• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much energy does a plasma use vs a lcd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my 50" plasma pulls about 200-300w from the wall according to my kill-o-watt in power saving mode its about 120w.

Good lord...200-300W?? That seems insane! Time to get an LCD. :D

lol been debating on it, paid $400 for this a few years ago and shes doing great, been trying to convince the wife we need a 65" LED, the convincing has been going not as well as id like. but things could change, tax returns are in a few months. who knows. maybe the plasma might... "die" or something.. ;)

For comparison, a new 50" LED backlit LCD only uses about 40W.

i have never hooked a kill-o-watt to one personally but from what ive read that number is closer to 70-90w. even straight from energy star.

i have never hooked a kill-o-watt to one personally but from what ive read that number is closer to 70-90w. even straight from energy star.
1st google result...http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma/power-consumption-and-electricity-cost

The chart displays the average typical power consumption for 2013 models as advertised. This isn't the maximum power consumption.
There may be some at 40W... but it seems that at least 2013 models are almost 70W (see link above)... @ 55"

I like the energy star link! It seems that use goes up on screen size (as expected really).

Anyhoo...!

who knows. maybe the plasma might... "die" or something.. ;)

You MONSTER! Lol, hey, if you need to have someone take it off of your hands I could give it a good home. I have a 42 inch panasonic plasma and I have yet to find a TV I like more than it. Things just look so good on it.

The 40W figure was actually measured on a 50" 4K Seiki. I think the reason it's so efficient is because they don't go overboard with the video processing (the scaler only does well with integral factors) and design it to be more or less just a simple display. A few years old 55" Samsung (LED backlit) uses about 70W, and an even older 32" no name (CCFL backlit) uses 45W. Little LED backlit 22" and 24" seem to be around 15W to 25W.

Something else to note is that while "blackle" and other white on black text does save energy on plasma and OLED, it does not on LCD. It is also noted that especially if you set most text to be white on black, switching from plasma to LCD purely for energy savings doesn't pay off in any reasonable time. A screensaver or automatic power saving is always a good idea on plasma and to a lesser extent, OLED.

There's a Panasonic 50" LED 1080p screen for $199 coming up for Black Friday sales at Walmart, if you want to save a little.

What TV model?
Did you look at the spec sheet?

samsung PN51F5300AFXZA

Product Features

50-3/4" screen (measured diagonally from corner to corner)
A great size for a living room or a home theater space.
Plasma displays are at their best in darker rooms
Get rich, vibrant colors and deep blacks, and view your screen from almost any angle.
1080p resolution for stunning HD images
Watch Blu-ray movies and 1080p HD content at their highest level of detail.
600Hz refresh rate for smooth action scenes
Enjoy fast-moving movies, sports and video games with virtually no motion blur.
Give a color boost to older films and non-HD content
Wide Color Enhancer Plus expands the color range for a more vibrant viewing experience.
Anti-reflection technology for better viewing
Clear Image Panel and the single layer panel structure also help eliminate dual images and blurring, especially when viewed from the side.
Real Black Panel
You'll get deeper and darker black levels for bolder hues, higher contrast and smoother, clearer picture quality.
ConnectShare Movie
Watch videos, play music and view photos from a USB connection without needing to use a PC or special equipment.
Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Pulse
Optimizes the sound for TV from sources like Internet movies and music, connected PCs, mobile phones and tablets.
2 HDMI inputs for the best home theater connection
High-speed HDMI delivers a full 1080p picture and digital surround sound in one convenient cable. HDMI cable not included.
1 USB input
Easily connect your digital camera, camcorder or other USB device.

Power use would also change when you properly calibrate both technologies.... In general a plasma will use at least twice as much. Who here leaves their screens at default settings? lol

This gives a quick example of what I mean,
http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_11.html

I have a 42" Samsung LED TV that I got last year. It pulls around 30-40W, little more when using more wifi/smart TV functions. Overall not to bad.

Then I have a older 55" Vizio that pulls around 100W under I'd say typical conditions from my kill-o-watt meter.

Power use would also change when you properly calibrate both technologies.... In general a plasma will use at least twice as much. Who here leaves their screens at default settings? lol

This gives a quick example of what I mean,
http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_11.html
Wow thats an old article, good example on power consumption / price to run it. Bad example for price on TV's :)

Back