• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What gaming gear do you use? Talk about it here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
Just as the title suggests this is a thread for people who want to discuss what gaming gear / peripherals [if any] they use. What they like about it, don't like, or new gear they simply want to have. I'm curious as to what others use so is the place to discuss about your favorite gaming equipment or new ideas for some kick *** gear you think should be made. Maybe you own a piece of gear and after using it for a while you have thought up some design ideas which would be improvements, well, talk about it here. Are you into VR? Do you own or have used an Oculus Rift? I would like to hear about it.

I'm going to kick it off with some of my thoughts on gaming gear in general and impressions of equipment I own.

Keyboards
I have never been particularly good at gaming on standard keyboards with a traditional key layout designed for typing. I can do it, but it ends up being more frustrating than enjoyable since the keys are too close together and my fingers are big so I end up hittings keys I didn't intend to push. When gaming you want to be comfortable with your setup which suits your personal preference for ease of control.

Since it's first inception I have always owned Ideazon's rare Zboard [No, not the "Zboard Fang" you can still find] with a dedicated gaming terrain which suits just about any game regardless of genre. Ideazon was bought out by Steelseries and that same board later became the Merc Stealth now being an illuminated keyboard with non-mechanical keys.
steelseries-merc.jpg

My most recent Merc died on me and I simply wasn't able to get another one at a decent price since it is a discontinued product and I'm not willing to pay $140+ for an item which only had a MSRP of $89 when it was still being made. If it wasn't worth more than $140 while in production why would it be worth that much to me now? Because it's discontinued and there is limited stock with various online retailers? Pffft please, I'll go without.

Luckily it was under warranty so I sent my merc back to Steelseries and they gave me an Apex Gaming Keyboard in return.
SteelSeries-Apex-Gaming-Keyboard1.jpg

First impressions are that it's a slick looking illuminated keyboard with a ton of macro keys, anti-ghosting and every bit just as big as the Merc was, but it is crazy light. You wouldn't think it's as light as it surprisingly is due to the way it looks and design wise I give it a big thumbs up even if the spacebar is a little unusual. It still has a typical key layout, but I like the button placement for the various controls and the USB hub is nice. Functionality wise I'm going to be undecided until I actually game with it since I need to try it at least once. We will see how durable it turns out to be, but I'm almost willing that if dropped only once if the impact is hard enough it will break because of the freaky weight to it.

Gameboards
No longer able to own a merc I wanted an addition to my keyboard dedicated soley for gaming so I went ahead and purchase a Logitech G13.
g13-gaming-gameboard-images.png

I love this thing. With plenty of shortcut keys you can easily customize a key layout for any game giving you easy and comfortable controls. The G13 gives you the option in having four macro layers for your game's custom profile so you can easily have four variations of keysets for each profile and it lets you make a ton of profiles. You also have a nice LCD screen for navigating profiles and in some games display statistics for your character. You can change the illumination of the keys so there is no shortage of flexibility with this thing which is always a plus. Some people think the default WASD keys with indentions in them are too high up, but when you position your arm just right they end up being where your fingers naturally fall onto the keyset. The true beauty of this thing is the logitech software for creating custom profiles since it is easy to navigate and to use in equal measure so making your own profiles become a breeze. There isn't any limitation to the key assignment for the G13 and you with plenty of buttons you will probably run out of game functions before you run out of buttons to program to your preference. It doesn't even take up that much space on your computer desk either.

if you're like me and don't particularly care for gaming on traditional keyboards and want an option then I give to you the G13 with a high recommendation, especially if you can find a deal for one. I adapted to it quickly and it didn't take long to remember where any of my shortcuts were and could easily hit them from muscle memory.

That's about it. Now lets hear about your gear ;)

I have a steel series apex as well. Great for a membrane keyboard... but I still cant stand it haha. I use a levetron mech 5 mx black, comes with a detachable mechanical keypad I can use as game pad if i wanted.

2013 Razer Naga mouse, my favorite mouse by far. HATED the 2014. I wanna find another 2013 just to have a back up when this one dies.

My gear:
- Logitech G710+
- Logitech G700
- Microsoft Xbox One Controller
- Fanatec CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, ClubSport Sequential Shifter

Controller is used for any game that I want to kick back and play.
Keyboard and mouse are used for any game that doesn't support controller or I don't feel plays well on the controller.
Wheel/pedals/shifter are obviously used for racing simulators.

My mouse is the 10 button Genius Death Knight:
A24P_130275989296066883XeQoYRfyYX.jpg

I really like the button placement and gives me more options in addition to the G13, but my only real complaint is that the silver paint corrodes and wears thin super easy. Mine has two big black spots on LMB & RMB from where my fingers push on the buttons. It's still a good mouse and aside from deteriorating aesthetics there is nothing wrong it. I just can't bring myself to buy another one when this one still works, but I'm glad someone brought up mice in general so now I can ask a community of people whom might know the answer to a question.

I've been wanting to repaint the mouse myself, but I have no idea what type of base or finish to use. I know for a fact it's not acrylic which is the most common paint base in walmart and hobby stores. I have asked the manufacturer whom are Chinese and either they really don't speak English all that well or they just don't want to tell me. The only thing they have told me is that it's "silver plating technology".

So looking at the pic and the metallic silver regions of the mouse what type of base and finish for a paint should I use if I were to repaint it? I know there's no way to match it exactly, but if I can get something close enough I would be satisfied. Hell, I would settle for a paint that just looks good. Maybe I should ask another way: If it was your mouse and you were going to repaint it what type of paint would you use?

I've seen some use car paint and heard from some over at Bit-Tech recommending Plastidip.

Whatever you do, I highly recommend taking out the electronics and working with just the case when doing the painting.

I recently got a Logitech G700S. It was on sale over black friday and thought I'd give a wireless mouse another shot as the cord of my G500 kept getting snagged on the edges of the keyboard tray on my desk. Good weight, frictionless scroll wheel, on-the-fly adjustable DPI, all that. Only downsides are battery life isn't the greatest in "game" mode, wireless range isn't that good, and the cable itself is a little bulky.

The keyboard I'm currently using is a Rosewill Apollo RK-9100xR. Another black friday deal - was $77 shipped. I had been using a Das Keyboard Pro with Cherry MX browns, but wanted to try switching to blues for a while. Also wanted a keyboard with backlighting, a wristrest, and a built in USB hub. I honestly don't see how this keyboard can have a normal price of $150, as it seems like they really cheaped out on it. The wristrest is flimsy and has a good amount of flex, the plastic has that cheap toy feel and there's a seam running around the keyboard, the software is pretty useless, there's a noticeable delay when the board powers on that the Das Keyboard never had, etc. But hey, it was a cheap keyboard and has Cherry keys, if the rest of the keyboard lasts six months I'll consider it worth it and then probably look for something different.

Last edited:
Oh I know! But it's still pretty hefty, that setup costs more than a lot of computers here

Oh, it's not actually cheap, just cheap for good sim gear :p

If you're not as picky about pedals/shifter, grab a G27.

well for a keyboard i have a like 8 year old logitech $10 keyboard from walmart, mx-518 mouse, steelseries ice mat mouse pad, and a 360 controller.

im a cheap *** :)

Lol, nothing wrong with being frugal wagex ;)

Same reason I wasn't willing to pay more than $140 for another Merc Stealth. The last merc I owned I paid $50, but now you can't find one anywhere near that price.

I can't complain though. I paid $50 for a Merc which performed like a trooper and when it broke I send it in to Steelseries who gave me a $99 Apex in return. More expensive keyboard minus the dedicated gaming terrain. It's a give-take situation.

well for a keyboard i have a like 8 year old logitech $10 keyboard from walmart, mx-518 mouse, steelseries ice mat mouse pad, and a 360 controller.

im a cheap *** :)

I use a $2 Microcenter mouse pad you're not the only cheapo here lol

MX-518, Steelseries 7G (bought review sample here from Janus67, would not of paid that retail price for a keyboard then, might now after going mechanical) X-box Controller and a logitech MOMO wheel I never use cause I suck at it.

I use a $2 Microcenter mouse pad you're not the only cheapo here lol

MX-518, Steelseries 7G (bought review sample here from Janus67, would not of paid that retail price for a keyboard then, might now after going mechanical) X-box Controller and a logitech MOMO wheel I never use cause I suck at it.

i do have a stash of mice i paid a $1.50 each from china that i use for like my server and spares work great for a buck. some keyboards i paid a dollar for on onesaleaday.com that i use for the same purpose :)

Mouse: Logitech G9X which fits my FPS style of play. I play with a claw/finger tip grip so any other mouse I have used for gaming just doesn't feel right in my hand, they are usually too big and bulky for my taste. I also have a G700S and MX 518 that freakdiablo and jaymz9350 mention above, I like both of them but just not for gaming.

Keyboard: CMStorm Quickfire Pro w/cherry browns, purchased 6 months ago and I'll never go back to a membrane keyboard!

Max Nighthawk X9 CherryMX Reds
Zowie FK1
Puretrak Talent Special Edition

- Having switched to the Nighthawk from a Ducky Shine 2 with Cherry Reds, I can say the costar stabilizers are something I definitely prefer the feel of over the Cherry stabilizers.

- As for the mouse, I'm a fingertip user coming from the Logi G400 that replaced my MX518. The Zowie's simpler approach to the mice casing as compared to the 510/518 shell I'm used to is closer to my liking of one of my previous mice, the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. The biggest issue for me is that in the past, since I like playing competitively in online tournies and LANs for CSGO and other titles, is that I played best with the MX518/G400 shape.... Despite my being fingertip grip and the shape being aimed at palm. The MIE 3.0 felt a LOT better and more comfortable in my hand though, so this was a good "re-learning" experience getting back to this shape. The sensor feels a bit smoother than what I've been used to, which is good, but the 800dpi on this mouse feels "faster" than the 800dpi on the Logi G400 that I'm coming from, but like I said, new mouse new experience. Just takes adjusting settings where needed and getting used to the feel.

- The mousepad is a simple slick cloth pad that works fantastic for me for the $20 that it sells for. Feels much smoother to me than the SS QcK+ and QcK Heavy I had prior. I'd love to purchase an Artisan Hayate or similar, but for now, while this thing is still working phenomenal for me, no reason to change.

Gamepad: Razer Tartarus
Mouse: Razer Mamba or Logitech MX400 when I'm listening to killing music. the Razer is to sensitive and jumps around more that the guys from House of Pain.

If you're to young to get that...

Wow. That was really bad. LOL
I have an old Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo I got at Fry's for $20 on sale. The only gaming I do is flight sims so I got a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro joystick (also on sale). I don't have any experience with any others to compare it to , but it seems pretty tough. Learning how to fly with a flight sim can be rough on the equipment. I've slammed the stick in every direction many times and it is still good as new. I have my eye on some nicer gear but it's waaaay over my budget.

Thermaltake Meka G-unit
Perixx MX2000ii (dont laugh, its been a great mouse for me, for less than $20)

Back