• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK Waterblocks Radiator Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello,

my name is Ivan and I am the colleague of perestrojka from our croatian PCe community. We do not know each other personally, as far as I know.

The last three photos from his first post are my photos, taken directly from my thread/skydrive folder.

First, let me be direct to those who are trying to defend the company which product quality significantly dropped over last few years.

It is normal that the extender can be unscrewed. This way, if you need to remove the shroud around the radiator core, you can do it by unscrewing the 2 extenders and the small screws on both ends of the radiator.

You can simply screw the extender back in place.

As for the paint, this happen with almost every radiators brands. Even if i was really careful when installing my radiators in the past, I sometime had a few scratches on my rads too :(

I'm really sorry that you're angry at us and hope I can help you from within my power.

Sorry, this is not the extender. It is the inlet reducer to 3/8". The product does not have that mentioned whatsoever in the specification. Therefore, the existence of this part should not be notable. Even more, in telephone correspondence with EK I was told that should NOT have happened.

The inlet reducer is obviously mounted before the radiator had been painted: you can see the paint chipping off around the reducer as it was unscrewed. The O-ring (it actually looks like half the O-ring) is both structurally and visually damaged. I do not want to put the reducer back with even 1% higher chance of leak.

N.B.: my inlet reducer did not POP out, but it screwed out with ease by twisting the tubing CCW while held by compression fitting. No excessive force was used on both mounting compression fitting or twisting the tubing.

I would also like to mention that the 180 WE radiator has completely different "black" colour, especially when comparing it to PE 240: 180 WE is brownish in colour.

Oh, yes, another point: the inlet port of the 180 WE radiator is angled a few degrees, not noticable until I mounted the fitting. It is not a functional error, but it is an aesthetic one. According to EK, this is OK and happens because of the soldering process. I do not even think about explaining why this is wrong.

I dont see the huge issue? Paint the rad yourself. ANY rad you buy will lose the paint if you keep taking it apart. Honestly, i think your going overboard, way overboard.

I believe I bought the black radiator without the paint, therefore, the radiator is painted and its paint and paint finish should be satisfying. Since satisfaction is a relative term, I would satisfy with the paint not being prone to chipping under fingernails.

White Bitfenix Phenom has lousy paint quality, but this is even worse.

--

My original problem was with EK Pastel coolant, red turned purple/dark red. When I noticed, I contacted EK. Correspondence with EK started on Feb 17th and is still going on. I am keeping my temper. For now.

It is a dubious circumstance where Mayhems pastel colour, which EK sells under its own rebrand, changes colour under certain circumstances.

Since my case was one of the two recently, they have contacted Mayhems directly. To keep it short, Mayhem referenced that the user (me) is to blame as I did not flush my radiator prior using it and that they recommend I should use Mayhems in-house special formula cleaning product so this does not occur. (similar to this story)

This colour change happened inside 3 week time, from first use until I noticed it. The biggest problem is: this colour-shifted coolant left a layer of something on my waterblocks. I only wonder what has happened inside radiators. All that in 20 days. What if I kept it longer? :(

The micro channels inside the CPU/MBO block also have a fault. Report from EK says that is the tolerable error of the laser cutting. Wait, what? A CNC laser cutting machine which costs probably like a kidney or two makes such errors?

See for yourselves: http://1drv.ms/1B8NtOu

--

I am able to agree on my error and I have learned from it: I did not flush the 240mm radiator prior using the Mayhems pastel coolant. It only remains the question why is the coolant made in such a way it changes colour? I bet there are hundreds non-toxic chemicals/pigments which could provide the same visual effect. I suppose problem is they cost more and the company revenue would be lower.

I am also sure that everyone with a little salt in his head can agree with me that such things should be noted, not only on the coolant colour bottle, but also on the radiator. Simple "flush water components thoroughly before use" sticker would be enough.

In the end, I am more mad at not being treated as a customer. Instead getting back to me regulary, even with no news, they are keeping they mouth shut until I initiate the (forced) update.

After waiting until yesterday for 18 days (eighteen, 14 working days) I sent another e-mail. Not surprisingly, I received a response today morning with an apology for the delay and info that EK employee I contacted is on vacation right now and to write him yet another email next week when he should probably be back. It is not a personal e-mail, nor I received an email from a machine or automatic "out-of-office" reply.

I do think everybody has right to have a vacation, but open "tickets" should be then treated further, not be left to rot as the Mayhem coolant did in my system.

--

For me a big disappointment. After I met Edvard personally some years ago, I was convinced he is going to make it big because he had product quality out of this world. Hope it is not too late to look back to that time. For me EK was synonim for utmost quality. Unfortunately, not anymore.

Last edited:
Hello,

my name is Ivan and I am the colleague of perestrojka from our croatian PCe community. We do not know each other personally, as far as I know.

The last three photos from his first post are my photos, taken directly from my thread/skydrive folder.

First, let me be direct to those who are trying to defend the company which product quality significantly dropped over last few years.

Sorry, this is not the extender. It is the inlet reducer to 3/8". The product does not have that mentioned whatsoever in the specification. Therefore, the existence of this part should not be notable. Even more, in telephone correspondence with EK I was told that should NOT have happened.

The inlet reducer is obviously mounted before the radiator had been painted: you can see the paint chipping off around the reducer as it was unscrewed. The O-ring (it actually looks like half the O-ring) is both structurally and visually damaged. I do not want to put the reducer back with even 1% higher chance of leak.

N.B.: my inlet reducer did not POP out, but it screwed out with ease by twisting the tubing CCW while held by compression fitting. No excessive force was used on both mounting compression fitting or twisting the tubing.

I would also like to mention that the 180 WE radiator has completely different "black" colour, especially when comparing it to PE 240: 180 WE is brownish in colour.

Oh, yes, another point: the inlet port of the 180 WE radiator is angled a few degrees, not noticable until I mounted the fitting. It is not a functional error, but it is an aesthetic one. According to EK, this is OK and happens because of the soldering process. I do not even think about explaining why this is wrong.

I believe I bought the black radiator without the paint, therefore, the radiator is painted and its paint and paint finish should be satisfying. Since satisfaction is a relative term, I would satisfy with the paint not being prone to chipping under fingernails.

White Bitfenix Phenom has lousy paint quality, but this is even worse.

--

My original problem was with EK Pastel coolant, red turned purple/dark red. When I noticed, I contacted EK. Correspondence with EK started on Feb 17th and is still going on. I am keeping my temper. For now.

It is a dubious circumstance where Mayhems pastel colour, which EK sells under its own rebrand, changes colour under certain circumstances.

Since my case was one of the two recently, they have contacted Mayhems directly. To keep it short, Mayhem referenced that the user (me) is to blame as I did not flush my radiator prior using it and that they recommend I should use Mayhems in-house special formula cleaning product so this does not occur. (similar to this story)

This colour change happened inside 3 week time, from first use until I noticed it. The biggest problem is: this colour-shifted coolant left a layer of something on my waterblocks. I only wonder what has happened inside radiators. All that in 20 days. What if I kept it longer? :(

The micro channels inside the CPU/MBO block also have a fault. Report from EK says that is the tolerable error of the laser cutting. Wait, what? A CNC laser cutting machine which costs probably like a kidney or two makes such errors?

See for yourselves: http://1drv.ms/1B8NtOu

--

I am able to agree on my error and I have learned from it: I did not flush the 240mm radiator prior using the Mayhems pastel coolant. It only remains the question why is the coolant made in such a way it changes colour? I bet there are hundreds non-toxic chemicals/pigments which could provide the same visual effect. I suppose problem is they cost more and the company revenue would be lower.

I am also sure that everyone with a little salt in his head can agree with me that such things should be noted, not only on the coolant colour bottle, but also on the radiator. Simple "flush water components thoroughly before use" sticker would be enough.

In the end, I am more mad at not being treated as a customer. Instead getting back to me regulary, even with no news, they are keeping they mouth shut until I initiate the (forced) update.

After waiting until yesterday for 18 days (eighteen, 14 working days) I sent another e-mail. Not surprisingly, I received a response today morning with an apology for the delay and info that EK employee I contacted is on vacation right now and to write him yet another email next week when he should probably be back. It is not a personal e-mail, nor I received an email from a machine or automatic "out-of-office" reply.

I do think everybody has right to have a vacation, but open "tickets" should be then treated further, not be left to rot as the Mayhem coolant did in my system.

--

For me a big disappointment. After I met Edvard personally some years ago, I was convinced he is going to make it big because he had product quality out of this world. Hope it is not too late to look back to that time. For me EK was synonim for utmost quality. Unfortunately, not anymore.

WE Rads and PE Rads might look like they are in the same family but they don't.

As you mentioned the WE don't use the extender (EK-Extender G1/4 Socket - Black) like the PE.

Also the radiator housing on the WE is steel with dark grey (almost black) paint and on the PE it's aluminum with black paint. So this explain the color difference.

So from what you are telling me, your issue with the port is different then the one of your fellow modder since yours didn't popped out but simply unscrewed because it wasn't tight enough from the factory. So you must agree with me that it's 2 different issues here?

When I receive my watercooling parts (from any manufacturers) I always double check that every possible "removable" parts are correctly tighten. Things like blocks standoffs, screws, extenders, stop plugs, etc...

About your coolant problem, pastel coolant is a tricky thing and some color are more fragile than others. Red being one in particular. I had issues with it for a few times now with Mayhems Pastel. Turns darker red or purpleish or brownish in a matter of weeks. Even if my radiators were flushed prior to use them. The discoloration is sometimes due to a shifting of the Ph level in your water.

Like I said to your fellow modder, I don't handle the ticket processing so on this part I can't do anything. But I agree with you that even if a person goes on vacation, the ticket shouldn't be "on hold".

I do not care if it really is an extender, there is no extender specified for this radiator. I have compared to the real black extender, this one is completely brass painted with lousy quality black colour. The O-ring is cut in half and it barely (if any) protrudes out of the recess which serves as a "housing" for an O-ring.

The difference in the materials /radiator is made of/ does not give the right that WE has dark brown colour instead of black. Why is not invested more to have the same colour over all EK range? This discrepancy shows somebody has been saving money on "premium" products: they market it as state of the art, yet the paint is easily chipped off, extenders have to be used, which, I repeat, are meant not to unscrew or pop out of radiator, as is said to me over the phone directly from EK employee.

Regarding colour and every other product on the global market, including literally everything:

IF:
  1. the problem/defect of the product is known to the manufacturer
  2. manufacturer does not accept it as a fault
  3. Manufacturer simultaneously provides every end user with the same problem the same refusal/rejection
  4. Addresses the user with "his fault" without any intention of help
  5. In parallel tries to sell the end user another product, even through retailer (if I can call EK a retailer)
  6. the manufacturer does not even try to diminish problems by developing a new coolant-formula

...what does that say about the manufacturer?

Retailer, in this case EK, should run away from anyone's shady business.

You also forgot to give an explanation why is my G1/4 inlet on WE 180 angled. I am sure everything has a logical explanation why it happened. That does not give the right any company sells products with shortcomings.

If anyone cannot agree with my constatations he/she should ask yourself: if I bought a car, and its colour started falling off under normal usage conditions, should I keep my mouth shut and try to invent every possible logical explanation why that happened, comforting myself that way?

No, sir/madam, no.

---

Oh, one thing more: I have just checked the EK shop site, HAH, nowadays it literally says it uses extenders!

For reference: http://web.archive.org/web/20140620.../coolstream-pe/ek-coolstream-pe-240-dual.html
The same is with she Slovenian version of the page: link
In slovenian it only mentions "čep" which equals to "plug", three pieces. It also explicitly states:

"Radiator ima integrirane G1/4 navoje in omogoča priklop praktično vseh priključkov." -> "The radiator has INTEGRATED G1/4 threads and enables the use of almost every fitting."

And why does my product have different extenders? Why did I not receive the tool for screwing it back in place if it was intended for it to unscrew? Why do I have only half of the O-ring?
For every other component which required tools I received one, so now I have 10 3mm hex keys.

I have had both the separate extender together with the one from the radiator, those are two separate world considering finish quality. I see I will regret returning the black extender I did not need, just for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
I do not care if it really is an extender, there is no extender specified for this radiator. I have compared to the real black extender, this one is completely brass painted with lousy quality black colour. The O-ring is cut in half and it barely (if any) protrudes out of the recess which serves as a "housing" for an O-ring.

The difference in the materials /radiator is made of/ does not give the right that WE has dark brown colour instead of black. Why is not invested more to have the same colour over all EK range? This discrepancy shows somebody has been saving money on "premium" products: they market it as state of the art, yet the paint is easily chipped off, extenders have to be used, which, I repeat, are meant not to unscrew or pop out of radiator, as is said to me over the phone directly from EK employee.

Regarding colour and every other product on the global market, including literally everything:

IF:
  1. the problem/defect of the product is known to the manufacturer
  2. manufacturer does not accept it as a fault
  3. Manufacturer simultaneously provides every end user with the same problem the same refusal/rejection
  4. Addresses the user with "his fault" without any intention of help
  5. In parallel tries to sell the end user another product, even through retailer (if I can call EK a retailer)
  6. the manufacturer does not even try to diminish problems by developing a new coolant-formula

...what does that say about the manufacturer?

Retailer, in this case EK, should run away from anyone's shady business.

You also forgot to give an explanation why is my G1/4 inlet on WE 180 angled. I am sure everything has a logical explanation why it happened. That does not give the right any company sells products with shortcomings.

If anyone cannot agree with my constatations he/she should ask yourself: if I bought a car, and its colour started falling off under normal usage conditions, should I keep my mouth shut and try to invent every possible logical explanation why that happened, comforting myself that way?

No, sir/madam, no.

---

Oh, one thing more: I have just checked the EK shop site, HAH, nowadays it literally says it uses extenders!

For reference: http://web.archive.org/web/20140620.../coolstream-pe/ek-coolstream-pe-240-dual.html
The same is with she Slovenian version of the page: link
In slovenian it only mentions "čep" which equals to "plug", three pieces. It also explicitly states:

"Radiator ima integrirane G1/4 navoje in omogoča priklop praktično vseh priključkov." -> "The radiator has INTEGRATED G1/4 threads and enables the use of almost every fitting."

And why does my product have different extenders? Why did I not receive the tool for screwing it back in place if it was intended for it to unscrew? Why do I have only half of the O-ring?
For every other component which required tools I received one, so now I have 10 3mm hex keys.

I have had both the separate extender together with the one from the radiator, those are two separate world considering finish quality. I see I will regret returning the black extender I did not need, just for comparison purposes.

Holy complain alot batman. Welcome to an enthusiast DIY hobby. Even the most basic research on what you were buying would have revealed that the EK PE rads use extender fittings, and yes any fitting will unscrew if you over tighten the fitting attached to it and then go twisting the hose around. I have honestly never encountered anyone who thinks a fitting that unscrews is a fault, or even remotely worth complaining about.

Sure if you bought a car and there were problems you would be right to be frustrated. That isn't the right analogy here though. The car here was built and painted by yourself without doing the research first to do it right.
There are boutique builders who could do all this for you, and then you could blame everyone else to your hearts content.

If instead you want to be part of an enthusiast DIY community, then do your research and know what you are buying and how to use it.

Holy complain alot batman. Welcome to an enthusiast DIY hobby. Even the most basic research on what you were buying would have revealed that the EK PE rads use extender fittings, and yes any fitting will unscrew if you over tighten the fitting attached to it and then go twisting the hose around. I have honestly never encountered anyone who thinks a fitting that unscrews is a fault, or even remotely worth complaining about.

Sure if you bought a car and there were problems you would be right to be frustrated. That isn't the right analogy here though. The car here was built and painted by yourself without doing the research first to do it right.
There are boutique builders who could do all this for you, and then you could blame everyone else to your hearts content.

If instead you want to be part of an enthusiast DIY community, then do your research and know what you are buying and how to use it.

+1 :thup:

Well said fire. :D

Sure if you bought a car and there were problems you would be right to be frustrated. That isn't the right analogy here though. The car here was built and painted by yourself without doing the research first to do it right.......

:rofl: :clap: :clap:

Jakus, please be so kind to provide the excuse also for half the O-ring and for not returning info for 18 days. And for mayhems selling their cleaning products through EK. And why my extender has lousy finish quality. And why are my micro channels not cut properly.

It is an enthusiast's hobby, yes, but I did pay for my product and I expect any product to be without faults.

It is not a problem about the extender being part of the radiator, it is however with the faults it has.

I am not here to complain to you or everyone else or to find a solution, I am here to provide my insights. If that helps anyone, great. If you think I complain a lot, you have the right to do so.

Anyone with a tad of reason could agree on my points.

Anyone with a tad of reason could agree on my points.

I think it's reasonable to believe that one product that one person (two-ish) has an issue with isn't cause for lambasting the company.

You said...

And

For me EK was synonim for utmost quality. Unfortunately, not anymore.

Let's be clear, you're implicating the company as a whole in these statements, not directing it specifically to the product in question. I have several EK products, of which have been great in terms of fitment, build quality, and aesthetics. I don't assume it's the best company in the world because of this as I don't have everything from this company. I too think some things could be changed, but that's every company in the world.

As another example, people were destroying OCZ over their SSDs, but the ones I've had were faultless generally speaking and have served me well...and still do to this day.

That being said, where we may be able to see your reason, your comments suggest anything but.

I think it's reasonable to believe that one product that one person (two-ish) has an issue with isn't cause for lambasting the company.
Let's be clear, you're implicating the company as a whole in these statements, not directing it specifically to the product in question.

EK as a company is responsible for every single product they sell under EK brand as it is the only one they have. It bears their name. It is their responsibility. I do not care where the radiators are really made and with what procedures.

You would have different mindset if you have had seen EK in the garage back in the days, the enthusiasm Edvard had is hard to explain. He wanted to build something extraordinary and better than the competition.

More people had complaints in the near past about EK dropping quality in its products.

That being said, where we may be able to see your reason, your comments suggest anything but.

I may seem I have little reason after I have waited for 2 months to solve this problem in any way (decline my warranty or to accept the fault), but if you (or anyone else) really try to keep my points objective and not bring it down to ad hominem "discussion" you could easily reason with me.

My input here on forum may seem harsh on EK, but I would like to see what would happen when anyone who is opposing my input gets a faulty part from EK, not that I want that something similar or worse happens to anyone.

There are others with complaints about EK keeping they heads down and mouth shut because they either do not want to waste time/have agreed the products are what they are (with more or less flaws) or they do not want to battle unreasonable forum defenders and fanboys who are not able to step in our (my) shoes.

I know that EK had little to none problems with the products they sold before (3-4 years before). It is understandable to have more errors when the production becomes mass if percentage of errors is the same.

EK has reasonable employees and I hope they also do not find my posts insulting. I am keeping everything as transparent as possible.

If there is some subjective perspective in my posts, that is to be understandable.
Everyone can decide how well and in what way can they correlate with my situtation.
If anyone finds little or no correlation with what I write, please do not waste your energy trying to force me into thinking it is my fault.

I see the point, but you make it sound like the world is collapsing around EK because of a bad part or two and a delayed response. Come on... NOBODY is perfect!

I see the point, but you make it sound like the world is collapsing around EK because of a bad part or two and a delayed response. Come on... NOBODY is perfect!

I did not imply such thing is happening. Nobody is perfect, you are damn right, and as I said in the post before, errors happen. That is normal. The 2 months I am waiting for this story to end is not. Instead of enjoying my PC, I have parts lying around looking sad at me. I mean, look how pretty she was and I had to take her apart because of coolant colour. And to make things worse, extender with half O-ring unscrewed from the radiator. That was the point where I did not want to just let it go.

I took the freedom to use a reference point in the past to compare EK now and then. Blame me for that all you want, unfortunately, my experience shows the declination in general EK quality.

So, are you going to try to work with the rep here to get things corrected, or are you going to continue to take repeated shots at that with every post?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but friend, enough is enough. Your point has been made, a couple times, in this thread. You have a rep at your finger tips and, to me, you went at him more than tried to work with him.

Get the parts replaced, surely it won't happen again, perhaps help expedite things for the other dude, and move forward. :)

EK Luc did provide comforting words which do not appeal to me, reasons I have stated in response to his post. I surely do not want to repeat the same "shot" again, I am sure everyone can scroll up a bit and read. Also, I have an email conversation with another employee, so his inputs could only lead to further misunderstanding, as he seems not to be in direct contact with the employee he is communicating with me over email.

I am repeating the same damn thing every time because others are pulling my tongue and twisting my words, this repeating statements are not intended to be "shots".

As long as my words are not misinterpreted again and EK does not respond, you will not hear from me.

Seems you were the only one able to agree with me by shifting your point of view to my side.

Have a nice holidays. :)

I am not sure how you want to be helped at this point. It appears this was just a notification at best (Rant really).

My apologies if I am missing something here.

Good luck. :)

If you are considering a "rant" as a complain about something that cannot be fixed by advices from regular forum members, then, yes, this is a rant.

It is intended to be a transparent information to the public to show the other side of the coin. Everybody is strictly recommending EK and their service. I cannot do that. Since I have been waiting 2 months for anything to happen, maybe my case will magicaly be solved after it has caught attention on your forum.

I would sincerely be most satisfied if I could write next week the EK had taken care of my issues AND took my remarks with aim to improve the service, processes and quality of their products.
Nobody wants bad reputation.

If this does not bring fruit next step is personal introduction and live discussion so they understand I am a real person without problems other than explained before. That would cost me additional resources which I am trying to avoid.

I understand your frustrations as it shouldn't even have taken more than a week or two tops. That is at fault on EK's side. I think you are unleashing the beast if you will and ranting a bit.

We do hold companies responsible that mess around with the masses and not just 1-3 cases. For example, we have a thread about Asus's horrible CS. Many people have told their own stories and experiences. To EK's defense, they aren't close or haven't heard anything that would make it plausible to call them a bad or horrible company. Sure, companies go through their ups and downs, just hope you're not in the sights of them and their products when they are in the decline as it can be painfully frustrating.

In the mean time, I would try contacting them via business phone and not just emails since that can take some time.

Again, what the other rep not responding for weeks, being on vacation is inexcusable. Its understandable where you're coming from on that note.

Hope in the end, this gets worked out.

Wtf, just buy the raddest rad you can find. Both these dudes probs are ridiculous to the point of boredom.

This thread is like a biography, which nobody gaf about honestly, regarding some bs miniscule hose fitting. AS IF, everything is always supposed to be perfect, and if it's not, let's cry a river.

"Attack Of The Very Bad & Mysterious Removable Hose Monsters". All I want to know is where exactly did your pc break? A part meant to move? I'm lost...

I bought a CM Nepton 120XL . Didn't tighten anything but it to the cpu and the rad to the case. Shoots, my case blows cool air anyways.

Last edited:
Back