• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a portable gaming laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

Hello

I am looking to buy a fairly portable laptop but also convenient for casual gaming. I don't have a spending limit.

The ones which caught my eye are the MSI GS series, specifically MSI GS60 2QE or GS70 2QE, they pack a nice GTX 970M.
What do you guys think about those laptops, they are pretty slim for such a hardware.

My first question is: There is a 4K version of both laptops, is 4K just too much for a 15/17 inch laptop?
My second question is: Should I get 15 or 17 inch since I will carry the laptop a lot around, but also write many essays and research online?

Thank you.

I actually just recently got one, the GS60 Ghost pro -044 configuration, and so far haven't found much that makes me regret it. Main problem I have with it is the touchpad took a lot of fiddling on the software side just to get to "meh". It's thinner and lighter than your typical gaming laptop so it's fairly portable. Been on a few business trips with it and had no problem having it in my bag with work laptop and several folders.

The 15" screen is plenty big, and I've went with a few 17" laptops before and while nice once you get somewhere, portability suffers, obviously. The downside to these laptops is that while slightly thinner, they are a bit wide for the screensize. With the 15" screen I had to look at cases for a 16" laptop so it'll fit. With the 17" version I wouldn't be surprised if was as wide as an 18" laptop.

As for the 4K screens, I read into it and decided on the standard 1080P model. Many programs don't seem to scale well yet on the smaller screens. Plus, if you do plan on playing any games, the single 970 will struggle. But at 1080P it flies.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for a detailed reply.
I think I will also go with the GS60.

Regards.

Back