• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Understanding OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That Cpu temp is killing my eyes. 57 is a tad high under 1.4v IMHO.

Need to get a fan on that VRM package area, perhaps the back of the board where the Cpu backplate is located.

Try 2 hours at current settings After you find a way to get that cpu temp lower.

Okay I see a couple of things.

1. Put that motherboard in your signature and that it is R1.0.

2. Yes you need to cool the socket area of cpu and most of us do that with fans blowing onto the VRM heat sinks and even a fan blowing on or drawing away from the rear of the motherboard where the cpu is located on the front.

3. You started the thread NOT about overclocking the cpu but worrying about DDR3-2400 ram and trying to run it at that speed or close to it. 99.5% of the time there is no need for ram faster than DDR3-2000ish in an AMD AM3+ motherboard with FX 8 core processor.

4. One stick of DDR3-1866 ram in one memory slot of each channel of memory is all that FX-8xxx cpus support. Further you have R1.0 of that board and an FX-8150 and not the FX-8350 so both the board and the processor under normal conditions would not like to go anywhere near DDR3-2400 ram speed. The older FX-8150's did not like clocking ram as good as the later FX-8 cores will do.

So if I remember all my early system configurations, you are not using parts more or most likely to reach DDR3-2400. Some later cpus and later revision boards do not like to run DDR3-2400, much less early cpus and earlier board revisions. Now that out of the way...what it is it that you really intend to do?

RGone...

1. Brime. I went in to check the P95 test during those 30 minutes with Multi at 20 and FSB @220 and the heat temp never got that high. I believe that is somehow just showing a random number? It never went past 42 which is what core temp was showing.

Rgone.

1. updated

2. I am super new to the whole OC'ing thing so what is the socket area you mention? VRM heat sinks?

3. Alright. I went to pcpartpicker a while ago and it said that my mobo was compatible with 2400mhz ram. Not knowing that it didnt make a difference i bought it and assumed i should run it at full capacity. How do i maintain it at 1866mhz even though everytime i increase FSB it goes past that. Manually turn it down to a mhz that is close?

4. I didnt know any of that when i bought it. I have already sold my previous 1866mhz ram.

5. I intend to OC the PC as much as possible within reason. I am not trying to set world records here, but at the same time, after having started this, I realized I could get more out of my CPU.
If you are asking for numbers then I came here to ask what is reasonable for me to assume i can achieve without degrading my machine.

BatPimp.... You have a respectable 800mhz overclock running 4.4ghz. I've never seen a truely stable 5ghz FX-8150, most where good to about 4.8ghz on a decent liquid cooling loop.

Your daily OC will take much trial and error. It's the way of the walk!

okay the pc is running real good at 4.4...i was thinking 4.6 would be amazing. 1000mhz boost.

if you guys think its going to take more time fiddling with numbers than just settling for 4.4 or 4.5 ish mhz im fine with that.

- - - Updated - - -

oh thanks for all your help.

any last tips before i settle on this current setup?

You can always try for more mhz..... Leave the reference clock where it's at and up the multiplier up one half multi. Do some testing and go from there.

The 1150mhz Ram clock is fine right where it's at, so more reference clock isn't needed at this point. Cpu mhz is where it's at.

Probably need a little more cpu voltage to go more. Take it a little at a time.

alright for now I am pretty satisfied but ill try upping the ante a bit in the future.

I'm pondering that since you already have the rest of the sweet gear, if an inexpensive 8300 or 8310 might be a good purchase if you can snag one for under $115.

... because even if it's a "bad" 83xx, it will probably still pull higher clocks and performance than any 81xx. 4.5 at least.

RGone also had a thread where he did a massive number of benchmarks showing scaling of 81xx vs 83xx which I can't seem to find at the moment (argh) but it looked like 81xx didn't scale well much after 4.3Ghz, wheras 83xx did. There's also an odd affinity for "even" numbered clocks. 4.0 , 4.2 , 4.4, 4.6 , etc.

Found It - Testing-does-FX-83xx-seem-to-flat-line-after-4-3GHz

On the other hand, it is pretty fun to see what an 8150 will do when pushed to the extreme too =)

Last edited:
on another note. This case and the swiftech cooler support PWM settings. I read about it but i am not sure i can do it on this mobo? (asus sabretooth 990fx). I am not sure how to set the fans to work in tandem together. i have

i have two fans that cool the radiator.
One exhaust 140mm at the back
One intake 200+ in the front
One 140mm a the bottom of the case blowing UP..im not sure if thats intake or exhuast but its sucking in cold air from the outside.

sorry if am being confusing new to all this. Thanks again

Have you read the Enthoo Luxe PWM setup in case manual?

The PWM hub functions optimally when modulated by a PWM
signal from the motherboard, which will allow the greatest control
range. However, not all 4-pin motherboard connectors implement
the PWM signal modulation.
Connecting the 4-pin to CPU_FAN
For full PWM functionality, Phanteks’ PWM hub requires users to con-
nect the 4-pin connector to the “CPU_Fan” connector of the mother-
board, because all motherboard manufacturers implements a PWM
signal modulation on this connector. Connect the SATA 12V power to
power the PWM hub. Not all motherboards have their CPU_Fan con-
nector set on PWM signal modulation by default. Please consult your
motherboard documentation for this matter.
Connecting the 4-pin to other 4-pin header (besides the CPU_Fan)
Other 4-pin connectors can be found on modern motherboards be-
sides the “CPU_Fan” connector (e.g. “CPU_Fan2”, “CHA_Fan”, “OPT_Fan”),
however not all motherboard manufacturers implement a true PWM
signal modulation onto these connectors. These type of 4-pin connec-
tors modulate the RPM by voltage, which has a smaller control range
compared to modulation by true PWM signal.
The 12V SATA power cable can not be used to power the PWM hub if
connecting to these types of 4-pin connectors, due to the interference
with the RPM regulation by voltage (resulting in the fans running on
full RPM). The PWM hub will draw its power from the 4-pin connector,
which is limited to a total device consuming 30W in total.
Important Note:
1 motherboard connector can only read 1 RPM signal. Therefore, the motherboard
will only read the RPM signal from 1 device connected to Fan 1. The RPM form all
other devices will be regulated according to FAN 1. Y-splitter should not be connected
to FAN 1.

You have to set the motherboard Fan Control to PWM not voltage and then you would have to use the 4 pin CPU Fan Header to send signal and power to the Luxe PWM controller on the correct input and use OPT CPU Fan header on mobo to Signal the Water cooler fans.

At least that is how it seems explained since I am likely getting that case and have been following the big arse thread over at OCN in the thread for all the Phanteks cases.

RGone...

@xrror

wow I didn't know they were that cheap. My friend has a 6300 so I might convince him to take my 8150 and ill move up to 8350.

@RGone

That is so confusing but if you could link the page I can start to read up on it. I might hit you up for an explanation. I would really like it all working in sync. I am now waiting for my new monitor and getting the second r9 290.
Then finally an extra fan or two with the PWM working would be nice. all in due time.

Back