• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bootable CD....Burn Image or Data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterabbit391

Registered
I am trying to put windows xp on an old computer, which had to have the hard drive replaced.
It seems that the bios does not have a USB option and will only boot from hard drive or CD, since hard drive is wiped, my only option is to create a bootable CD, which I have no experience with.
SO.....

I got the most popular windows XP ISO,

when burning it to a CD, the burning program asked me to burn the Data, or the Image.

My instinct was data, but i decided to burn the image.

the computer doesn't react at all to it.

Should I burn the data ? Just wanted to make sure before I waste another CD......

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting an actual operating system from an unknown source exposes you to risk of already inserted malware into the operating system itself from the moment you install it.
Having said that, you may need to make sure that AHCI drivers are inserted into the iso and that iso is bootable.

well I'm not too concerned about the welfare of the computer as far as malware goes,
it's a rescue operation, on an otherwise dead computer.

that is of course depending on what kind of malware it is.....

In any case, I was able to get into the bios and change the boot order, and it booted from the .iso image disc, but not the one that I burned the data on.

Learning things the hard way........

If I get it up and running, I'll try to find someone with a known legitimate copy of XP.

It's my parents computer and that's what they're used to......

If the computer you are using to create the install disc has Windows 8/8.1 on it, put a blank DVD in the burner, close the Windows prompt asking you what kind of disc you want to burn (either like a floppy or a data disc) and then navigate to the folder where you have the Windows ISO file stored. Right click on the ISO file and left click on "Burn disc image" and it will do the job for you. Not sure if it works this way with earlier versions of Windows but 8/8.1 has built in image burning capability.

Got everything going, then it went to a screen in the setup that needed a mouse, and the mouse wouldn't work, it's not recognizing any mouse, so I gave up on it.

Somehow, miraculously , after installing the old INFECTED hard-drive, it preformed some sort of check disk, and booted into windows.
(where formerly the Virus would take over and you couldn't do anything expect send money via MoneyPak to the scam artists. )
So, problem solved, I just need to find a good free virus scanner for it. (because I don't have 40 dollars to put into this dusty beast)
Thanks for your help guys. Case closed unless you have any recommendations for good malware removal software. I already tried the Trinity recovery CD, but it didn't find anything, but It might be what scared the trojan into hiding. :shrug:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Keep pressing F8 to boot into Safe Mode of the infected PC, then install Malwarebytes and run a full scan.
Reboot normally (not into Safe Mode), update Malwarebytes, then run it again.

did you get a real or fake cryprolocker?
to help prevent a real cryptolocker download the free version of cryptoprevent.
install a free av, zonealarm or something for the thing.

To do a thorough job of cleaning malware from your computer, first disable your present AV software and then:
1. Reset all brower home pages to what they should be if they have been hijacked.
2. In IE, go into Manage Add Ons and set the search engine to what you want. Delete or disable other search engines that could be malware.
3. In Chrome, go into Settings and set the Start Up Page to something you want and delete all suspicious additional entries in that box. Then Go to Seach and set the search engine to what you want. Delete all suspicious search engines.
4. Go into Programs and Features and delete all suspicious entries. If you are not sure what they are, Google them.
5. Run Malwarebytes free version (uncheck the Trial option for the premium version during install). Reboot.
6. Run ADWCleaner. Get it from Bleeping Computer
7. Run Hitman Pro (choose the one time option so you don't commit to the paid version)
8. Run Eset Online Scanner
9. Uninstall your old AV software.
10. Install a good AV product. Avira free version is excellent.

Now you should be clean. I do this all the time in my computer repair business and I have found this cocktail effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Back