• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contemplating building a "small" home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpjkw11

We have 2 desktops, 3 laptops, 1 tablet, 2 "dumb" cell phones, and 2 cameras. This is the first time I've seriously considered a home server/NAS so I need to learn the rudiments, like total newbie (which is what I am).

We're sharing more and more data, 99% pics, between our PCs. In the past, simply connecting a camera to a computer in order to upload pics has worked OK. But we're taking more pics these days and it would sure be nice to upload once and share with each PC. I have all the components except the HHDs, case, and PSU. I'd prefer to keep costs below $500 usd if possible.

As I understand it, a home server is the best (only?) way to go. So several questions are in order:

1) How much HDD storage is recommended? We do not stream movies, videos, or music. I'm a serious Western Digital fan.
2) What software is needed/ recommended? I would like free software, or at least inexpensive. I think MSFT wants like $100.
3) Is a server setup with wi-fi connections like our laptops, or would I have to run cables?
4) There other things I have to be aware of, so it'll help if ya'll have an Aunt Claire Voyant?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bob

you can do it multiple ways there is free nas software out there or you can just install a windows os on it and share the drives.

personally i would wire it to a router wireless things like the tablet and laptops can connect to the router wirelessly but ideally you want your server to be wired as even the fastest wifi is still no match for the fastest wired.

HDD is up to you, i started a plex server for movies in my house with a 500 gb hdd and with in 6 months it was up to 4.5tb and runing out of space. so if you takes tons of pics then you might wanna go about it like this, how much space do your current pics take up then double and if you could tripple the HDD to give ou wiggle room. i use nothing but WD drives myself. i have come to expect nothing but data loss from S**Tgate drives i got 12year old WD's that out last New S**Tgate drives. out of a hundred or so WD drives i had one fail out of 25 S**Tgate drives i have had ALL OF THEM FAILED. you might want to think ssd as well.

Given how new you are to this, I'd highly recommend just running a copy of Windows and sharing some drives. The learning curve is very low and you pretty much get instant gratification. NAS software and Linux based OS's might make more sense in the future, but for now I'd say start with the basics. Of course, if you don't want to shell out $100 for an OS, you might look into an open source alternative, but if you have access to Windows, I'd go that route.

Get a case that fits your style and has a decent amount of HDD bays for expansion in the future.
For the PSU, get something small and reliable, a Corsair CX430 can be had routinely for $20-$30 after rebates.
For storage, it's based entirely upon your needs. Pictures can add up quickly (especially if shot in RAW), but a single large capacity (1TB+) drive should last you a while. Storage is easily expandable in the future, so don't concern yourself with it too much at this point.

you don't really need k.b. mouse and monitor either, you can transfer friles from one pc to the server or get a kvm switch and share K.B. mouse and monitor with another pc they can be had fairly cheap

Thank you both for the advice. Sparkey247, my existing cable modem has four Ethernet available connectors, so hard wiring is a snap. Both of you suggested using Windows and sharing drives. Pcgamer4life mentioned the easier learning curve and that really appeals to me. I was thinking about one 4TB WD HDD or two 2TB HDDs, and the thought of using an SSD crossed my mind, but I think that would be overkill from an operational and financial standpoint.

One additional thought: I have two desktops, but only one (in my signature) is used daily. Even though the other desktop, i7 4790K, would be massive overkill, could the extra rig be used as a server with, say, windows 7? Adding another 2TB WD HDD would be easy and inexpensive. Just a thought. At lest my older rig wouldn't be lying fallow like it is now.

that would be more than enough. win7 is just fine to use sometimes its a little tricky getting to drives on another pc through 7 as long as they are on the same network lets say pc and pc2 are both on the home network then sharing drives is a cinch. that 4790K is only 88 watts which makes it ideal because it uses little power so thats great and if you want to ever stream music of movies you have that reserve and on top of it all your utilizing hardware that you payed a decent amount for. you can turn on things like speed step and eist and the cpu will downclock when its under no load, you can even utilize the ondie gpu no need for a discrete videocard drawing power so yes what you got may seem overkill but its more than sufficient and is very efficient. when i started streaming i went from a dually woldale to a kentsfield quad to a nehalem six core but i stream movies and tv shows to roku's through out my house. you will be able to set the sharing options in win7 fairly easy and there is lots of info on the net on the mater and there is always the forum guys too. i only suggested the ssd for the os. my server runs two ssd's in raid for the os and all my other drives are WD green drives. thats my prefrence and may not be yours and thats cool because in the end your using it and it is what you want it to be. and for just pics you don't need ssds heck for movies i don't i just had them laying around and figured i utilize them

one more thing i know you modem has exsisting ports what speed are they? idealy you want them to be Gigbit makes for transfering files quick. then again if all your doing is pics then 10/100 is not bad either. its actually a good idea. plugging it into your modem because then all your other devices get internet off that modem so you won't runinto much trouble trying to get your devices to see the pics. i run 3 seperate networks that all connect to the modem which is where the server is so no matter what wireless signal the roku or my talbet is connected to in the house they can all easily see my movies and shows

Thanks for the additional info, sparkey. I forgot about using an SSD as a boot-up and I have a spare Samsung 840 PRO so that's a great way to go. I have no idea the speed of the modem ports. The modem is an Arris furnished by the cable company. We have phone, TV, and internet as a bundle.

It is a gigabit connection. That much I do know, sparkey.

So on that note, I'll start the learning process. Thanks for all the help, gentlemen, I sincerely appreciate it.

I had a server set up and it was just a power drain. I had no KB or monitor and just remote desktoped if I needed to access it. I do use my game rig as secure storage and it can act as a server but I have found that a decent router with a port for NAS is great. As far as size? It is up to you but I say a couple of TB 2.5"s in raid 0 on a external USB based raid capable NAS storage unit would be all you needed.

Yeah its one of those things that only some can fully utilize, and those who don't see no reason for it. My server is on more often then any other pc in the house as it streams to about five different rokus in the house

Back