• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU really that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

So, I had someone mention to me I should sell off my Power Supply because is crap and could blow up my PC. What are you guys thoughts on that? If that is the case I have a 500watt Antec EartWatt that I can use until I get a better one.

Do you have a link to it? I can't find anything from what's in your sig.

So, I had someone mention to me I should sell off my Power Supply because is crap and could blow up my PC. What are you guys thoughts on that? If that is the case I have a 500watt Antec EartWatt that I can use until I get a better one.

It's an "average middle of the road" power supply. Nothing wrong with these models except they are getting a little long in the tooth.
When they were sold they approximated the current Corsair CX series. You could do a helluva lot worse.

Yep, not great but not terrible either. I wouldn't bother changing it unless it's not reading the correct voltages or is getting up in age.

Oh, okay cool. Thanks guys! I will eventually get a nice Platinum series but for now it will do.

And overall platinum is pretty much unnecessary. The cost difference to buy a platinum efficiency PSU will take years upon years of 24/7 usage to make up the pennies you are saving versus a silver or gold rated PSU.

I think it would be ignorance only trying to suit a majority and their probably most sensitive spot known as "bag of coins", be it virtually or nickel coated. There is as well enthusiasts demanding no less than cutting edge but it seems to be a rather outdated spec in this forum soon in order to serve a sheer majority. The problem considering this story is, that from a economical point of view there is no hardware part more valuable and with lesser decrease in value than a high quality supply. I once ordered the top of the line... and even today 2-3 year after the exactly same PSU is sold on the market with the exactly same price such as 2-3 years ago while any other hardware massively dropped in price, when comparable specs. The warranty is astounding 7 years... i bet it may even run in 10 years, so the "platinum or gold" efficiency is of little matter to me nor to many enthusiasts, even if it will make the price even lower than 2-3 years ago by taking away the saved power bill. But there is more to it than just power bill, its the willingness adapting to the long-forgotten enthusiasm striving for the moon and no less... because it is possible and no reason giving "the bag of coins" more power than to someones dreams... so my disapproval is now real and i do bow down to any engineer picking the stars for me because i am enthusiast and i see great value in great supplys.

I think it would be ignorance only trying to suit a majority and their probably most sensitive spot known as "bag of coins", be it virtually or nickel coated. There is as well enthusiasts demanding no less than cutting edge but it seems to be a rather outdated spec in this forum soon in order to serve a sheer majority. The problem considering this story is, that from a economical point of view there is no hardware part more valuable and with lesser decrease in value than a high quality supply. I once ordered the top of the line... and even today 2-3 year after the exactly same PSU is sold on the market with the exactly same price such as 2-3 years ago while any other hardware massively dropped in price, when comparable specs. The warranty is astounding 7 years... i bet it may even run in 10 years, so the "platinum or gold" efficiency is of little matter to me nor to many enthusiasts, even if it will make the price even lower than 2-3 years ago by taking away the saved power bill. But there is more to it than just power bill, its the willingness adapting to the long-forgotten enthusiasm striving for the moon and no less... because it is possible and no reason giving "the bag of coins" more power than to someones dreams... so my disapproval is now real and i do bow down to any engineer picking the stars for me because i am enthusiast and i see great value in great supplys.

What in the world are you on about?

Fully customizable 1A supplys and true advancement. Wont comment on ED because it is beyond understanding i am afraid.

Besides i have same question from you... "performance computing" and putting coin on the first of all spots on a supply... breaking my reality from the stuff i excpect. Well, i stop reading this section... matter solved.

Btw. There is "pricy" gold supplys too (full Japanese Caps), not platinum only, quality is more than efficiency.

I guess my question is what does any of what I THINK you mean have to do with what the the OP needs Ivy? My apologies if I missed the meaning though.

On topic and especially concise posts would help people understand. Diatribes are not helpful. :)

Let's move on and help the OP. :)

Im not someones slave, in command to serve, i have my own mind and guess thats why i will leave this section. If you make the hints just for him then set the flag according to it but i do not suggest trying to generalize your or whoevers output in a way like "all platinum are beefy freak stuff, unnecessary and not worth it" or any nonsense such as this one or nearly comparable.

And overall platinum is pretty much unnecessary. The cost difference to buy a platinum efficiency PSU will take years upon years of 24/7 usage to make up the pennies you are saving versus a silver or gold rated PSU.
Firstly he is pointing at any Platinum in general. Not a matter for a single user (there is not even a cost limit set), then he goes out to tell possible economical maths... in general without a clear target.

Last edited:
I plan to keep this PSU for at least 3 builds, will be overclocking pretty high and might be doing crossfire with it. I run about 10 fans on my case which I have several off at the moment. There is a test a friend made that show the same Intel 3930k clocked at 5Ghz with 1 MSI R9 290X Lightning (Overclocked) and similar setup that was already pushing 803watts and I feel I wanted to have the room just in case. I will find you the post one sec.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/33420#post_23296223

I plan to keep this PSU for at least 3 builds, will be overclocking pretty high and might be doing crossfire with it. I run about 10 fans on my case which I have several off at the moment. There is a test a friend made that show the same Intel 3930k clocked at 5Ghz with 1 MSI R9 290X Lightning (Overclocked) and similar setup that was already pushing 803watts and I feel I wanted to have the room just in case. I will find you the post one sec.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/33420#post_23296223

And you're not getting ANYWHERE NEAR that level of OC... Especially for daily usage.
As I said, EarthDog runs his 4930K w/ 295X2, both overclocked on a custom water loop on a 750W G2 and it doesn't break a sweat.

I can put 4.7Ghz easily on my chip. My chip does 5.0Ghz and been tested and proven. So yes I can technically do those numbers if I wanted too but I may not want to go over 4.9Ghz. I found my chip can push 360+watts overclocked. If a graphic card overclocked is pushing 300-400 watts overclocked. Imagine that? But look at it this way, as parts gets more advance I don't have to fork out money to power my rig later on. ;)

Back