• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning a New build, and first time Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yianni89

Hi,

I'm about to start a new project for a custom build PC with modifications.

please find all the insides listed in this link:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...590&authkey=!AKy87ZCPi-AE6Pg&ithint=file,xlsx

Please note the list is in order of what i will be purchasing first and that's why it is split how it is.

to give you a bit of background as to what I want from my build...

1. I want to be able to expand it in terms of storage and graphics capabilities over the course of the next few years hence the over the top motherboard.

2. 32GB of RAM is overkill bit I'm expecting this to last me a good few years (10+) in which case between 16GB and 32GB I think will be a normal and in some cases required aspect. (between 8GB and 16GB being the normal now for a nigh end gaming+photo and video editing machine)

3. I will be adding a custom water cooling unit for CPU and 1-2 GPU's by the end of 2015.

4. It will look the dogs bollox :)

so with that in mind here is the plan...

colour scheme... White, Black... Blue Hue or UV Lighting

choice of case:

NZXT H440, great build quality, looks sleek, epic cable management, space for dual 360 rads, PSU is covered.

the plan with the case is to remove the top drive tray for the AIO Expandable water cooler, initial modifications will include laser cutting NZXT initials (maybe something else) into the front of the case and putting a black dust cover behind. this should increase the airflow from the intakes which i have read is peoples only complaint about this case (up to 10 degrees difference in temperature after front mounting a rad with front of case attached and detached)

I'm also thinking to make the cable management a bit quirky by putting a white steel pipe running the height or width of the case and use it to coil the black braided wires around for a spiralling effect (undecided on this and may also change the colour of the wires from black to white and reverse the colours for pipe and spiral)

I may also look to expand the side window though its not really necessary until I need to put in a reservoir for the custom loop.

Choice of components:

Asus GTX 970 Strix... comes with a back plate that I can remove and spray white and leave the engravings on it in black.

Motherboard: X-99 Deluxe or Rampage V.... it was always going to be the Deluxe... it looks too good.

RAM: will replace the heat-sink covers with the light bars but spray the light bars with a white gloss finish before attaching them.

AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36... the 360 rad I will spray the case white gloss again, best thing is its completely expandable so when I build the custom loop I will already have 1 360 rad in place.

i do have a question.....

Laser cutting the front panel and possibly side panel.... obviously not doing it myself.... does anyone in the UK know of any company, or even have the capability of doing this for me from a design....

if you got this far thanks for reading and feel free to comment, tell me what you think, suggest other mods or changes you think may work better.... until I get the case this is all speculation of what I think I can do with it so feel free to put me straight.....

Some gaming... lots of video recording, editing, 3D analysis work, photo and 3D editing.

found this, i think it should fit under the PSU shroud and will allow me to front mount the radiator for intake and then use the 3 front fans as exhaust from the top. it should also help having a push intake through the rad as opposed to pull with the case having less air available building up a higher static pressure on the panel side of the fans so in theory creating a cooler radiator with less airflow.... i think.... haha

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-cc-8930108-hdd-drive-cage-for-900d-case

Unless you're planning on doing some extreme benching on LN2 or DICE the Rampage is total overkill. Something like the Asrock extreme 6 is plenty. Though I would only go with the X99, if the programs used will take advantage of the 6c or 8C cpu's, otherwise you're better off just saving a few bucks and getting a Z97/4790k setup.

Unless you're planning on doing some extreme benching on LN2 or DICE the Rampage is total overkill. Something like the Asrock extreme 6 is plenty. Though I would only go with the X99, if the programs used will take advantage of the 6c or 8C cpu's, otherwise you're better off just saving a few bucks and getting a Z97/4790k setup.

im going for the Asus x99 Deluxe mobo, the rampage i also thought was overkill, so much stuff i would never use, the Deluxe covers me if i want to add stuff including M.2 drives and it has plenty of USB ports which i need a lot of. the chip doesnt change, its taken me too long to decide and for what im using the 6 cores i think will really help, especially if im able to turn them on and off for specific programmes with the Deluxe.

I have the same case and love it but you may want to mod it just a little as it is starved for air.

i've heard this a lot, im thinking to laser cut some kind of holes (maybe NZXT logo OR some straight line grid abstract thing) on the front and top panel and back them with a black dust filter so it matches the case but has some functional use.... either that or attempt to extend the distance of connection to their repsective parts of the case to create a larger, less air resistive chamber....

this is what I'm thinking for increasing airflow to the front and top panels

http://prntscr.com/5j6j0k

i would cut the sound proof material the same to help bolster the modification and allow it to maintain its structure....

may possibly try the same kind of design but keep the cut lines central rather than staggered and to the edges....

just to be clear black lines = empty space with a black dust filter backing....

this being option number 2

http://prntscr.com/5j6llg

Hi,

I'm about to start a new project for a custom build PC with modifications.

please find all the insides listed in this link:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...590&authkey=!AKy87ZCPi-AE6Pg&ithint=file,xlsx

Please note the list is in order of what i will be purchasing first and that's why it is split how it is.

to give you a bit of background as to what I want from my build...

1. I want to be able to expand it in terms of storage and graphics capabilities over the course of the next few years hence the over the top motherboard.

2. 32GB of RAM is overkill bit I'm expecting this to last me a good few years (10+) in which case between 16GB and 32GB I think will be a normal and in some cases required aspect. (between 8GB and 16GB being the normal now for a nigh end gaming+photo and video editing machine)

3. I will be adding a custom water cooling unit for CPU and 1-2 GPU's by the end of 2015.

4. It will look the dogs bollox :)

so with that in mind here is the plan...

colour scheme... White, Black... Blue Hue or UV Lighting

choice of case:

NZXT H440, great build quality, looks sleek, epic cable management, space for dual 360 rads, PSU is covered.

the plan with the case is to remove the top drive tray for the AIO Expandable water cooler, initial modifications will include laser cutting NZXT initials (maybe something else) into the front of the case and putting a black dust cover behind. this should increase the airflow from the intakes which i have read is peoples only complaint about this case (up to 10 degrees difference in temperature after front mounting a rad with front of case attached and detached)

I'm also thinking to make the cable management a bit quirky by putting a white steel pipe running the height or width of the case and use it to coil the black braided wires around for a spiralling effect (undecided on this and may also change the colour of the wires from black to white and reverse the colours for pipe and spiral)

I may also look to expand the side window though its not really necessary until I need to put in a reservoir for the custom loop.

Choice of components:

Asus GTX 970 Strix... comes with a back plate that I can remove and spray white and leave the engravings on it in black.

Motherboard: X-99 Deluxe or Rampage V.... it was always going to be the Deluxe... it looks too good.

RAM: will replace the heat-sink covers with the light bars but spray the light bars with a white gloss finish before attaching them.

AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36... the 360 rad I will spray the case white gloss again, best thing is its completely expandable so when I build the custom loop I will already have 1 360 rad in place.

i do have a question.....

Laser cutting the front panel and possibly side panel.... obviously not doing it myself.... does anyone in the UK know of any company, or even have the capability of doing this for me from a design....

if you got this far thanks for reading and feel free to comment, tell me what you think, suggest other mods or changes you think may work better.... until I get the case this is all speculation of what I think I can do with it so feel free to put me straight.....

Is your post available as an audiobook? :p j/k. Anyways, All I have to say is I'm not sure I could live with myself if my mobo cost more than my GPU. That's a little messed. I'd go all outand get 2 980s and OC the snot out of them.

Is your post available as an audiobook? :p j/k. Anyways, All I have to say is I'm not sure I could live with myself if my mobo cost more than my GPU. That's a little messed. I'd go all outand get 2 980s and OC the snot out of them.

hahaha, to be fair the GPU is good enough for initial build, plus once i put 2-3 of them in the build then it will be a more balanced build, and i cant justify the cost of the 980 over the 970 for the sake of a small improvement. i think it was 10% from what i read which didn't justify it enough.... the components i chose are not because of their expense but what they bring to the overall build... the mobo i need the USB ports and i like the setup of ot and the expandability of it....

plus untill i get a custom loop in to link up the GPU im not going to overclock it at all, no need to for the main uses of the PC.

Back