• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new rig. New to liquid cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OGMCVilleTC

I'm building a new pc and plan on going the liquid cooling route. I have absolutely no experience with liquid cooling. I'm purchasing a core i7 5960, two gtx 970, two 1tb velociraptors, two 512gb Samsung 850 pros, Asus x99 deluxe, and 32gb corsair dominator later to upgrade to 64gb. I'm going with a case from mountain mods as of now. Not sure which one yet. I plan on cooling everything but the hdds and ssds. I've read about cooling the bridges (is that correct?) Would one radiator be fine? Should I have two? Is there a kit I can find that would contain everything I need? I've done some limited Google searching and haven't really turned up anything. I've also been reading the forums here and have a good idea on the parts I need. Is there a particular brand that is better than the rest? Thanks for any help. I'm going to go read some more and try not to get overwhelmed.

Edit 1: After doing some reading I think I'm going to go with ek blocks for my gpu, cpu, ram, and mosfet.

Last edited:
You only need to water cool the CPU and GPUs. Have a read at our water cooling stickies up top in this forum's section.

Ok I think I've narrowed down some parts. I think I'm going to go with swiftech mcp655 with a ek d5 x top, lf reaction 250mm res, I'm going go with the blocks from ek. I'm not sure on a radiator though. I want to go with an alphacool nexxxos but not sure which one. I plan on cooling two gpus and my cpu. I was thinking the 280. Should I use two radiators? Is there any other recommendations anyone can make? I'm not worried about noise as I use a headset to game. I just want to make sure everything stays cool when I overclock.

Are you referring to fans? I was also looking at the dual 180mm. Should I just get two 280's?

No.. total radiator size. I wouldnt go less than x4 120/140mm for the radiator size and amount of heat you need to get rid of.

Last edited:
Just got done talking with the wife. I'm going to out this build on hold. Reason being as she has given me the green light to spend up to 10k on a new PC. Just going to take about six months to save up the rest of the money. At that point I'll start another thread with about 1k to build my cooling system. I doubt I'll need that much but I plan on going all out and not holding any punches. Thanks for all the help up to this point. Just have to save enough for two 1tb ssds, two titans, and 64gb of ram. I'm still open to suggestions though on a dream water cooling build.

10k on a pc, lololol... Ok. I'm more than sure you can get away with 1/3 of that budget. The laws of diminishing returns apply here big time.

I'm just adding two 1tb Samsung 850 pros for storage and removing the velociraptors, adding another 32gb of ram, and the two titans. I may change up motherboards also. I'm thinking of having a case custom made too. That way everything can be self contained inside the case. If I don't use it all that is fine. I just want to build the ultimate rig.

Yikes.

Why Titans and not the faster and less power hungry 980s?
Why 64gb of ram... 16 is overkill for most?
What are your uses for this pc in the first place? If you share that with us, we can build the best pc for your money instead of blowing a hilarious 10k on a pc...seriously.

I'm going to use it for gaming, seti, video editing, and video converting. And 10k was just my limit. I was hoping I didn't have to spend all of it. I also plan on trying to do some extreme overclocking.

Well, extreme overclocking and daily driver really shouldn't be in the same sentence. With that budget, you can EASILY build two rigs. One for gaming and your encoding under water, and another for extreme overclocking (dry ice / ln2).

Please don't take this as an offensive. I am sure you are not the only one here that willing to spent $10K for a PC with the supposed for gaming. I can't see myself dumping $10K for that suppose, unless I am a rich man. :) I spent about $6K for mine with everything, including monitors, all said and done, and I am still bitching about how damn expensive it is, when you want to build a good high performance computer. But my PC are not built for the suppose of play games. My PC is built for Video/Photos editing works and of course capable for any games as well. Just my opinion. Its your Money and do what you want. :)

Money isn't really an issue. I've never had a really good pc so I just want something that is as high end as you can get. I've always been an enthusiast but never had enthusiast money. I'm by no means trying to brag either or come off elitist. Also you didn't offend me Bruce. I'm sure most people think I'm being an idiot spending that account of money on a pc. You only live once though and you can't take it with you. I think I'm going to go with four gtx 980s for the same price as two titans. Should I have a different loop for those? Also I want it to look really nice like a professional company put it together. Would it be better for the wow factor if I had a company like digital storm put it together. I'm not a very artistic person and want it to be aesthetically pleasing.

Nothing wrong with having more money than sense. However when you come here, we are going to(try) talk sense into you. :)

There comes a point where throwing money at a pc will not make it last longer, will not make it faster...

To that end, what resolution and how many monitors are you using to warrant buying 4 980s? Scaling is TERRIBLE with 4 cards and should only be used when it's actually required.

Perhaps build a $3k now and rebuild in 3 years. But it is a monumental waste of cash to build a 10k rig and expect it to be good enough in 5 years. New tech comes out that your old hardware can't use.

Last edited:
I was going to hook up two 4k 55 or 65 inch tv's to it. The last pc I built has lasted me up to this point. That was when the i7 920 came out. I don't necessarily have to spend the whole amount. That is just what I have for my budget. If say four gpus have very little benefit over two then I'd go with two. If 64gb ram has no benefit over 32gb then I won't use it. I guess I subconsciously came here to have sense talked into me. The wife normally does it but she opened her own salon and it's doing great and I recently got a promotion with a large bump in pay. Hence why she didn't care I guess. I guess what's most important is being able to play any game at max settings, overclocking for daily use, speed speed for converting videos, and aesthetics. I definitely want it to look awesome. Also I know we've gone way off topic. Should this be moved to another forum?

It may be best to bring this up again when you are a month or so away from buying.

I'm mobile, but can move.the thread when I am at a pc in a few days. :)

Sounds good. Can you recommend any custom case builders?

I personally like Caselabss. They also have mountainmods for custom cases as well. You could easily spend $1k+ on a caselabs case as a few guys have.

One of my overkill dream cases I've seen around that I'd like to get my hands on is the Caselabs TX10. lol Complete and utter overkill but great for a Gaming/Working PC and a server on the other side of it. If you don't want to get your hands wet and not sure than I'd recommend Origin, Digital Storm and the likes.

Back