• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External setup for SG10, first timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tullnd

Hi,
I'll preface this by saying while I've never done water cooling before(beyond a closed loop AIO CPU unit), I've been reading up on this for a while.

I'm looking to install a system with the primary goal of lowering the volume of my MSI 290X Lightning's fans.

I have:
Silverstone SG10 case
Intel i7-4770k
MSI 290X Lightning

This case is small, not well sorted for a water cooling loop. I've currently got some small Corsair AIO on the CPU. The fans on the Lightning are crazy loud though.

My goal is a single loop to cool the CPU and the video card. I have no plans of going SLI. I do not likely see myself overclocking the CPU much if at all.

I already have the EK waterblock(and backing plate) for the 290x Lightning(got a great deal on that a while back). So I need to pick out a pump, radiator and reservoir.

I was looking at some of Swiftech expandable AIO's and then read that the pumps may be a bit loud. I was even considering swapping out to a Fractal 804 case. However, I like how small my SG 10 is. I have two 27" Dell's sitting on a corner desk, with the SG10 sitting behind them in that small space. Easy access to the front fascia ports and it doesn't eat up any other useable desk space.

So my theory is now maybe to keep the case, perhaps get a few large external rads, maybe two 240's, with some slow fans. I've read one 240 would be enough, but if I could easily run two, perhaps that'd allow enough extra cooling to run the fans even slower(quieter)? I do understand there's concerns about having enough pump pressure to go through all this.

First off...am I biting off more than i can chew by doing this? I was thinking of fabbing up some small external box, routing the tubing out from the SG10 into this box(like a base and two walls, otherwise open) and mount the rads in there with the fans, along with pump and reservoir, wiring running back into the case. I could place this either under the desk or perhaps on top of the case if I make it low profile enough.

Second...is the dual rad setup not going to get me the increase in cooling to noticeably decrease the fans speed?

Lastly...would this setup really justify 1/2" tubing? If I assemble parts, I'm leaning towards doing that just because. However, if I start with a kit, many seem to include 3/8", which I've had some tell me wouldn't be worth paying to replace it if I already have some.

I've not seen a lot of stuff out there on external setups. I've seen some of the external brackets offered by Swiftech or EK for radiators, but that's about it.

290x Lightning's fans? They are QUIET...................

Maybe something wrong with mine then lol.

I'll admit, since I'm sitting with the case ON my desk, just behind the two monitors near me, it's probably much easier for me to hear. But it's fairly noticeable. Add to it that the temps are on the higher side than I'd really like to see, it seems like watercooling is a good option. Even if I have a defective unit, I don't really feel like shipping it out to have it fixed, if the video card itself is working.

Also...I'll admit part of me just wants to play in the watercooling realm for once lol. I have the financial security to do it, so I'd like to venture into it.

Did you set them manually with MSI Fan Controller app? 40% should be PLENTY for daily driving/gaming...

What are the actual temps? You concern may not be a concern in reality. They are good to 90C... but I would be plenty happy with them at 80C for life.

Ok, anyway, your water...

1. to cool the 290x, I would get a 3x120mm radiator since you like quiet. If you want to add the CPU in, go 4x120mm worth of radiator.
2. tubing size over 1/4" doesn't matter. So long as you can reach 1-1.5GPM flow (easy) you are good.

You are really doing a lot for what I would consider a little in return. I would get a case that could handle what you are looking for internally personally. A lot of cases on the market can hand 2x 2x120mm rads...

+1 on what ED said.

Also, make sure your case, being so small and using a pretty hot GPU to begin with is getting ample air flow. Hiding it in the corner behind two monitors makes me think it isn't so ideal. Make sure its dust free and the GPU is getting good air flow. That's about it.

Back