• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabit Switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is it really that absurd? Google Fiber is rolling out in a nice list of cities now. Gigabit internet is right around the corner.

If by right around the corner, you mean when Google finally covers all of the US with its fiber sometime in the year..... 2250 (give or take a couple of decades), since we all know the current monopoly doesn't want to let this come to fruition from themselves or anyone else, then yes, I wholeheartedly agree that gigabit internet is right around the corner. Please remember to wire my urn when this finally comes to pass. :beer:

Is it really that absurd? Google Fiber is rolling out in a nice list of cities now. Gigabit internet is right around the corner.

I edited my post slightly while you were replying
You aren't limited to a single line because no LAN traffic goes over that line. The only way that line would be a bottleneck is if he had a gigabit internet connection and 7 machines plugged into the switch trying to download from the web simultaneously, and all 7 downloads were serviced by remote connections that could supply ~20MB/s download speeds. These are all absurd scenarios in the US right now.

By the time this situation becomes common, I'm sure fiber or 10gbe will be more common in the home. Until then, there's no reason to be concerned.

We've derailed quite a bit, but the takeaway is that in a real-world scenario, there's no limitation of connecting your switch to your router, and all your devices to your switch.

but still with gigabit internet you arent going to cap a single gigabit connection from the router to the switch unless you have faster than gigabit, but then your switch is going to bottleneck it and unless your modem has 10gbe ports then it is going to bottleneck it as well.

Back