• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 skipping in game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacothedagon

Registered
I have a sapphire 7970 and just recently put it back in after getting it replaced because it died, but sense using it iv noticed that in games I am experiencing skipping but only on games that are more gpu heavy like crysis 3 and battlefield 4, so my question is if this is just some settings that I need to play with or do I need to send my gpu back to sapphire again?

What resolution are you playing at? What are yor system specs?

You need a 290x/970/980/780ti to max out Crysis3 at 1080p.

On the other hand a 7970 with a decent cpu and 8GB of RAM should run BF4@70FPS+.

What resolution are you playing at? What are yor system specs?

You need a 290x/970/980/780ti to max out Crysis3 at 1080p.

On the other hand a 7970 with a decent cpu and 8GB of RAM should run BF4@70FPS+.

i7-3770 3.4ghz
8gb ddr3 1333mhz
rez= 1600x900

It might be a driver issue so if you haven't already I would first do a complete driver uninstall with a utility like Display Driver Uninstaller by guru3D [google it] and then reinstalling a stable driver version like the catalyst 14.9 since it helped someone else out with a similar problem.

To me it sounds like more of an issue of micro-stuttering in next gen games. Usually micro-stuttering happens because of the paging file on the hdd. A game like BF4 requires 8GB of ram recommended, but that's just for the game. Having to divide 8 gigs between the game, windows, and then background services simply isn't ideal for performance. The game can't cache itself entirely into the ram so when the ram cache becomes full the cpu starts referencing the paging file on the hard drive. The switch between caching the game into ram and then referencing the paging file is what causes micro-stuttering and it can happen on rigs with good hardware if your hdd isn't the best.

If it is indeed micro-stuttering then there are two options for solving the problem:

[1] Increase your system ram amount to around 12-16GB if it is practical or possible for you. By having 8GB ram dedicated solely for the next gen games they will be able to cache entirely into the ram so there will be no more need for the cpu to reference the paging file on the hdd.

[2] Buy a faster hard driver or possibly a SSD. When the cpu is switching between the ram cache and hitting up the paging file on mediocre hdd's the stuttering is caused by a speed difference since the hard drive typically tends to be slower than the ram. It's like shifting back and forth between third and fifth gear.

Option 2 is less preferable than #1 because if you buy a SSD you will be putting a strain on it when the cpu switches to the paging file.

Regardless of how you decide to identify and tackle the problem it is also a generally good idea to see what your paging file is set to in windows. Go into Advanced System Settings-->Advanced-->Performance [click on the Settings Tab under Performance]-->Advanced-->Virtual Memory. Typically windows using a broad range for the paging file which isn't good for performance especially on slower hdd's. Set it to custom, see what amount of hard drive space is listed as recommended by windows and then set both the min and the max values to that recommended amount. That way whenever the cpu needs to hit the paging file it will always hit it up for the same consistent amount each time and put less of a strain on the hdd.

However, before coming to the conclusion of micro-stuttering I would do a process of elimination for possible causes to the problem. I would begin by doing the complete driver uninstall and then reinstall an older yet stable driver version, 14.xx, first to see if it corrects the problem. If it doesn't solve your issue then you can pretty much count on micro-stuttering being the culprit.

Last edited:
I would try the Omega driver first, then drop back. Use DDU to get a clean uninstall, as the normal add/remove will leave some AMD junk behind. Omega is the best driver they've released in a loooong time. Are you overclocking anything? If so knock it all down and try to game again

I don't know if it is necessary to mention this, but if your motherboard uses an AMD chipset and incorporates drivers for other components like mine does, such as USB filter driver etc., do not uninstall all of the catalyst software in add/remove programs.

Simply acquire Display Driver Uninstaller and do a complete uninstall of display driver components only. Then do a reinstall of the Omega driver first as Bishoff said and try to game without overclocking the gpu. If that doesn't work then drop the display driver back to something like 14.9 to see if that works.

If none of this works post back and let us know.

CPU limited res... 1333Mhz ram...

I doubt its 'paging out' as usually that is noticed in larger 'skipping' called hitching which is more noticeable than the aptly named 'micro' stuttering. Micro stuttering usually happens with multiple GPUs though, not single. I ran BF4 on a 7970 with 8GB of ram (1866 Mhz) just fine. I would look at drivers first.

EDIT: This is a two month old thread and the OP hasn't been here since...

I ran BF4 on a 7970 with 8GB of ram (1866 Mhz) just fine. I would look at drivers first.
BF4 ran fine for me on ddr3 1333. FC4, however, micro-stutters on 8GB, but now that I think about it I think it's a driver issue since my board is an AMD chipset and other components use AMD drivers so I can't uninstall/reinstall catalyst software. AMD packages like to install on top of each other with the previous installations leaving remnants behind. I probably should do a DDU uninstall and Omega driver reinstall myself.

EDIT: This is a two month old thread and the OP hasn't been here since...

Yea, good point.

Back