• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Understanding OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batpimp

Registered
So I was watching this video and it helped me a lot. I wanted to share with you guys if you have not seen it.

also I have a question.

When I bumped up the CPU bus frequency to 215 my DDR 3 ram went up incrementally as well. My ram is rated for 2400mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231672
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11D-16GXM

he mentions this in the video at @ 8:15 in the video.

My question is: Am I getting the full potential of my DDR3 ram by boosting CPU BUS frequency? Before I boosted the freq my ram was at 1866.

I am unsure if now that I upped the CPU Bus Freq that I have essentially told the ram to run at 2400mhz ish or not. I was planning on setting up my ram to do so but this did it indirectly.

You can raise your RAM speed without having to touch your bus frequency by using a higher divider provided the option is in your BIOS.
Note that many AMD's really don't "Like" running much past 1866 regardless of sticks used and that's just the nature of these overall.

Your CPU, board + BIOS plays a big role in what you get in the end, high-end boards can deliver faster speeds without so much fuss with lower tier boards having a harder time getting it done provided they can at all. The CPU is another factor - Some can handle it, some can't do it so easily.

While many have reached higher speeds without a prob, it's gonna depend on the exact hardware you have - Post up the specs for your setup and we'll see what advice can be given.

oops totally forgot

Asus Sabretooth 990fx Rev 1
AMD FX8150 OC'ed to 4.4ghz
Gskill DDR3 2400mhz
750PSU
Samsung 850 EVO 500gig
R9 290 Powercolor PCS+
Swiftech 240x Liquid Cooling Setup
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Last edited:
we have found the 8150's and early 8350's could run ram between 1900 to a little over 2000 before the memory controler gave out, as far as ram "speed" don't sweat it, you will only ever see it in benchmarking.
in game or work almost never will you "see" a gain.
the issue is not to push the ram speed to where it becomes unstable and slows you down.
when you adjust the bus you adjust the north bridge, ram and cpu.
with fx and 24/7 use, for best performance I shoot for a cpu clock of 4.5 ghz, north bridge in the 2400's and ram between 1866 and 2000, paying more attention to ram timings than speed, meaning that i will give up ram speed before i will losten the timings.

Last edited:
taking into consideration what you said.

My CPU BUS speed is 215. Which is making my ram MHz read higher than 2k. Does that man I should clock it down? Id have to go home to check the actual numbers. Am I putting extreme strain on my Gskill ram for no reason? Have I inadvertently put my ram in extreme danger zone?

The video suggests upping the CPU bus speed and testing over and over until I find the number that is high enough for me. at 219 cpu bus speed I had a core fail in prime 95.

I am running at 4.4hz stable now with 215 cpu buss speed and Core multiplier at 20. I did this because he says that upping the value of CPU bus is a good way to maximize single core performance.

Prime 95 testing and a day of intense gaming and I never had high temps or crashing

I just wanna say that I am super new to this so if im doing something to endanger my parts I don't mind scaling back. I also am new to the jargon so I correct me if I am mistaken in my logic

thanks for the replies in advance.

no danger, just might make the rig unstable.
back the ram down to 1866, look at the north bridge speed, see if it's over 2500, if it is slow it down to 2200, drop the cpu multi one and start raising the buss till you get it back up close to 4.4 again, there is a bit of juggeling and tail chaseing to it, we put things in danger with voltage and heat, those are our enemys.
you will give these things up in this order, north bridge is the first you will give up, ram speed is second, ram timings third, and never, ever give up cpu speed, if temps are in check.

okay so because I have raised the CPU bus to 215. The ddr MHz went up as well. What you are saying is now I should go into my ram speed and kick it down to 1866.

So the ram speed and CPU BUS speed can be independently controlled? Even if, indirectly, the CPU BUS speed is increasing the ram MHz? If so I will kick it down a notch. I thought they were dependent events.

My temps were 39-41 peak with Prime 95 at my current settings. Things have been stable for over a day. I will report back once I get home and post a pic of my results and settings. thanks for your help.

C_D wasn't saying you need to drop the ram speed. As long as you're stable which it sounds like you are then things are fine. If you didn't set the ram timings manually it's probably running quite loose any way so it won't be an issue. Your temps were very good as well. I'm guess that when you raised the bus to 219 it dropped a worker due to not enough core voltage.

C_D wasn't saying you "NEED" to drop the ram speed. As long as you're stable which it sounds like you are then things are fine. If you didn't set the ram timings manually it's probably running quite loose any way so it won't be an issue. Your temps were very good as well. I'm guess that when you raised the bus to 219 it dropped a worker due to not enough core voltage.

key word^^^^^^^ "NEED"^^^^^^^
the bus rasies and lowers all three at the same time, plus there are things that it adjusts that they don't tell us about.
we have seen that having that buss above 300 yields better bench scores than the bus at 200 with all other clocks very close to the same.

oh alright. I might kick up the vcore up a notch then to prevent a core from failing.

That's what overclocking is all about. Once you reach instability you make some adjustment with voltage etc.. and test again. Just remember to only change one thing at atime.
If you want post up some shots of CPUz main, memory and SPD tabs as well as a pic of HWMonitor free while the PC is under load. That info will tell us a lot about what is going on with your PC.

If you want post up some shots of CPUz main, memory and SPD tabs as well as a pic of HWMonitor free while the PC is under load. That info will tell us a lot about what is going on with your PC.

Quite literally that is about the only "image (4)" that allows us miles and miles away to make valid trouble shooting suggestions. Otherwise we are most literally flying blind.

RGone...

back in 2012 when I first walked in this forum one of the things i finley did to help me wrap my head around these busses was to go into the bios, turn off turbocore, c1e, c6, core on off and all that green stuff.
set a 4.0 clock, set the ram to 1333 and the northbridge to 2000.
I booted, opened cpu-z tabs, cpu and memory, in the memory tab, I think it is it shows nb speed.
looked it all over, booted into bios and raised only the bus from 200 to 205, rebooted and looked at the tabs again, i did this many times till i got my head wraped around what that bus adjustment did and what and how it effected those three things, no benching it, no loading it, just to learn what and how it all adjusted. i got up to 250 or so before it sank into my thick head.

Cpu-z screen shots or it never happened. " OP. Wanna see what your doing before commenting.

That is one heck of a tip C_D. Because none of this makes sense really until you do it. That is one of the better ways I have heard for getting raise one but get additional three raises into the picture in ones mind. Good deal.

RGone...

back in 2012 when I first walked in this forum one of the things i finley did to help me wrap my head around these busses was to go into the bios, turn off turbocore, c1e, c6, core on off and all that green stuff.
set a 4.0 clock, set the ram to 1333 and the northbridge to 2000.
I booted, opened cpu-z tabs, cpu and memory, in the memory tab, I think it is it shows nb speed.
looked it all over, booted into bios and raised only the bus from 200 to 205, rebooted and looked at the tabs again, i did this many times till i got my head wraped around what that bus adjustment did and what and how it effected those three things, no benching it, no loading it, just to learn what and how it all adjusted. i got up to 250 or so before it sank into my thick head.

Rgone, you and MR.T were here, I came in knowing just"0", even my first attempt at building my own was being used as a doorstop for my basement office at the time, in the case ready to go but just dead.........

hey guys thanks for the replies.

I had a final yesterday after class and other things going on so I just wanted to game and relax.

today or tomorrow I should have time to post the pics up for you guys. I played BF4, HOTS etc. I was also streaming at the same time and I never got past 33degrees. Seeing as this is my first OC and Liquid cooling setup I am just going slow and steady with the OC'ing.

pics to come thanks again for the many quick and informative replies.

I do have pictures of my setup though

20150309_212115_zpsbv6p7dmi.jpg

20150309_212122_zps7xhmpjev.jpg

20150309_212155_zps0gsjfasc.jpg

20150309_212202_zpsqfpsxlka.jpg

20150309_212207_zps0dcehgxa.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20150309_212213_zpspjjqajog.jpg

20150309_212221_zpsxtg0zsll.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20150302_185110_zpsl2zq1vez.jpg

20150307_144419_zpsu3bxqdyj.jpg

20150307_144430_zpsa8qyxcjf.jpg

20150308_130759_zpsycpumop9.jpg

I should mention I DID not apply that paste as is. that was my first run where to much squeezed out.

- - - Updated - - -

20150308_131129_zps2fs6ulg8.jpg

Back