• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Printing Question [Solved]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Would a PC without wireless capability be able to communicate wirelessly with a wireless printer? In other words, does communication between PC and wireless printer happen directly between the PC and the printer or does it go through the router first? Of course, this question implies that the PC is connected to the router via ethernet.

Last edited:
I've always used both with wireless that is a very good question. When I get home i'll try turning wireless off on my laptop and hook it up with an ethernet cable and see if it will print that way.

The reason I'm asking is that I had a client the other day with a desktop and no wireless card but connected to the Comcast/Xfnity gateway device via ethernet. She was connected to her printer via usb but lost the ability to print. I downloaded and installed the latest printer drivers from the manufacturer and still no go. It occurred to me that I might be able to reinstall the driver and select the wireless connection option during install if the communication was between the router and the printer instead of between the PC and the printer. As it turned out, the printer itself did not have wireless capability so I couldn't actually try it but I still would like to know the answer for future reference.

If the printer is connected wirelessly to the same network the computer is, it will work fine.

Like Thid said, if it's on the wireless from your home router it'll run on any device connected to your home network.

Okay, I setup a breadboard system without wireless and thideras and Atminside are correct.

Back