• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2003 - buying Terminal Server User CALs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

My work needs to get an additional 5 Terminal Server user licenses. Is there anything you need to watch out for when buying them, since it doesn't seem like Microsoft is selling them directly for Server 2003 anymore?

Server 2003 is at EOL in July, I'd be hesitant to spend any money anywhere investing in that OS.

I understand, but it is my Boss's decision.

Of course we are still dealing with some legacy payroll software that is on Server 2000, and we have to upgrade it to Server 2003 to virtualize it. But only base Server 2003. Updating it winds up breaking the payroll software. We do have a few servers on 08 and 12.

Seems like it's time to pay down some technical debt. :)

In any event, you could probably contact MS directly by phone and see if they can get you what you need. I'm not sure if they'll still sell CALs for products that are going to be sunsetted, they'd much rather upsell you to new hardware and software. I'd be hesitant purchasing from any third parties, though.

Back