• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

I asked on reddit in r/vpn but Idk if I'll get any answers for my questions since it seems pretty dead there. I am going to link the post here since I typed it up and it was meant for them there. Don't want to reword it all haha.

Here

I copy and pasted your writing for you... ;)

Read the FAQ's. I have looked into VPN's slightly in the past but have not read into how to set one up and or how they work in such great detail. Would like some clarification on a few things if possible.

I have torrented in the past heavily and looked into things relating to pyrotechnics in some sketchy parts of the internet but now I have pretty normal browsing practices. I am no longer worried about the content I view getting me in trouble because nothing can raise any flags of any sort. I am however worried about accidentally getting a copyright infringement notice again since with my current ISP I have about 11-12 notices for movies and a tv series haha. I was told about popcorn time the other day. I decided to allow the person who told me about it to set it up on my computer while I was doing something. I came back and noticed they had pulled up a stream of a movie in damn good quality. I had him shut it off so I could look into it a bit more. Saw some people reported getting copyright notices due to the way the program works (peer-to-peer). I am not really sure if I am allowed to discuss torrenting since on other forums I have been on it has been prohibited. That is one reason I was thinking of getting a VPN.

Another reason is one I am not really sure I understand very well about VPN's. If I was to make a purchase on a website and wanted a secure connection would there be any way to establish one via the VPN? I see websites sometimes have certificates stating they are secured selling sites (looks kind of funny to me) and or the url will change to HTTPS but I heard about a compromise in HTTPS for a website called tumblr a while back. I also have put in information in the past for things relating to work that require personal information. Would VPN's secure those connections? If so how?

Could I simply turn on and or off the service for connections I want a bit more security with? Is it a long process to do so or is it as simple as running a program/special browser/signing into something for a specific task(as you can see I don't really know how the VPN is set up lol)?
I have also heard that connections as slowed a bit and can disconnect as well. Do disconnects happen often? I have ~60mbps down and ~4.3mbps up. Know of VPN's that won't slow too much and or at all with that sort of bandwidth?

Sorry in advance if I have asked something that was answered in the FAQ's I may have missed.

i use private internet access, great customer support, cheap $40 a year, pretty decent speeds simple software.

tl;dr: anyone outside your lan watching your traffic will see the vpn's ip address.

so say you are torrenting something, someone else downloads the tracker info and starts looking up ip's to see where they belong to, when they get to yours it will be your vpn's ip not your own. all your pc's traffic is basically funneled through there.

deskdop>internet>vpn>internet>server

my vpn never goes down, but speed is iffy, its usually between 10 and 30mbs my max is 30mbs so idk how fast it can really go. but from what ive read, thats pretty good for a vpn.

Last edited:
i use private internet access, great customer support, cheap $40 a year, pretty decent speeds simple software.

tl;dr: anyone outside your lan watching your traffic will see the vpn's ip address.

so say you are torrenting something, someone else downloads the tracker info and starts looking up ip's to see where they belong to, when they get to yours it will be your vpn's ip not your own. all your pc's traffic is basically funneled through there.

deskdop>internet>vpn>internet>server

my vpn never goes down, but speed is iffy, its usually between 10 and 30mbs my max is 30mbs so idk how fast it can really go. but from what ive read, thats pretty good for a vpn.

Those speeds would sort of irk me but seeing as I don't torrent at all anymore due to copyright infringement notices in the past I don't really need to worry. The only real reason I mentioned the torrenting was because of that popcorn time program. Doubt I would use it anyways seeing as I am pretty well off because of my bundled services (tv,phone & internet) and the intro pricing in my area for the next year. Have you heard of any info from them being forced out because of illegal activity using their service or are they pretty reliable in that sense?

How easy is it to shut off or not use the VPN for normal browsing?

Any data limits?

I also use PIA, no complaints here. I have an 18mbps connection (which I generally see about 20mbps) and I get full speed while going through VPN consistently, even with endpoints abroad like Switzerland. If you have a higher internet connection, you probably will see speeds diminishing. Most VPNs that you buy have their own client, and you connect to the VPN whenever you want to use it, the rest of the time you don't have to use it. From an end-user perspective, think of it as connecting to a secondary wi-fi network. Click an icon in your system tray, pick the VPN endpoint (whatever country you want it to route through), and connect. When you're done, disconnect.

Especially since I travel a lot for work, accessing work or personal stuff in the airport without a VPN would be a bad move. For $40 a year I get the peace of mind of completely end to end encrypted traffic, worth it for me.

I'll give it a go for a month then and see how I like it.

I am using PIA also, its cheap and works well (I built the VPN on my Pfsense router so all of my devices can use it. This also give me the ability to policy route, so only some of my traffic [such as torrent] goes through the VPN). I get 50 down, 10 up even through the VPN (I have a 50/10 connection).

I am using PIA also, its cheap and works well (I built the VPN on my Pfsense router so all of my devices can use it. This also give me the ability to policy route, so only some of my traffic [such as torrent] goes through the VPN). I get 50 down, 10 up even through the VPN (I have a 50/10 connection).

Trying it for a month. Going to run Popcorn and possibly attempt torrents just to see if I get a copyright notice. Speeds seem fine so far as well. Policy based routing should be fine for a small network of 4-5 devices on a single router running dd-wrt or tomato right?

Back