• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the (teh) wheels done fellded oft!!! HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just got my asrock extreme 9/ 4790K rig back in service and now it's down, the rig posts fine, i can fool around in the bios just fine, but as it loads winders and the starting winders message with little balls circling shows it black screens and re boots.

specs
win7 pro
psu= evga 850 g2 gold
memory trident f3-2400c10d-8gtx
motherboard, asrock extreme 9 z97
cpu, intel 4790K
gpu's, gigabyte hd 7970 windforce, asus hd7970 dcuii, sapphire hd 7770oc, evga gtx 770sc, gigabyte gtx 760oc.
ssd, 3 crucial m500 240 gig.

what I have tried so far,
each gpu in each slot, one gpu at a time.
2, 2 stick kits of ram, on stick at a time in each of the four slots.
all 3 ssd's one at a time in each of 2 sata ports.
ubuntu from a live cd, failed to boot.
1050 watt psu installed.
500 watt psu installed.
all have failed to boot the brick this evening.

have i forgotten anything before i have to pull my water cooling system swap in my spare motherboard?

"the (teh) wheels done fellded oft!!! HELP!!!!"

butthead :p

That said, sounds like you narrowed it down dude! Mobo or CPU is all thats left :-/. What happened to get it "out of service" to bring it back in?

I moved, stuff happened that need my time, I'm lazier than anybody else, I just rebuilt it and rebuilt it till it looked good, I hate plumbing and replumbing a water cooling system, my dog ate my home work.
actually i hated the way it looked inside.

Have you tried to boot from Winderz disc? Black screen after the logo begins says that the OS has encountered an error during the boot cycle, could be hardware related, but you may just need to repair an MBR or such. Try booting to Safe Mode as well.

Last edited:
trying to boot to safe mode reboots at drivers/class/pnp then black screen and reboot

Plug and Play driver is amiss. Do you have the latest BIOS, OS updates? Can you reduce the machine's hardware footprint and force a new install?

right now this thing will not see an optical drive nor usb.
I am going to try an overnight cmos rest and will grab my spare board and cpu from storage friday.

Robert, I am at min hardware,

gpu, hd7770.
mem, 1 stick, corsair, 1866.
psu, evga 850 g2.
ssd, 1 crucial, m500

Thats really acting like how my fatality failed. You sure we have no leaks and all that jazz? ESD damage from assembly?

I was on the phone with Rgone last night and his thoughts are that I may have fried the cpu or motherboard with the high clocks (5.0, 4.8, 4.8,4.8) and manner that i brute force it with voltage.
it could also be that i have not been resetting bios to default when I reimaged and reinstalled that is causing me all this grief.
I figure it's corruption as I can not install ati driver 14.9 or 14.12 and have to run a 13.xx video driver with my 7970 cards.
I have A spare 4790K and extreme 9 motherboard to test with or to relace these with just incase I have toasted them.

my water block has been known to leak from the barb threads, but i think i have cured that by replacing the o-rings with flat, rubber gaskets and I see no signs of water on the board or cards,
I run uv dye in the system and see no staining.

So are you saying that you have it into windows Now?

johan, at this point it black screens when winders loads, I have it in clear cmos mode right now and will try again to get it to reinstall when I can tonight.

Ah, I just wondered since you mentioned corruption and drivers. Good luck with it bud !

Ah, I just wondered since you mentioned corruption and drivers. Good luck with it bud !

C_D has been having the ATI BLKSOD shett and had to remain on older drivers. ATI needs to get their head out with that shett. Hits 290 cards hard but others as well. Hale I had it for a few with a dang lowly 7770 card.

C_D one busy boy and had rig apart for a few weeks. Put it all back together and ran and benched for at least a day or so and turned off one evening and came back next evening and right front and left rear had disappeared. He fired it up a second time and the other two round rolling objects blew off the studs and the whole thing wound up dead in a ditch.

I would have said freeken ATI BLKSOD but it first had the windows rotating balls and then finally got to where it would not show them. But he could still get in bios. He has swapped for testing everything but the board and cpu. LINUX LIVE will not even work. SO I think it is the cpu. But it could be the mobo. It is too dang far into the ditch to tell for sure. To boot to bios you have to have a cpu. But how much cpu? Don't know.

The good if you can call anything good about it is that he does have spares. Long live spares.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
He wasn't messing with that ram again and blew a BIOS was he?

tried it with the alt bios, no change, this always happens when I try ati gpu driver 14.9 or 14.12.

WELL, it's fixed, but not by me!!!!!!
the low down, I had my computer guy have at it and he tore it down, found some sort of bent pins, so he took it to the guy that repairs, mods and rebuilds gauges for me (a saturday, I wonder what this is going to cost me :shock: ).
he chucked it in, better but still crashing when idle :bang head.
next he tried both a and b bios, one horrid, one just bad, he updated both bios annnnnnnnnnddd.......... fixed!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup:
how on earth did i bugger up both bios with a gpu driver change?????????

Back