• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC upgrades, placing dots on the i..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Going to keep some parts the same, at least for a while.

Case: Antec 1200 (will keep my case)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H (only have two requirements for a mobo, that it's gigabyte (I just like them) and that it has the ALC1150 onboard sound - I won't ever SLI or crossfire)

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K (buying this one from amazon even with the shipping costs is actually €25 cheaper than if I were to buy a 4770K in the cheapest dutch store lol!)

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (cheap moderate cooling, I will overclock, but it doesn't have to be a lot)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x4 GB 1600 MHz (cheap, 1.35v, 1600 mhz)

Graphics Card: Keeping my HD5850 as gaming is not my primary goal, however, when the new R9 3xx series come out I will probably upgrade this

SSD: MX100 512GB (cheap and great. my 512 GB HDD)

Power Supply: Will a Seasonic G550 cut it? (you'll need to know my future GPU, well it will be either a new R9 3xx OR a gtx970 as I assume they will lower the prices when the new radeons come out).

Thanks lads, appreciate it. I'll go with the G550!

Goals with PC:

Light gaming like CS, Diablo 3 and FIFA. With these games I don't have FPS issues, it's just waiting/loading times and alttabbing takes like 20 seconds because of 2GB RAM. In the future I do want to play heavier games but I'll wait for the R9 3xx series until I buy a new GPU and a new monitor. Until that time, HD5850 will work fine for me. All I do now is play light games and watch movies. The rest is just standard browsing, simple programmes and what not..

I'm going to overclock as much as I can with what I've got, but I wouldn't buy more expensive RAM or w/e to get more out of it.

don't bother with faster ram, you'll never see it with your eyes anyway.
the 4790K is a great processor, I have one and love it, but you could save a few bucks toward your next gpu by going with a 4690, it should do all you'll ever need.

By the way also, I stream games on Twitch and I learned it is CPU intensive. I forgot to mention that.

What about having hyperthreading in this case?

I can get a 4790K @ 4.0 for €300 and a 4690K @ 3.5 for €225.

So basically it's paying € 75 for Hyperthreading, 0.5 GHz, 2MB l3 Cache.

I think it's worth it in the long run. I tend to keep my PC's for a long time.

Last edited:
Thanks. There is a PCGH edition on the G550 and it's the same price. I read that it has better cooling and longer cables, should I go for the PCGH edition?

I can't find anything in English about it, I'd say go for it based on what you said about it.

I'm actually looking at new cases but I don't really have the money to buy a good one. I looked at the Corsair 230T but that would be the budget limit, I'd rather go for something cheaper. Do you have any cheaper cases to recommend?

I prefer windowed, unless that would make me go over my budget.

NZXT makes very nice budget cases.
My server is in one, and it's 4 years old now, seen 4 or 5 builds, and is still does a great job!

Nice case there with the S340.
The height on the cooler will be the biggest dimension, so 159mm. Cutting it too close would be putting a cooler in that's 161mm tall.

To answer your PM, the board you picked still has headers for USB2.0 front connections.

Hmm, then to make final decisions, would it be a step down to get this case over my antec 1200?

cons:
doesnt have drive bays for SSD, so would just have to lay it down somewhere lol
no USB 3.0 ports
5 years old..

pros:
its quite cool with the 6 fans..
no cost cause I already have it..

What about a

Last edited:
I don't see any downgrades by going with the S340.
Fans can be swapped to a new case, so that's not really a pro.

Okay guys, the SATA powerconnector cables that came with are angled and I cannot mount my SSD on the bracket cause they have to be flat :(

Last edited:
Back