• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying an EVGA GTX 960 OC 4GB, can I still use with one of my old GTX 560 1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

The subject says it all pretty much, having two video cards is a new thing for me so please forgive a stupid question that you experts think may be dumb.

I have the basic model PNY GTX 560 with 1GB GDDR5 and I'm buying an EVGA GTX 960 4GB here soon (model name and specs below for both). Can I run the 560 separately for anything specific like PhysX or something or are these two not compatible with each other SLI (or no SLI)? Reading various google results has really confused me even further... So for SLI they have to share the same GPU architecture, but, eh what does that exactly mean? Same series (x60, x70, etc)? Same brand (EVGA, PNY, ASUS,etc)? Or maybe a better question where can I find out what each of these cards have that falls in to that category of "architecture" so I can find out if they are compatible for SLI (or not)? Or is it even possible to have a secondary card not in SLI that actually can do something like PhysX or other video effects/rendering/blowingthingsup on its own? :D

The cards:
EVGA 04G-P4-3966-KR GeForce GTX 960 4GB
128-Bit GDDR5
SuperSC ACX 2.0+

PNY VCGGTX560XPB GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi)
1GB 256-Bit GDDR5

the maxwell driver for the 960 will kill the performance of the other cards.
the driver for the other cards will kill the maxwell performance.

Drivers for maxwell and older cards are the same.
GTX560 and 960 won't work in SLI and it's waste of electricity to use GTX560 as physx card. Not to mention that most games are not even using physx or are not using full potential of physx.

To run SLI you have to use 2 or more cards which are based on the same GPU so in this case only 2x GTX960. If GPU is different like GTX560 then can be used for something else like a mentioned physx card.

Drivers for maxwell and older cards are the same.
GTX560 and 960 won't work in SLI and it's waste of electricity to use GTX560 as physx card. Not to mention that most games are not even using physx or are not using full potential of physx.

To run SLI you have to use 2 or more cards which are based on the same GPU so in this case only 2x GTX960. If GPU is different like GTX560 then can be used for something else like a mentioned physx card.

All of this, +1

Awesome guys, thank you for the quick answers (and confirmation), especially because I'm a little bored at work today. That answers that. Now I need to figure out if it is worth my time to attempt to sell my 560's or not. :D

Quick question on the quote statement. So if for example you had a GTX 960 you could not SLI a GTX 970 and vice versa? But you could SLI a GTX 960 and a GTX 960 OC though correct?

All of this, +1

Confirmed. :D

Back