• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small LCD screen mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wicka_wicka

I recently did two things:

1. Finally finished building a new HTPC.
2. Cancelled my cable TV.

The morning after the latter I tried to check if I had enough time before work to watch Sportscenter (streaming)...only to realize that, in the absence of my cable box, there is no clock in my living room. So I'd like to mod a small character LCD screen into the front of the HTPC to display the time. Is this...feasible? First things first, I suppose: where would I buy one? Back in the day, when I was more involved in such things, it seemed like there were loads of basic LCDs available for this purchase, but now I'm struggling to find one. Might I have to branch out from the PC/mod market and buy one that isn't specifically designed for such a purpose? If so, how difficult would it be to connect to my PC and control?

Necessary addendum: I can't simply hang up an analog clock as my living room is designed strangely and there's really nowhere to put it that's readily visible. And I have considered simply buying a cheap digital clock and installing it in the front of my case, but I thought this might be more fun/flexible.

Thanks!

Edit: "New Member. Join Date: Jan 2002." Love it.

Back