• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at a new thermal paste for my liquid cooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
So I'm looking at thermal paste for my new liquid cooling setup,
And I have found a new one that I was wondering if anyone has heard of, any good/bad news for this paste.
It's called "thermene" and the main ingredient is graphene.
As far as thermal conductivity,
Silver: 427
Diamond: 2200
Graphene: 4840 - 5300

So as u can see graphene is better than diamond for thermal conductivity/ heat transfer...

But I have heard it is possibly conductive to electricity... So not sure
I know silver is also conductive but the artic silver paste is not conductive so possibly the same for thermene?

Any thoughts?

I haven't heard of this one yet, but I wanted to mention that Arctic Silver 5 is in fact conductive. But so long as you keep it where it belongs all will be fine.

AS5 is CAPACITIVE, not conductive.

As far as what is the best thermal paste, here is a review. Please check it out. Also pay attention to the cost for each product as .5C isn't worth x3 the price of something else. You are likely not chasing records so every degree doesn't count for you. MX2/MX4 are very good bang for the buck pastes.

Noctua NT-H1 is great but I've just recently switched to Gelid Extreme. It's about 1c from the Noctua and is much cheaper. Oh, and it comes in a bigger tube.

Noctua NT-H1 is great but I've just recently switched to Gelid Extreme. It's about 1c from the Noctua and is much cheaper. Oh, and it comes in a bigger tube.

You can get Noctua for $5.6 plus shipping. If you buy a stock, you are going to pay way less than GC Extreme...

I would say GC Extreme is the way to go easy to use says well, and transfers heat really well for GPU's as well as CPU's! ;)

1, http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=71658

This is the most tested review i have found, it lets you decide which one to go with, but you will see the overall winner is

GC Extreme!!!! :attn:

Ajay.

They're both great TIM's and I would recommend both for all applications.

Just did a quick google search and used amazon for compare. 1g = 1ml

noctua 8.95 for 1.4ml = $6.39/ml

gelid 12.49 for 3.5g = $3.56/g

They're both great TIM's and I would recommend both for all applications.

Just did a quick google search and used amazon for compare. 1g = 1ml

noctua 8.95 for 1.4ml = $6.39/ml

gelid 12.49 for 3.5g = $3.56/g

over here in the uk, every thing is so much dearer coz our gov love ripping us off. we pay abt30% more than usa. if not more, intel here are well out of my reach, noctua is £6.30 here there is $6.39,if you work the exchange rate that works out at $9.85, so abt 30%more ish, its like my formula v. £199 here that is $311.75, so how much are they in the usa ???

Does gelid gc-extreme bond the cpu to the heatsink? and does it cause any damage to the cpu or heatsink over time?
Also how easy is it to spread and does it require a burn in and if so how long?
Also could someone better describe to me what exactly a "burn in" is? and how to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Ajay57, i looked at that link you shared, it only shows air cooling and LN2 cooling, what about water cooling?

1. It doesn't bond.
2. No damage I recall
3. All pastes spread fine under the pressure of the mount.
4. Burn in... heh... its just hot and cold cycles. Just use your PC. If you buy a paste that needs it, over time, it will 'burn in'.

There really wouldn't be a difference between air/water cooling as they are both using ambient air to cool things so the paste's properties wouldn't change (unlike with using LN2).

Paste doesn't need to so much detail... again, you are not chasing every degree C. :)

I know i just wanna make sure I'm going with the best possible choice and although I'm not going for any records I do want to take advantage of every degree that I can so that I can have it as cool as possible when overclocking...

I see you live in Michigan, then if you really want it cool, just put the PC outside the House or in some cold Basement, if not then use ducting to bring in the cold air! But then these are extreme ways to do things, but for everyday PC work a good fan set up is best, a balance between cool ambient air in and Hot air being sent out of the PC case.

As for WC its about how many Radiators per output of power from CPU +GPU's, plus the rating of the Fans, but this brings us back to Ambient Temps of your house etc. ;)

Ajay.

P.S The first part of my post is light hearted way of looking at things lol. What ever Thermal Paste you decide to use its not going to do much!

I know i just wanna make sure I'm going with the best possible choice and although I'm not going for any records I do want to take advantage of every degree that I can so that I can have it as cool as possible when overclocking...
So long as temps are under the limit, your CPU will be fine. Its up to you if you want to spend 2-3x the amount of money on that degree or two. :)

Enjoy! :)

Gelid Extreme inexpensive ? If you were using TIM for benching then you would feel the pain. MX4 or some other pastes are not much worse while cost less and I mean like sometimes 50% less. I see ~1*C difference between Gelid Extreme and Supreme while Supreme costs nearly 1/3 price of Extreme. Almost the same with MX4. Or maybe it's me with my pathetic monthly income.
I also saw BeQuiet TIMs in this Tom's Hardware article linked by ED. I have no idea how they made so good results on this paste. My results were about 3*C worse than MX2/4, not to mention terrible applying.

Also hi Ajay, haven't seen you for a while. I hope you are well :)

Back