• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC i7 4790k multiplier to 50 but max multi stuck at 44 ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nolimitz

Hi guys!

I got the I7 4790k and thought I can overclock it.

Paired with the Asus B85M-E board and latest bios (as well as fresh win7 without any Asus tweak software) I can set the core multiplier as I like. I noticed that under prime95 all cores are ruining at 4GHz. After increasing the multiplier to 50, CPUID shows that as well but all cores are running only with a multi of 44. An improvement though, but not the set improvement. I tried to set the multi to 55 but the same. It stuck at 44.

I also tried to set the affinity of prime to core 1 to see if the cpu can increase at least one core to 5GHz. But it failed.

Thermal values according to HWMonitor are 75 to 80 deg C for all 4 cores with prime05 and 45 deg C with one core.

What do I wrong? Overseen something?

Cheers

NL

1. are you on air or liquid?
2. even the new Haswell AKA Refresh has a hard time hitting 5ghz
3. what is probably happening is when you hit 50 on the multi and you go to hit f10 or save settings in the bios it fails and reverts to stock speeds with would be 40 the 44 your seeing is turbo when turbo is on it pushes the multi by 4, or 400mhz yeilding a stock turbo speed of 4.4ghz

try doing something like 45 or 46 and see if that posts and runs for you but again what are you using for cooling cause this sucker gets hot liek real quick and stuff lol

Hi!

I checked that the multi is not reset: "After increasing the multiplier to 50, CPUID shows that as well but all cores are running only with a multi of 44."

Just tested: when I set the multi to 44 I'll get max speed of 4GHz, subsequently to 48 I get max speed to 4.4GHz but after 48 it stuck and remains at 44. despite all cores at 4.4 GHz is a win anyway, it should go higher or? I don't get this oO Temps are all okay... around 75. So, it could and should go further but it doesn't. Have I overseen something to setup?

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-4790K.html

if you have a 4790K your stock multi should be 40 with a bus speed of 100 which will end up 40*100=4000 give or take a few mhz if you set it to 48 you should be @ or around 4800mhz or 4.8ghz are you sure you don't have things like eist and speed step activated those two will down clock your cpu at idle

also if your hitting 75C your overheating max opertating temp is 72.72C so you might be getting temp shutdowns

Hwbot is only showing about 4 4790K's that will hit 5ghz while air cooled

http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_freq...Id=processor_3621&cores=4#start=0#interval=20

i still don't know if you are on air or liquid

4.4GHz is turbo clock. If you want to OC higher then you have to enable turbo and set manually CPU ratio higher. If it won't work then it's BIOS/mobo fault.

Hi! Thanks for all the replies!

I'm using air cooling. Dark Rock Pro from Bequiet!

Well have i to switch off steep step and turbo? Strangely, I can set only "max turbo clock" in my bios after exceeding manual the 40x multi. Is that correct or just an issue with the Intel 85 chipset?

NL

The weird thing is,I checked cpu comparability for your board on Asus and it says it's compatible.here is the funny thing for the 4790 non k and the t it says to update the bios but fit the k it does not say that. It might very well be an issue with the board. Even on air I would imagine you can get that sucker doing at least 4.6ghz. Setting the max turbo multi will only affect the turbo speed I think.you would have to set cpu multi and being it's an Asus board it might be in a different menu lol Asus likes to do that.later on tonight I will try to find some pictures of the bios settings for your mobo and see what I can come up with

under the Ai Tweaker menu in your bios you should have a a cpu core ratio function its normally set to auto adjusting this should let you overclock. again how ever if eist and/or speed step are on it will down clock your cpu

Hi!

Thanks for checking that. I do have that function; however, when I set it higher than 40 the description tuns from "core clock" to "max turbo". And when I set to 43, the turbo goes only up to 4.3 GHz ^^ Well, I guess I've to live with that :(

well,

under full load i got 62deg C with 4.2GHz (standard stock max clock for 4 cores apparently)

wih OC to 4.4 GHz i reach 75. maybe also better w/o ...

thx man :)

No prob

Also check your bios version, there is a chance that if you updated it it might straighten a lot of stuff out

Last edited by a moderator:
Back