• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Should I RMA my Gigabyte GTX 980? Came slightly damaged..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Standingcow

So, little background first... my card came with the metal bracket bent (the tiny part around where the top screw attaches to your case)... no big deal, bent it back into place and installed.

Then my 2nd monitor wouldn't work... so during troubleshooting I unplugged it again and plugged it back in and the monitor came on... but if I loosen it much at all it goes out. It was tight at the beginning.

I tried running 3D Mark and it constantly freezes during the tests... but not a total freeze, the image stops but the FPS counter and all increases until stop the test, but it ends to a black screen. Again, this isn't a total freeze because when I ctrl alt delete I can see my mouse arrow and move it around.

Furmark completes it's benchmark with no issue.

Now I have found numerous threads on the nvidia forums with users complaining of black screens, so I think this may be a result of me experiencing those same issues, so it will be up to nvidia to fix.

I just hope my card didn't arrive physically damage beyond what I easily fixed....

Last edited:
I would send it back, these cards cost too much to put up with poor quality control and or packaging that is not up to the task

Yea, it must have been placed in there bent... there is no way it happened during shipping.

I agree, on the phone with newegg now for the RMA. It was hard diagnose if this was any sort of physical damage or the driver issues nvidia seems to be having with these cards... but piece of mind for something this expensive is important.

I agree, on the phone with newegg now for the RMA. It was hard diagnose if this was any sort of physical damage or the driver issues nvidia seems to be having with these cards... but piece of mind for something this expensive is important.

I'd say physical damage, there are a few people on this forum with 980's, but none of them complain about freezing/crashes.

Cool, thanks guys... I knew it was the right thing to do, just needed to be talked into it. :)

Back