• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build 2015, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DR4LUC0N

Registered
I have a build I've been working on for awhile now, my budget is around $2600.00, give or take a few. I was wondering if someone would mind giving suggestions. I'm not a noob when it comes to building PCs, but I still like advice with reasoning. This will be used mostly for gaming, but I also do video, audio and photo editing once in awhile and would like it to be smooth and fast. I plan on buying the build in about 1 month or so. My current PC is about 4 years old now and runs decent still....just not for everything I use it for. Here it is.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DR4LUC0N/saved/fWFKHx

My current plans for the new PC:
The 980 - So I can run my games at 120/144HZ with that monitor.
2 SSD and 1 HDD - Small SSD for OS and programs - Bigger SSD for games - HDD for music and movies and anything else.
The i7-4790k - I'd like to do some overclocking, and play games or video audio editing with a breeze, also to multitask.
16GB RAM - Pretty much the same as above.

P.S. I plan on driving to Microcenter for the cheaper i7-4790k.

Last edited:
What's the deal with the dual SSDs in different capacities?
I like your build for the most part. I would change the CPU cooler. That cooler you picked is one of the most difficult coolers to install. I would suggest going with an ALC liquid cooler such as a Corsair H105. This also frees you up to use "tall" RAM, which brings me to my next thought, Corsair RAM is overpriced (just my opinion). For about what you're going to pay for 1600Mhz RAM you could get 2400Mhz RAM that's just as good, and better performing, from a different vendor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=team_xtreem_2400-_-20-313-325-_-Product

Also, you should change your power supply. You don't need anywhere near 750W for this build. Also, CX power supplies are not very high quality. I would suggest an only slightly more expensive Seasonic SSR G650. That leaves you enough wattage for a second 980 down the line, and gives you a better quality gold certified PSU.

The case and motherboard you chose are two of the best you could have gone with. Everything else seems good.

Thanks for your advice and I have read and seen reviews about the Dark Rock Pro 3 installation issues. Until I saw
Unless he's really doing it wrong. Also I'm trying to go with more of a silent build and AIO water coolers have quite a bit of noise. Don't get me wrong I love them, they are sleek and easy to use. But more can go wrong with them. Pump failure, leakage(I know it's rare but possible) and noisier. I have no problem switching it if you think that would make that much of a difference.

On the RAM part, I'm still up in the air about. I don't mind its LP RAM at all, but I know they are a little more expensive.

The PSU I can see is over kill. I didn't want to go with Seasonic because I like the idea of Corsair PSU flat cables for better cable management. Once again if you think me going to Seasonic would be a better choice I can switch. I know they're basically the same item just rebranded.

Also I edited my post to explain why I have 2 SSDs and what not.

See my edits here:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zx4VHx

Changed:
- Cooler (better, comes with good compound too so I removed that)
- RAM (saves money, faster, not mismatched)
- Fans (better quality, will flow better as well)
- HDD and SSD
- PSU (other one was lower quality, you don't need near a 750W, even 550W is overkill for this rig)

If not going x99 I would wait for the next mainstream platform at this point

you have one heck of a budget, so I you will not really need to make any compromises unless you choose to.

I were going to build a gamer today I would look at a 5820K with a decent board.

This will not outperform a 4970K by any means in most cases, however it will crush it in all things that can make use of the extra threads.

it will also aid in multitasking, and has to potential to bring that 4790k to it's knees if the proper editing software is utilized

@ATMINSIDE - Would you mind explaining why you chose the Rosewill 140mm fans over the the Aerocool? Also the 1TB SSD over the 2 SSDs? Just curious.

@Witchdoctor - I would say it's 90% gaming, 10% editing and muti-threaded application use.

if that is the case, them I would hold out for Broadwell at this point

Stay clear of the Aerocool's they have a wonky sound to them

@ATMINSIDE - Would you mind explaining why you chose the Rosewill 140mm fans over the the Aerocool? Also the 1TB SSD over the 2 SSDs? Just curious.

@Witchdoctor - I would say it's 90% gaming, 10% editing and muti-threaded application use.

The Rosewill Hyperborea fans are very high quality. They're also PWM, so you can vary speed via a 4-pin motherboard header.

One SSD is cheaper per GB. Also, no need to keep an OS/Programs drive separate from the games drive.
Keep files on the HDD, keep OS/Programs/Games on the SSD.

Also, the Corsair and Seasonic are NOT "basically the same thing". The Seasonic is a MUCH higher quality unit than the CX PSU's.

Apparently Broadwell for desktops won't be out for quite some time. This time of next year I can just but a new Mobo/CPU combo. I'm fine with that.

Thanks for your advice and I have read and seen reviews about the Dark Rock Pro 3 installation issues. Until I saw
Unless he's really doing it wrong. Also I'm trying to go with more of a silent build and AIO water coolers have quite a bit of noise. Don't get me wrong I love them, they are sleek and easy to use. But more can go wrong with them. Pump failure, leakage(I know it's rare but possible) and noisier. I have no problem switching it if you think that would make that much of a difference.

On the RAM part, I'm still up in the air about. I don't mind its LP RAM at all, but I know they are a little more expensive.

The PSU I can see is over kill. I didn't want to go with Seasonic because I like the idea of Corsair PSU flat cables for better cable management. Once again if you think me going to Seasonic would be a better choice I can switch. I know they're basically the same item just rebranded.

Also I edited my post to explain why I have 2 SSDs and what not.

The CX corsairs are defiinitely not Seasonic. Corsair rebrands a myriad of PSUs from many different vendors for their different lines. You should pick a PSU for reliability, build quality, and efficiency. Choosing a low end PSU because it has flat cables is kind of wacky IMO.

You do not need 2 SSDs. SSDs do fragment, just like HDDs, but it makes no difference to the performance of the SSD. Because it can access any bit of data anywhere on any NAND chip at the same speed, you really don't lose performance on a fragmented SSD the way you would on an HDD. The dual drives are kind of silly. You're better off just buying a single 1TB SSD.

Yes, AIO coolers can be a tiny bit noisier, due to the pump. But most fans are louder than the pumps on AIOs. Yes, leakage can happen, but it is rare. Big air is more reliable as there is no pump to fail or jam and there is nothing to leak, but a 280mm ALC/AIO will outperform pretty much any big air heatsink on the market. The only one that comes close to big league AIO is the Noctua NHD15. It doesn't fit on many boards or in many cases, so you have to do a little research.

The CX corsairs are defiinitely not Seasonic. Corsair rebrands a myriad of PSUs from many different vendors for their different lines. You should pick a PSU for reliability, build quality, and efficiency. Choosing a low end PSU because it has flat cables is kind of wacky IMO.

You do not need 2 SSDs. SSDs do fragment, just like HDDs, but it makes no difference to the performance of the SSD. Because it can access any bit of data anywhere on any NAND chip at the same speed, you really don't lose performance on a fragmented SSD the way you would on an HDD. The dual drives are kind of silly. You're better off just buying a single 1TB SSD.

Yes, AIO coolers can be a tiny bit noisier, due to the pump. But most fans are louder than the pumps on AIOs. Yes, leakage can happen, but it is rare. Big air is more reliable as there is no pump to fail or jam and there is nothing to leak, but a 280mm ALC/AIO will outperform pretty much any big air heatsink on the market. The only one that comes close to big league AIO is the Noctua NHD15. It doesn't fit on many boards or in many cases, so you have to do a little research.

He won't have any problems fitting an NH-D14 or NH-D15 with his board and case selection.

If I were to go with the H-100i what SP fans would you suggest that would go with the color scheme?

Or if I were to go with the Noctua any suggestion on fans? I absolutely despise that fan color.

Also the build has been updated a bit, but trying to lower the amount a little. It's possible to pay that much but I'd rather try and avoid 2650.00 if possible.

Last edited:
The Glacer 240L seems really nice, can expand the loop later, add new liquid and comes with decent PWM fans preinstalled.

The Hyperborea fans are still better than those NZXT fans.
No need for the optical drive.
Grab a tube of NT-H1. Almost 1/3 the price, no difference in performance.

If you're planning to expand the loop, this is better:
http://www.swiftech.com/H220-X.aspx

on the 2 ssd's, 1 good ssd is all you need, games load into ram most of the time anyway, i have just played with this and the ssd for game installs is nice, but will not pay off in any big way.
I have also just finished playing with ram speeds in games, just get good quality 1600, I like gskill.
what i found from 800 all the way up to 2400 ram was just don't use 800 ram, other than fraps showing 1-2 fps better, ram matters little.
I also found that for the most part 8 gigs of ram is more than enough most of the time.
the only time I found more than 8 gigs of ram of any use was to open 40 tabs of a web browser at the same time.
some games may use more, some software uses more.

Back