• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedy Reply Needed: Case Fans and RGB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I'm looking at purchasing this NZT case: https://nzxt.com/en-FR/product/h7-flow-rgb

...or the one that's just like it without the RGB fans.

The Corsair case (and some other case I was looking at) had fan headers right on the case and button to directly control the RGB lights. I'm not seeing that here...

So how do these fans connect to the motherboard? And... if I was to get something like this: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07VV4VC28/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A16G2RYKO3IO8J&psc=1

...could I control them from the motherboard as well?

This is the other case I was looking at: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0B31GC53C/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3RXL4BF4ZZCRU&psc=1

NZXT stopped shipping newer cases with a fan hub, but they still sell them in the website if you want to use their fans:

NZXT stopped shipping newer cases with a fan hub, but they still sell them in the website if you want to use their fans:

Thanks. I ultimately went with the NZXT H7 Flow, non-RGB version... just because it was cheaper and I got sick of looking at cases. It'll be here tomorrow. It looks like the CoolerMaster 5000D might've been the way to go... as it comes with all of the RGB connectors and controllers and whatnot... but they want TWO HUNDRED FIFTY BUCKS for that.

The reason I didn't wind up getting the H7 Flow RGB version is because it was about 24 bucks (euros in this case) more than the non-RGB version... and I figured I could use that money to figure out the whole RGB situation. Unbeknownst to me... I apparently had some kind of 20 euro credit with Amazon... so I ended up getting the H7 Flow for only 119...

Oh well...

Now I have both time and a BUDGET for figuring out the whole fan thing.

Maybe you can help me understand how controlling these fans work? Apparently, I guess, you need some sort of SATA or PCI-E connector on an ARGB controller like this: https://www.amazon.fr/CTRICALVER-ports-Controleur-répartiteur-broches/dp/B099DJM2GQ

Then do you need the NZXT controller in ADDITION to that? Or is it basically the same thing?

PHEW... there's really a LOT more to this thing to understand... 3 pin fans vs 4 pin fans... then there are also controllers that do either 3 or 4pins...

Was about to get two of the controllers I linked to above... only to discover that they only controlled 3-pin non-pwm fans. Is that something I actually care about? Who knows! hahaha :D

I really have a lot to learn about this whole thing.

So can you NOT control the speed of a 3-pin fan? Or do you just have MORE control over the speed with a 4 pin fan? I would imagine either configuration can handle rgb just fine?

So can you NOT control the speed of a 3-pin fan? Or do you just have MORE control over the speed with a 4 pin fan?
The article you linked explained this already.

...you can control the speed on both the same (PWM more granular, but I never had an issues with setting DC fans). They just work differently. One lowers voltage so the RPMs lower (3-pin/DC), the other modulates power on/off to reach the desired speed (4-pin PWM = Pulse Width Modulation).

I really have a lot to learn about this whole thing.
There really isn't much to it, lol. Your fans are either 3/4-pin and have RGB (also 3(aRGB)/4(RGB)-pin).

The link in post #3 was for an RGB controller, not a fan controller. I think the difference between 3 & 4 pin is 5v RGB vs 12v RGB.

Are you looking for a Fan Controller or an RGB Controller?

Four pin (aka PWM) fans have better control and use less power. You can't mix 3 & 4 pin fans on the same controller. If you send a PWM signal from the motherboard to the controller the 3 pin fans can't respond to it. If you send a 3 wire control signal from the motherboard, the PWM fans won't respond. All the fans on the controller need to be the same type to work properly.

Looking at the RGB controller linked, it is an eleven port controller. But it has twelve connectors. The 12th connector will go to an RGB header on your motherboard to send the color signal to the fans. Fan controllers work the same way, with an input speed signal to send to all connected fans.

The link in post #3 was for an RGB controller, not a fan controller. I think the difference between 3 & 4 pin is 5v RGB vs 12v RGB.

Are you looking for a Fan Controller or an RGB Controller?

I definitely want an RGB controller... but since that only controls lights... how, then, do you go on to control the fan speed? Do you go out from the RGB controller to the fan controller and THEN to the motherboard? Or how does that work?

You can also take a look at this case - https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cases/MORPHEUS-Modular-High-Airflow-ATX-Case/2023/17501.shtml It just looks more like NZXT, but it can be adjusted (single or dual chamber and PSU can be on the bottom or front). It has only RGB on/off and can add more devices to the switch (ARGB plugs/splitters).
Maybe I missed something. I have one, but I only had time to unpack it and check if it arrived safely. It will probably end in the second test rig.

I use simple 1->3 ARGB and/or fan splitters and connect them to the motherboard. I don't remember when I used any fan or RGB hub the last time. Everything can be managed from BIOS or motherboard software and then you synchronize everything. Hubs usually won't let to do that.

Last edited:
I definitely want an RGB controller... but since that only controls lights... how, then, do you go on to control the fan speed? Do you go out from the RGB controller to the fan controller and THEN to the motherboard? Or how does that work?
RGB fans typically have two connectors... one for power and speed, the other for RGB control. With that, the power/speed control (3/4 pin) goes into the motherboard/your controller, and the RGB end (also 3/4 pin, depending on what you buy) goes into the RGB controller/motherboard RGB headers.

The fans & the RGB each need their own controller unless you get proprietary RGB fans that come with their own controller (and generally a rather cheesy remote control).

Okay. Decided to go with these fans: https://www.amazon.fr/Thermalright-TL-C12CW-S-Ventilateur-silencieux-ventilateur/dp/B0BKKXCBH6

...and the RGB controller I linked to earlier. I got a two pack of the controllers because it was only an extra 4 bucks. I could always use the second one on the machine in my sig.

I've been building computers since I was like EIGHT... but not once have I given a second (or even first) thought about the fans. If the case came with at least one fan I plugged it in... and that was it.

These fans are 4pin PWM with 3 pins for the RGB so they should work fine with both the controller and my motherboard.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me wrap my head around all of this! <3 (and BOY did I save a lot of money...)

Pics of the chassis before and after would be awesome. :)

Well... there won't be much of a BEFORE because the case should arrive at the same time as the fans... :)

Although that may not be the case... I need to find out what kind of splitters this case comes with. I only have 3 chassis fan headers on my motherboard and, including the rear fan, I'm going to have four fans. So I guess I need to figure out some sort of splitter for that... I don't think I'll know for sure until my case gets here.

I can do a before/after though with my new case versus my OLD case! (Though that's REALLY not fair... :D )

Back