgrade I've seen :D

Back