• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 860k doesnt seem to increase clock multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xKickingWingx

Registered
I've been trying to oc my pc but according to cpu-z and amd overdrive my clock speeds are at around 1.7ghz, and i dont know what im doing wrong.
my rig is
MSI A88xm gaming
AMD 860k
8 GB DDR3
evga 750ti sc
amd.png
amd2.png

Last edited:
Welcome to "OCF"...

xKickingWingx said:
amd overdrive my clock speeds are at around 17ghz

17GHz is a new world record I would guess. Now about 1700Mhz or 1.7GHz is likely what is seen when the cpu is not loaded. The cpu idles back in speed when n0 load is applied.

RGone...

I've been trying to oc my pc but according to cpu-z and amd overdrive my clock speeds are at around 17ghz, and i dont know what im doing wrong.
my rig is
MSI A88xm gaming
AMD 860k
8 GB DDR3
evga 750ti sc
View attachment 163266
View attachment 163267

It's keeps that speed even when I'm running stress tests, I also have the cool and quiet off, and the power options set to high performance. And yes I meant 1.7

Why is your Ref Clock at 0? I'm just not used to seeing overdrive, I've never used it to overclock.

AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad-Core 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W ...

So that means the default multiplier "should be" 18.5 and the default HT Ref Freq aKa FSB should be 200 not 100.

Maybe you have used some software overclocking tool or some kind of overclocking genie in bios or you have something seriously mis-set in bios.

But it is certain the multiplier should be set to 18.537 and the FSB to 200100 to have the 3700MHz stock speed of the processor when loaded.

Maybe you need to clear the CMOS and begin again.

RGone...

EDIT:
Finally found something that 'actuallly' specified what the Default HT Ref Freq was for 860K Kaveri processor and it is 100 not 200 as I wrote originally.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Yeah CpuZ is better for me, sorry just not used to look at that display. Perhaps you can clear cmos and try overclocking from the bios instead of using overdrive.

I did try to overclock from bios and was just using amd overdrive to check temps, but I think that my problem is that I used the oc genie, so I'm clearing my CMos right now and will check back in

the same numbers

- - - Updated - - -

my FSB wont even let me set it to 200, the color turns red then it changes back,

on my bios it says the multiplier is whatever i put into it, for example right now i have it set as 37, but its automatically gets set as 17, and when i go back to my bios it is still set to 37. the base clock is set to 100 and if i try to increase it, it doesnt work, the most i could increase it and have my comp and even start windows was to 102

Interesting.

I got this from your motherboard manual

We recommend that you do not to make any modification in OC menu and do not to
load defaults after enabling the OC Genie function.

Updating BIOS or clearing CMOS is not allowed in OC Genie mode, and it may
cause OC Genie function fail or other effect.

Did you clear CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes or closing the jumper in the clear position?

Interesting.

I got this from your motherboard manual

We recommend that you do not to make any modification in OC menu and do not to
load defaults after enabling the OC Genie function.

Updating BIOS or clearing CMOS is not allowed in OC Genie mode, and it may
cause OC Genie function fail or other effect.

Did you clear CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes or closing the jumper in the clear position?

Man that is crazy as hale!!! I never heard of such stuff. The idea behind clearing of CMOS is to revert any user changes back to default/stock.

By the way I went back and editted my other post since I was "wrong". The standard FSB is 100 not 200 on APU Kaveri.

Not sure we have seen any of these MSI boards in here yet and may not see many since they have had such a bad blown Mosfet reputation. But I found this article/review with pics of the bios using 860K on MSI FM2+ Gaming mobo.
AMD Athlon 860K Black Edition CPU Review

RGone...

This pic is from about the only FM2+ Gaming mobo I saw anything about at the MSI forum. The user was having memory issues with DDR3-2400 ram but the bios pic shows how 860K showed up at 3700MHz.

RGone...

RSo0Nv.jpg

That picture just shows the default settings

- - - Updated - - -

In the bios it shows the right ghz for me also but when I check anything when booted it is locked at 17x

Back