• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a dual socket LGA 1366 board that can be overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Since LGA 1366 Xeons are unlocked, I'd like a 2P board that lets me.

Been looking at an upgrade, but Haswell Xeons are too spendy as are the v2 Xeons/systems.

The Xeon X5690 3.46 GHz Six Core SLBVX are within reach and bench only 2.8 times slower the top 18 core v3 Xeon for 1/20th the cost. I can live with that as it's almost 5 times faster than my Q6600 LGA 775 system.

There are a couple Asus boards that have some OC features, but not enough to get the job done. The SR-2 is really the only option.
Board is still expensive too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-SR-2-S...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4637078067

Yeah, I recall seeing some, but nothing enthusiast level.

FWIW, those aren't cheap CPUs. Usually ~$200/ea, IIRC, but it definitely isn't a cheap board.
Never was, never will be. I think it was ~$500 new?

Audioaficionado, what do you do to need a ton of cores like that?

One of my partners in crime just picked one up and it still cost him $400 used.

Yeah, I recall seeing some, but nothing enthusiast level.

FWIW, those aren't cheap CPUs. Usually ~$200/ea, IIRC, but it definitely isn't a cheap board.
Never was, never will be. I think it was ~$500 new?

Audioaficionado, what do you do to need a ton of cores like that?
Just because I like dual/quad socket boards and my Q6600 is getting old and gray like me :D
actually the CPU's are quite cheap. You can pick up a couple @ Server Supply for 40 bucks.
Couldn't find any cheap Xeon X5690s. ~$200+ Link?
EVGA SR-2
I wish! I was hoping some dual socket board had a modded bios or set fsb worked with them. SR-2 keeps going up in price. How about Skulltrail? Never mind it's LGA 771 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you want hex core chips, you can get the X5660 for ~$60/ea. They'll OC to the limits of your cooling just like an X5690.

I was just wondering if you needed the cores for a reason or "just because" :p

I had a Sr-2 for a short while they are fragile and are basically all out of warranty now so tread carefully buying used boards. With that said it was tons of fun having 12 cores and a massive motherboard.

Just because I like dual/quad socket boards and my Q6600 is getting old and gray like me :D

Couldn't find any cheap Xeon X5690s. ~$200+ Link?

I wish! I was hoping some dual socket board had a modded bios or set fsb worked with them. SR-2 keeps going up in price. How about Skulltrail? Never mind it's LGA 771 :rolleyes:
My bad I didn't read your post correctly. That being said I'm running X2 E5520's I picked up for 20 bucks a piece. Pair those with a SR-2 and you'll be humming.

If you want hex core chips, you can get the X5660 for ~$60/ea. They'll OC to the limits of your cooling just like an X5690.

I was just wondering if you needed the cores for a reason or "just because" :p
Since OCing seems like it's gonna be an issue, I'll go for the fastest 12 cores I can get. I do like to be able to run multi-threaded apps fast, but it's 'just because' too.
I had a Sr-2 for a short while they are fragile and are basically all out of warranty now so tread carefully buying used boards. With that said it was tons of fun having 12 cores and a massive motherboard.
Now I'm starting to also look at Super Micro boards (if OC as an option isn't possible).

Several of their 4P AMD G34 Opteron boards have a modded bios, but I don't know about their 2P intel boards.

SetFSB works on some of those boards. Check the PLL and see if it's supported. You'll have no voltage control but at least you'll be able to bump the Bclk a little.

There are only a few hidden options in the latest BIOS for that board. Nothing for overclocking.
From what I see, Yep. just a solid board. The only option that might have any effect is the "CPU Ratio" option I see in the BIOS..

6th PCI slot from the left. The rectangle chip above it.
Looks like it.

PLL's are found beside the crystal that controls them.

EDIT: Looks like an ICS chip!
Good sign!

Last edited:
Back