• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a dual socket LGA 1366 board that can be overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm well aware of what VM's are, but just because you're running VM's doesn't mean you instantaneously need 128GB of RAM.

Didn't see anywhere you mentioned ECC until now though. That does kill any non-Xeon chips from Intel.

Well I got the board on ebay for $170 shipped. Also got a pair of E5620 Xeons for $40 and two sticks of Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 1333 Reg ECC memory for $40 to get by until I can get more. I've got to dry fit everything so to speak to make sure the motherboard is functional.

Now I need a couple of dirt cheap coolers so I don't burn the CPUs during testing.

I'm well aware of what VM's are, but just because you're running VM's doesn't mean you instantaneously need 128GB of RAM.

Didn't see anywhere you mentioned ECC until now though. That does kill any non-Xeon chips from Intel.

I should have been more explicit in the beginning :D
Thanx for all your insight. I appreciate your input.

I should have been more explicit in the beginning :D
Thanx for all your insight. I appreciate your input.

Ah, I read that as "oh, I got ECC". Figured you just got it since you got a good deal on it :p

Any way, either will be a nice system, just thinking about all the options :thup:

My goal was to get a dual socket system that I could get started on a shoe string budget <$300. Once I have a working system, I can slowly upgrade it at my leisure. That's how I built my Asus Commando system. Got a dirt cheap motherboard that took the new C2D processors and also took my old DDR memory and AGP card. So eventually once I got a PCIe card and DDR2 memory on that board I was ready to transplant all that new tech over to the Asua Commando motherboard. Then I eventually got the bux for a C2Q and more memory sticks, etc.

I've always preferred multiple socket server/workstation boards over single socket boards. My first real computer was a dual socket Pentium Pro 200 Micron Millennium. I couldn't afford both processors so I ordered it with only one. I got the 2nd processor a few years later at a much reduced price. $50 used vs $600 new. Also upgraded the original 32MB of ECC memory to the maximum of 128MB a few years later for a lot less. That original semi crippled machine cost me over $3k new. I still have it lol. I then upgraded to AMD as they were beating Intel at that time and for a lot better price. Then the pendulum swung back over to Intel again with the netburst architecture. So I got anther dual socket Xeon board that could be overclocked like mad. Iwill DH800 was an amazing board and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Now I'm on to an older dual socket system that beats my even older LGA 775 by almost 5:1 yet only gets beat by 50% from the latest dual socket 2011v3 system of comparable processors.

Got the processors last Saturday. Got the board today. Should get the memory tomorrow. All three were free shipping. :)

However the $15 cpu coolers I got from a guy on the East coast who charged $18 shipping and got the order last Thursday and finally got around to shipping it out late this afternoon :mad:

I'll be lucky to get them by this week. What a jerk! :snipe:

[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz Average CPU Mark = 8279 What I have now.

[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47GHz Average CPU Mark = 14444 What I'll upgrade to.

[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz Average CPU Mark = 20304 Latest and greatest v3 six core.

Notice that the latest and greatest beats my 6 core only by 28.9%. Considering the price difference :shrug:

[Dual CPU] Intel Xeon 3.30GHz 888 My Iwill DH800

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.00GHz OC Average CPU Mark = 3720 Single Thread Rating: 1155 My Asus Commando

Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz Average CPU Mark = 11244 Single Thread Rating: 2533

Just ran it for the hell of it. Can't say what these symethic benchmarks really mean, but the CPU Mark score was 14,826

Well I knew it wasn't his almost 12 year old PC-DL Xeon duallie :D

My LGA 1366 Xeon Intel coolers came in this morning. They have the 80x80mm hole spacing, but they're the plastic push pin type that might not work without major modifications. My board has the metal back plate with m3 threads. Looks like today's the day I'll get to test out the board :clap:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Got the Intel E29477-002 copper cored aluminum stock heat sinks on. Was a bit of a PITA, but nothing a good pair of wire cutters, M3x10 screws, washers and a little ingenuity couldn't overcome. :thup:

$_12.JPG

I'll hook it all up tomorrow and see if it works.

Last edited:
I'm watching this thread very closely. I recently got a matched pair of x5670's for $50 ea. They can do about 3.6ghz on stock volts.

I'd be very interested in a board that can use setfsb to get them up to 3.4ghz or so, not really interested in a $500 board though :).

Ran a quick run of PerformanceTest with my [email protected], it scored 11737.

Last edited:
I don't know if there is any SetFSB for this board. Didn't see any listed for SM past LGA 771/775.

I'm not gambling with my setup. I'll try contacting them to see if they are still active. If so then maybe negotiate for them to write one for my chipset.

Who said anything about gambling??
If it works it works, if not you'll have to reboot :D

I wonder if they still take requests though... guess we will find out eh?

Back