• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

My question is about keyboards. The KB I have now for my PC is an MSI Vigor GK71 Sonic. I got it because I thought it would be an advanced KB. Well I don't like it. The keys are too small. I like the KB on my Alienware laptop much better. I don't make nearly as many mistakes when typing on my laptop. And the texture of the keys on my laptop are more comfortable. I have come to realize that the best thing about my MSI KB are the lights. Can anyone help me find a KB for my PC that is in line with my laptop?:cool:

Thanks!

Shoot! I didn't see the Peripheral page....Can this be moved there?

Last edited:
I don't know what your laptop is like... but I love my Asus Strix Scope II. I have relatively large hands (can palm a basketball) and this one worked out for me. So much so, I bought a second when the first failed (outside of its warranty).

O hi, Keyboards...

I like keyboads.

can you link to your specific generation of Alienware laptop so we can compare the keyboard.

Selecting the "Perfect" keyboard:

1. Size, how many keys do you want, and what is your preferred layout? There are lots of other layouts but these are some common ones:
1706290349645.jpeg

2. Key Press: can you describe what you like about the Alienware keyboard?
a. Do the keys activate as soon as you start pressing they key, or does it activate at the bottom of the key press, or is the activation point somewhere in the middle?
b. How do the key presses feel? Are they smooth from beginning to end of the press (linear), do they increase in resistance to a single point and then release (tactile/bump), or is there a audible click and release like a keyboard from the 1990's?
c. how deep do the key presses feel before they bottom out? or if you can measure the difference between a pressed key and an unpressed key is it like a 1/4", less?

3. Connection type, USBc, 2.4ghz, Blutooth? Do you want a battery/wireless?

4. Software, are you wanting something you can custom program and build macros, do you want total control where you can load custom firmware?

4. Lighting, do you want RGB, white, other single color?

5. Key type, there are lots of different key profiles, the most common are called OEM and Cherry, but do you want something specific like low profile/chicklet styles? Do you want to customize your keyboard to match your style, or interests?
1706291445450.jpeg
Post magically merged:

Some of my keyboards:

1706291651464.jpeg 1706291667909.jpeg 1706291689008.jpeg 1706291702816.jpeg 1706291820793.jpeg 1706291843359.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought that I at least had an "idea" about keyboards. This is a lot of great information. I did laugh at the Apple profile. Just thin and flat.

I thought that at least had an "idea" about keyboards. This is a lot of great information. I did laugh at the Apple profile. Just thin and flat.
yeah... and thats not even comprehensive when it comes to key profiles and shapes, same with the layout options. Custom builds get crazy!

but I love my Asus Strix Scope II.
Pricey KB. But sounds like a good one. But I feel like it's worth the money.
can you link to your specific generation of Alienware laptop so we can compare the keyboard.
M18 R1 13th Gen
Post magically merged:

a. Do the keys activate as soon as you start pressing they key, or does it activate at the bottom of the key press, or is the activation point somewhere in the middle?
Im gonna say at the bottom to somewhere in the middle.
I make less mistakes
b. How do the key presses feel?
It feels smooth and soft.

Pricey KB. But sounds like a good one. But I feel like it's worth the money.

M18 R1 13th Gen
Post magically merged:

Im gonna say at the bottom to somewhere in the middle.

I make less mistakes

It feels smooth and soft.

Do you want something similar, with low profile and 96-100 keys in a compact form factor?

Do you feel like you make fewer mistakes because the keys are low profile and close together?

Smooth and soft, sounds like linear switches.

So this is similar to the Alienware but a bit more compact, if you like the layout I would suggest the one with RGB+Hotswap Red switches. Dont get optical switches, you end up with fewer choices if you want to switch in the future.

This is the keyboard I showed on top of my laptop. Its my travel board as it fixes all the issues I have with my work laptop. I have the version with clicky blue keys but for you I would again suggest RGB + Hotswap Mechanical Reds.

I have not tested this one, but its a very similar layout to the Alienware its low profile, you can get mechanical red switches, and like the Keychron its QMK/VIA compatible so there is no crappy OEM propitary software. With the Aloe or Cowberry it should feel similar, the Aloe is a much softer switch, or the Gateron Red's.

O hi, Keyboards...

I like keyboads.

Selecting the "Perfect" keyboard:

1. Size, how many keys do you want, and what is your preferred layout? There are lots of other layouts but these are some common ones:

b. How do the key presses feel? Are they smooth from beginning to end of the press (linear), do they increase in resistance to a single point and then release (tactile/bump), or is there a audible click and release like a keyboard from the 1990's?
c. how deep do the key presses feel before they bottom out? or if you can measure the difference between a pressed key and an unpressed key is it like a 1/4", less?

3. Connection type, USBc, 2.4ghz, Blutooth? Do you want a battery/wireless?

4. Software, are you wanting something you can custom program and build macros, do you want total control where you can load custom firmware?

4. Lighting, do you want RGB, white, other single color?

5. Key type, there are lots of different key profiles, the most common are called OEM and Cherry, but do you want something specific like low profile/chicklet styles? Do you want to customize your keyboard to match your style, or interests?

Post magically merged:

Some of my keyboards:

WOW... like... WHO ARE YOU??!?! :O

I have a more budget keycrhon model (K7) and I love it. The so-called ergo board my work provided was making my hands hurt.

WOW... like... WHO ARE YOU??!?! :O
O you know, normal geek who is into far to many hobbies. I game, build 3d printers, design 3d printable parts and tools, build keyboards, home lab, do wood working, home construction, networking, fiber optics, boy scouts... Im sure there is more but yeah I like a good quality keyboard and I enjoy building them.

I didn't realize there were so many options. I am a little over whelmed. Is there anything on the less expensive side of things? I know, I picked the wrong hobby for that. :bang head

I didn't realize there were so many options. I am a little over whelmed. Is there anything on the less expensive side of things? I know, I picked the wrong hobby for that. :bang head
its easy to do, honestly the Keychron for the price is a hell of a buy, its hot swap meaning you can replace the switches if you dont like them, and same with the key caps. I would strongly suggest buying the K17 Pro unless you really like they layout of the NuPhy Air 96 (I prefer that layout personally) The NuPhy is a bit more expensive, and I cant vouch for its quality while I can for the Keychron.

Both come with caps and switches, and again as long as you get Linear switches it should be very similar to your Alienware laptop. Then in 6months to a year when your ready for a change we can swap out caps or switches and you can try something new, without having to buy a whole new keyboard.

Keyboards dont get much cheaper unless you give up things like hot swap, quality key caps, rgb, and universal software. Something like a Redragon will tick most boxes but the RGB wont be fully customizable in software, they switches will be garbage, and it will be made from ABS plastic which some people like, but I find it turns shiny and greasy while PBT holds its feel and texture much better.

its easy to do, honestly the Keychron for the price is a hell of a buy, its hot swap meaning you can replace the switches if you dont like them, and same with the key caps. I would strongly suggest buying the K17 Pro unless you really like they layout of the NuPhy Air 96 (I prefer that layout personally) The NuPhy is a bit more expensive, and I cant vouch for its quality while I can for the Keychron.

Both come with caps and switches, and again as long as you get Linear switches it should be very similar to your Alienware laptop. Then in 6months to a year when your ready for a change we can swap out caps or switches and you can try something new, without having to buy a whole new keyboard.

Keyboards dont get much cheaper unless you give up things like hot swap, quality key caps, rgb, and universal software. Something like a Redragon will tick most boxes but the RGB wont be fully customizable in software, they switches will be garbage, and it will be made from ABS plastic which some people like, but I find it turns shiny and greasy while PBT holds its feel and texture much better.
Thank you for all the insight! I may pull the trigger on the K17 soon.

Thank you for all the insight! I may pull the trigger on the K17 soon.
Any time, just to help cement your choice, as you saw I have about 10 keyboards, and the 2nd one I bought was my Keychron, and its the one I keep going back to. Its the best for typing, its as close as I can get to full sized without eating up my desk, and with all the mods I have done to it, it looks cool AF IMO.
Post magically merged:

This EVGA KB I use is fantastic.

I hate everything about that board, OEM proprietary software that they can EOL any time they want, proprietary optical switches, not even hotswap optical switches, and the price, for $20 more you could have something that will last a lifetime and probably a coffee spill or two!

I love my K7. You could get a keychron in whatever format you like and safe a bit of money giving up RGB and hot swapping, but then if you don't like the switches you won't be able to change it out. If you're fairly confident in what kind of switch you want, or not picky, then it seems safe to do that if you need to save the money.

Keychron you say? I might have a few, would recommend for sure :)

All fully modded with sorbothane force break and case lining for antiping, various levels of plate and switch foam plus tape on PCB.

Q6 in silver with FR4 plate, Designer Studio White Jade switches, MT3 Godspeed caps, Owlstabs v2
q6_silver.jpg

K10 with PC plate, Healio v2 switches, Zeal plate stabs, Epomaker silicone keycaps
k10_silicone.jpg

Q6 in blue with PC plate, Epomaker Iceberg Silent White (Haimu Heartbeat recolors) switches, Owlstabs v2, Epomaker silicone caps
q6_blue.jpg

Q6 in silver with FR4 plate, Designer Studio White Jade switches, TX stabs, GMK Laser caps
q6_laser.jpg

K10 painted with custom mixed spray paint in the Noctua Pantone codes, steel plate painted as well, Haimu Heartbeat switches, Zeal plate stabs, Drop/Noctua caps
q6_noctua.jpg

Q6 SE in purple, POM plate, switches assembled from JWK Black Lotus and Chosfox Hanami Dango for green/purple bling, TX stabs, GMK Zooted caps
q6se_zooted.jpg

Q6 SE in purple with PC plate I custom painted with Tamiya neon green, diamond polished, lubed, filmed, broken in Shogoki switches, Durock v2 stabs, GMK Mecha caps.
q6se_eva.jpg q6se_eva_plate.jpg

Back