• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it actually worth it to upgrade to a mouse with 500 or 1000hz polling rate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwhits

hello guys, I am an avid pc gamer (mainly fps such as counterstrike), and have been using my old mx518 for years and have read online that upgrading to a higher polling rate would in general feel smoother, is this true or would it be a placebo. also my monitor is only 60hz. (if that makes a difference)

Counterstrike is actually the only game I've noticed a difference between 500 and 1000. That said, mouse choice is actually kinda important to fps performance. 500 will definitely smooth things out over that ancient mouse you have.

Mouse polling rate yes makes a difference, as for which one to get its all relative to preference and what hands you got.

Personally logtechs give me carpel tunel due to the stiffness of their buttons and mouse wheel. Razer on the other hand is smooth like a woman, got me this new deathadder 2013 and I love it even more then original deathadder. Drivers kinda suck though with their new cloud synapsys crap. TO change sensitivity you have to adjust DPI, old Win 7 driver you could leave max DPI and adjust sensitivity seperatly

The last thing I did on my build was get a mouse and honestly it should have been the first thing. I went from a Microsoft "gaming" mouse to a deathadder. It was like learning how to walk again but after a week my hand got use to it and I found my precision went up ten fold. I was getting better hit ratio in bf3 and sniping became a joy for me.

Polling issues were why I refused to get an optical mouse when they first came out...Just saying that makes me feel old.
At the time opticals were too slow and the old ball mouse was faster..and a year or so later the optical slipped by the old ball mouse as far as performance and never looked back..Yes, I would agree that higher polling rate would help smoothe things a bit

Polling issues were why I refused to get an optical mouse when they first came out...Just saying that makes me feel old.
At the time opticals were too slow and the old ball mouse was faster..and a year or so later the optical slipped by the old ball mouse as far as performance and never looked back..Yes, I would agree that higher polling rate would help smoothe things a bit

If that makes you feel old, I remember when computers had no mouse to speak of. Lol.

Okay I think I will be upgrading pretty soon then, the Logitech g100s is on sale and so is the 2013 Razer deathadder. Based on looks the g100s looks to be more comfortable. has anyone had any experience with either of the mice?

Out of the two, the deathadder would be the winning choice 95% of the time. Death adders are fantastic mice, just a bit light for my tastes.

Considering coming from an MX518 I would highly suggest looking at the Logitech G400 as it is the same 518 shell with upgraded internals.

Last edited:
Back