• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with mSATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Hello all,

So a buddy of mine has an msata slot on his mobo and originally planned on putting a 256gb chip in there, but has now changed his mind to buying a regular SSD. He tells me it bothers him that the port is empty though and tasked me with helping him find something to put in there. I figured maybe there were mSATA LED adapters or something like that but googling is coming up short. Maybe there are mSATA dummy chips? Maybe I could solder some LEDs to the dummy chip? Any ideas? Thanks :salute:

Talk your friend down off of his OCD ledge... ;)

I haven't heard of any, and a quick google didn't lead me to anything either...

Talk your friend down off of his OCD ledge... ;)

I haven't heard of any, and a quick google didn't lead me to anything either...

lol maybe a little less OCD involved, rather the want for uniqueness. How many people can say they have some internal case lighting or whatever powered off an mSATA slot? Hmmmm

Is it mSATA only or also PCIe? If the latter, a nice new 802.11ac adapter can do the trick.

There are also adapters to convert a mSATA socket into a regular SATA socket.

Is it mSATA only or also PCIe? If the latter, a nice new 802.11ac adapter can do the trick.

There are also adapters to convert a mSATA socket into a regular SATA socket.

I believe its mSATA only. Yes I saw those adapters and showed him, but he doesn't use many drives so it didn't really interest him more so than making a light from the slot or something cooler lol.

mSATA mod?

Hello all,

So a buddy of mine has an msata slot on his mobo and originally planned on putting a 256gb chip in there, but has now changed his mind to buying a regular SSD. He tells me it bothers him that the port is empty though and tasked me with helping him find something to put in there. I figured maybe there were mSATA LED adapters or something like that but googling is coming up short. Maybe there are mSATA dummy chips? Maybe I could solder some LEDs to the dummy chip? Any ideas? Thanks :salute:

Those are PCI-E adapters though. That will work in an mSATA slot?

That just links back to this thread. I was looking for something a little crazier than simple sata slot adapter or something, was hoping this modder subforum had an answer lol. I mean, i dont even know if something like that has been done with that slot but figured id ask and see what came of it. But yes, that link above is USB to mSATA. If it went the other way then that could be worked with lol.

Tell him to get over his OCD... :p
(EDIT: I already said that in your dupe thread, hahah!)

Being serious, I haven't seen anything done like that before. Perhaps you should look up the pinouts for it and see what can be done?

That said, keep the same subject to one thread please! Merging...

Back